Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tennis Discussion Thread • Page 5

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Mar 19, 2016.

1. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Man, watching the Nadal / Monfils match. Monfils just couldn't stop with the unforced errors.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Venus. Simply amazing she keeps doing it.

Not even going to pretend like I don't want Federer/Nadal and Serena/Venus finals out of the remaining field.

3. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

I'd be happy with anyone but Vandeweghe taking the tournament out in that women's draw.

4. Garrett

That was such a ballsy fake medical time out and it worked amazingly. I'd hate it if it wasn't hilarious.

5. Garrett

This second set has been a battle, but that first set may be Serena's best tennis since winning Wimbledon.

6. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Starting to get a bit nervous about the semi final tonight. Let's do it, Federer!

Garrett L. likes this.
  7. Garrett

Watching the ladies semis? Venus/CoCo has been tense.

8. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Just switched it on probably five minutes ago, but I've been following it on the app. Certainly not disappointing anyone so far - some great power hitting out there!

Anyone in particular you're supporting?

9. Garrett

Venus has been my favorite since I was 8 years old and just beginning to play, so I'll always root for her. Seeing a young American like CoCo make it this far is fantastic, though, and it wouldn't be the worst thing if she won. Venus has been making some beautiful forehands on the run today. It's great to see her roll the years back.

Rooting for Serena in the second, and I'm always a fan of hers, too. Venus-Serena is such a hard watch if that's the final we get.

WhosBroden? likes this.
  10. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

I thought Venus was just about physically and mentally done a couple of years ago, but what she's been able to achieve in the twilight of her career has just been remarkable. When you factor in the severity of those injuries she's suffered over the years also, this resurgence in form has been even more impressive. She's still so consistent and difficult to beat.

This has been a second set full of heart and grit from Venus. A lot more aggressive, she's hitting her spots on her serve and her returns have been a lot deeper in the court.

Garrett L. likes this.
  11. Garrett

Yeah, since the Sjogren's diagnosis she's been nothing sort of inspirational. She's such an icon and so graceful.

I'm worried for the third set. *knocks on wood* CoCo is fiery and younger. Dangerous combo.

12. Garrett

Her serve is finally back. Hope that lasts the match.

13. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Absolutely, but I suppose that could also be a negative. CoCo has never been this far in a tournament before, that fiery temperament could get her into some trouble if things begin to unravel, and it's going to be interesting to see how she handles the pressure. Serving first is a big advantage though - you always feel ahead on the scoreboard.

Venus has the older and slower body but she also has that crucial experience in big game moments. Going to be an intriguing set! Break point as I type.

Edit: Yes, Venus. Consolidate it!

Garrett L. likes this.
  14. Garrett

She's gotta hold out. But breaking is good, too. Just end it, girl. Bring it home.

I'm so sleepy and Serena's hasn't even started yet.

WhosBroden? likes this.
  15. Garrett

I'm not crying you're crying

WhosBroden? likes this.
  16. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Haha, brilliant. A true champion.

Must be an amazing feeling for you too being a lifelong Venus fan, so congratulations! Now to see whether Serena advances... That's a dream final right there.

Garrett L. likes this.
  17. Garrett

We're not worthy of Venus. That post-match interview was everything. Who needs sleep.

18. Garrett

Thanks! I still remember watching her first major win. It's amazing how far we have all come in the interim.

If we end up with Serena-Venus and Roger-Rafa finals, man. Roll back the clocks the GOATs are in session.

19. Garrett

Serena is just something special. Really happy MLB made it this far.

20. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

First set Federer! This is a beauty. Two more, Fed!

21. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Yessss! One more!

I think Stan's beginning to cramp too maybe. He was certainly shaking his legs around a bit at the back of the court between points and service games.

22. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Stan takes a medical time-out and suddenly Federer has a massive lull and gets broken twice in a row. This third set is all but done. Need to get back on top in the fourth because this is dangerous.

Wow. 6-1. That's some of the worst tennis I've seen Federer play in years.

23. JM95

Trusted

Federer through to the final.

Really want one last Fed-Nadal final. Come on Rafa.

24. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

I don't have any nails left. What a match. I still feel legitimately sick from nerves watching that.

#BEL18VE

Garrett L. likes this.
  25. Garrett

Another roll back the clocks moment is the Bryan bros made the doubles final. What's going on down under?!

WhosBroden? likes this.