Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tennis Discussion Thread • Page 40

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Going to turn on the Tomljanović match in a minute. This is a big test for her, the #5 seed and will be her top result in a major if she pulls it off.

I forgot how much I actually love tennis, I really haven’t watched very much since Sharapova retired.

2. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I hope Kyrgios loses

3. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Fuck yeah Kyrgios lost let's gooooooo

4. Silentjury

Regular

As happy as I am that Nick lost, I do wonder if it sets up a more boring semifinal. I think Ruud takes it easily. Weirder things could happen, but I hope they don't because as much as a wide open Grand Slam can be fun once in awhile, it would be disappointing to come away with Khachanov being the winner. Maybe it won't matter with the way Tiafoe/Sinner/Alcaraz/Rublev are playing. I'm cool with any of those four winning.

Gauff played fine but Garcia is playing on an entirely different level than anyone else. As cool as it would have been to have Serena retire and the torch be handed off to Gauff, there are simply some better players than Gauff right now. And there's nothing wrong with that; Gauff is only eighteen. I hope a narrative doesn't emerge with her that she can't win a Grand Slam. She is close but a few tweaks with her game and she will come away with one here soon.

Garrett likes this.
  5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Garcia was exceptional last night.

6. Garrett

"ESPN said Tuesday that Williams' expected farewell to Flushing Meadows was the most-watched tennis telecast in the network's 43-year history. Her loss last Friday to Ajla Tomljanovic drew 4.6 million viewers. The previous record of 3.9 million was for the 2012 Wimbledon final, when Roger Federer defeated Andy Murray, in ESPN's first year with exclusivity.

The ratings peaked for the Williams match at 6.9 million viewers in the 10:15 p.m. quarter-hour as the match wound down. Through the first five days of the US Open, an average of 1.1. million viewers tuned in to ESPN networks, up 101% versus 2021. These are the most-viewed first five days of the US Open on record on ESPN networks.

Williams' second-round victory over Anett Kontaveit averaged 3.6 million viewers."

7. Silentjury

Regular

Tiafoe advances to the semifinals! I feel gutted for Rublev though. He was breaking down during changeovers. This probably felt like his best chance at winning it all given how well he was playing and how wide open the field was.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  8. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Yeah absolutely agreed. Tiafoe has been playing an incredibly effective aggressive game. His service his huge and he’s been clutch at the net. But it’s really his ground stoke game being just consistent enough, and him being mentally resilient, which is allowing him to be as clutch as he has. Really fascinating stuff for the semis!!

9. Silentjury

Regular

I'm pissed that I probably missed the match of the year last night/this morning between Jannik and Carlos. The future of tennis is in good hands with those two.

Zoshchenko likes this.
  10. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

So bummed I fell asleep

11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I watched a good portion of that match and it was fun!

12. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

I had Sinner/Alcatraz on in the background while working so I could hear that it ruled but I’m excited for the extended highlights

sawhney[rusted]2 and Zoshchenko like this.
  13. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Super excited for the Tiafoe/Alcaraz match tonight!

Garrett and Zoshchenko like this.
  14. PepsiOne

Oh man that Alcaraz point to send it to a tiebreak

15. Garrett

mom and I both gasped multiple times

also that 102mph Tiafoe forehand in the game before

sawhney[rusted]2 and PepsiOne like this.
  16. Silentjury

Regular

Yeah, that was ridiculous.

17. Garrett

how was that point real?!?!

18. Garrett

that match point save!!!

19. Garrett

The first and fourth sets have been phenomenal.

PepsiOne likes this.
  20. PepsiOne

This kid is unreal

21. Silentjury

Regular

Even if Frances goes down, he should be proud of the effort he has put forth.

I have never seen a 19-year-old so composed. Carlos is a different breed.

Garrett likes this.
  22. Garrett

Oh to be 19 and have the energy to play back to back five setters and then play at this level.

23. Garrett

Frances has done the same serve pattern this entire set. And he keeps missing the same ones.

24. PepsiOne

Let’s goooooo

25. Garrett

I think I took that Benadryl a smidge too early after that 6-1 set.