Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Terrence Malik to Release ‘Song to Song’ in March

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Terrence Malik’s new film, Song to Song, will be released in March of 2017:

In this modern love story set against the Austin, Texas music scene, two entangled couples — struggling songwriters Faye (Rooney Mara) and BV (Ryan Gosling), and music mogul Cook (Michael Fassbender) and the waitress whom he ensnares (Natalie Portman) — chase success through a rock ‘n’ roll landscape of seduction and betrayal.

Ok, I’m in.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. @Jason Tate Maybe this will be the one movie we agree on this year?

3. MrAirplane

Trusted

wasn't christian bale going to be in this?

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

According to IMDB: "Christian Bale was initially set to have a much more substantial role in the film but he ended up working only three to four days on the set."

Also, Gosling was on Kimmel a few weeks ago and he said he shot all his scenes back in 2012 and didn't even know much about the film - nor if or when it'd ever come out.

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This sounds fantastic

7. ReiAndCoke

Sounds good, but Tree of Life was one of the few movies I've ever contemplated walking out on in the theatre. Hopefully this is better. (edit: apparently Tree of Life is 85 on metacritic... I would give it a 2/10).

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah that one is a "love it or hate it" kind of film. It's very much an open-ended film, and if that kind of style isn't your thing I can see why you'd want to walk out on it. I knew it was going to be bizarre/open ended going in, so I just tried keeping as much of an open mind as possible.

His best will always be "The Thin Red Line" though

9. When I left the theater, I honestly had no idea whether I liked the movie a lot. But thankfully I saw it with one of my most thoughtful friends, so afterwards, he and I spent two or three hours talking about the film together. After that conversation, we both realized how much we (in retrospect) loved the film.

coleslawed likes this.
  10. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The Tree of Life is potentially his masterwork and To the Wonder is maybe even better

Chase Tremaine and Jason Tate like this.
  11. tumbleweedterror

music is all we got

This sounds great but that cast is so bad. I keep hoping I'll love another Malik movie as much as Tree of Life, maybe this will be the one.

12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

What?

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. tumbleweedterror

music is all we got

The male cast, that is. Fassbender and Gosling are both uninteresting and lackluster imo, not to mention Fassbender being an abuser. I'm stoked about Natalie Portman and Rooney Mara, though.

14. Nathan

Gosling had an unfortunately extended period of uninteresting, brooding, James Dean-lite roles, but has let himself breathe and do more in recent movies, and we're all better off for it. He's great in La La Land and exceptional in the Nice Guys.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. hienz4

That cast is A+

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

What are some of his 'uninteresting' roles? I think Gosling is EASILY one of the best actors working today and have felt that way since The Believer.

17. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

In the last few years I have learned to completely let my unfounded dislike of Ryan Gosling go and he's probably one of my favorite actors now

18. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

This is the one that was partially filmed at Fun Fun Fun Fest wasn't it?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Not sure which festival but yeah St Vincent, Patti Smith and a bunch of others are performing in it

20. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  21. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Oh, how I love Ryan Gosling. I was so scared when he went on "hiatus". Guess that didn't last long, and is there an actor with better choices in roles? I can't name one. So badass.[​IMG]

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  22. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I used to loathe him for no reason. Since Drive and Blue Valentine I've had an unhealthy man crush. Weird how our perspectives change as humans.

tdlyon likes this.
  23. Nathan

I love Gosling, but all the brooding and posturing he did in Blue Valentine/Place Beyond the Pines/Gangster Squad/Drive/Half Nelson/Only God Forgives runs together and is pretty same-y. I like a couple of those movies fine, but am glad he's showing other aspects of what he can do.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  24. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Get out! Blue Valentine is like a horror movie for me, it's too real. Recall his drunken breakdown when he confronts Cindy at the hospital? Explosive. My dad used to think the same thing, and the other day he just blurted out "I love Ryan Gosling". He can do it all, it's that for Drive and Only God Forgives the role called for that acting style. He was merely following direction. Prior to all those movies is "The Believer", in which he is frighteningly good as the Jewish neo-nazi.

25. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

That courtroom drama, whatever it was is the only one that is flat. Even when brooding, he's interesting. Start w/ Blue Valentine, much of it was improvised and will be a dagger in a heart to anyone who's ever tried to save a dying romance.