Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tennis Discussion Thread • Page 18

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Mar 19, 2016.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Isn’t that the point though - in the men’s game there are people who are just as big “assholes” as you put it but they get away with similar things to what occurred in this match.

No one is saying Serena behaved well - she didn’t. But there is a level of subjectivity in the way the rules are applied which we have seen in this tournament.

I’ve not seen anyone say anything positive about Serena’s behaviour in this thread and the Tweets don’t condone her behaviour either, they just build on the argument that there are sometimes double standards at play in the tennis world.

And I’m not American.

imthesheriff likes this.
  2. broken22

(:

Well I know the announcers mentioned it, after the first warning the guys haven't really took it to that level. It also doesn't help she has a history, 2009 certainly isn't doing her favors still either.

3. JM95

Trusted

They don't, for the very simple reason that they don't act in similar way. And neither do the women. It's not normal in any way for players, male or female, to get three code violations in a match. Not because umpires don't call them but because, as @broken22 said, players don't usually take it that far. That Serena did merely reflects on her and her alone. That she then tried to turn it into a women's equality issue is embarrassing.

broken22 likes this.
  4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I understand what you’re saying but the fact that even Djokovic and Del Potro were commenting on it in favour of Serena (or at least against the umpire interfering too much) suggests to me that there is more at play than Serena is an awful person. Yes, she overreacted and acted in a detrimental way that I’m sure she’ll regret, but when past and present players, particularly from the woman’s game, are saying one thing I’m going to listen.

It doesn’t excuse the behaviour but it’s important to listen. Particularly for me as a guy!

The reality is that many men have said worse to umpires and not been penalised. There are numerous examples starting with James Blake above. Now, Serena was rightly punished but why weren’t those male players? We can say ‘men don’t act in a similar way’ and get three violations but if they don’t get a violation for bad language / abuse then they’re not going to hit three violations. Djokovic smashed his racket in the final and didn’t get a second violation - a prime example.

If Serena felt hard done by (rightly or wrongly), you can easily see how it escalated. You can’t excuse the reaction but I think it’s impprtant to consider the meta-narrative at play.

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Oh shit.

7. broken22

(:

One of the best competitors the sport has ever seen.

8. Garrett

He’s gonna try to make it Wimbledon.

9. JM95

Trusted

Not surprised but that is really disappointing. It was only two years ago that he was at his peak.

Gutted for him that it's ending like this. A fantastic player and a brilliant athlete. There certainly won't be another British player as good as him for a long time.

10. broken22

(:

His style was tough on the body, but damn it was he one of the quickest players I've ever seen. I'm greatful to have seen him in person.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I had tears in my eyes when I read the news this morning. He has done so much for British tennis and I massively respect him. One of my favourite athletes and definitely one that has inspired me most. It's funny because I have this constant discussion with my brother who prefers Federer and Nadal and doesn't like Murray at all. For me that whole stream of thought is a waste of time - they're obviously better. That's not the point. For me it's more about the point. It's the history. It's the years of heartbreak with Henman. It's the years of dreaming and wondering if any British man could win a grand slam or indeed Wimbledon. Murray has worked hard and he reached their level. I know he's only won three major titles but what an achievement that is when Federer is still sublime and Djokovic is added into the mix. It has been an incredible 10-15 years of tennis giants and that a British man fought to be competitive at the centre of it and basically put his body on the line to achieve what he has achieved is unbelievable.

I watched Wimbledon every year throughout my life and to see him reach and final, lose but then come back and eventually win it... that was probably one of my greatest sporting moments. Still get chills thinking about it.

We knew this was coming but it feels so cruel that it has to be this way. I hope he gets to play at Wimbledon a final time but it doesn't look good at this point. It must be agony for him and not just the hip pain. So sad he won't get to finish his career playing as he used to play.

Garrett L. likes this.
  12. Iain

Regular

Sorry, don't mean to pick this point up as its obviously a sad occasion, but is this not a slight misconception? My impression has always been since before the op that he knew he potentially wouldn't be the same player after the op, but wanted to play on regardless of his ranking. That's what makes it sadder, he is in so much pain he can't even continue to play.

I am gutted for Andy so much. An inspiration for me as an amateur tennis player. I have been lucky enough to meet him and see him play multiple times. I was recently at a conference Leon Smith (GB davis cup captain) was presenting at, and he praised Andy for being a great team player and a guy that would fully trust the team.

13. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

It’s both really isn’t it - he went in knowing that he potentially wouldn’t reach former heights. He was ok with that. But there was still a chance he might. As you say, the real pain is that he basically can’t even play anymore.

Great that you’ve met him and love that he’s inspired your tennis.

14. JM95

Trusted

This is an astonishing performance from Murray. Unbelievable.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

If it is his last game he is going out with a bang. I don't even know how he's managed to get to five sets.

16. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Amazing to see the rise of these younger players. Tsitsipas is the real deal.

PeacefulOrca and Mary V like this.
  17. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Osaka about to win this with ease

18. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Woof, Serena did not look great out there. Such a bummer.

19. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

What a great final

20. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I love tennis

21. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Paloma faith is like "this is the closest we can get to American pop without an actual American singer" lol

22. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Is Bernard’s best days behind him already? He got dismantled 1, 4, and 1 to some guy named Fritz.

Dude doesn’t sound like he gives a shit anymore.

23. Garrett

Taylor Fritz isn’t necessarily bad tho

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  24. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Didn't he make a nice run recently? Or am I thinking of someone else?

25. Garrett

I think that was Tiafoe?

PeacefulOrca likes this.