Tennis Discussion Thread • Page 18

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett L., Mar 19, 2016.

1. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Isn’t that the point though - in the men’s game there are people who are just as big “assholes” as you put it but they get away with similar things to what occurred in this match.

No one is saying Serena behaved well - she didn’t. But there is a level of subjectivity in the way the rules are applied which we have seen in this tournament.

I’ve not seen anyone say anything positive about Serena’s behaviour in this thread and the Tweets don’t condone her behaviour either, they just build on the argument that there are sometimes double standards at play in the tennis world.

And I’m not American.

imthesheriff likes this.
  2. broken22

(:

Well I know the announcers mentioned it, after the first warning the guys haven't really took it to that level. It also doesn't help she has a history, 2009 certainly isn't doing her favors still either.

3. JM95

Trusted

They don't, for the very simple reason that they don't act in similar way. And neither do the women. It's not normal in any way for players, male or female, to get three code violations in a match. Not because umpires don't call them but because, as @broken22 said, players don't usually take it that far. That Serena did merely reflects on her and her alone. That she then tried to turn it into a women's equality issue is embarrassing.

broken22 likes this.
  4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I understand what you’re saying but the fact that even Djokovic and Del Potro were commenting on it in favour of Serena (or at least against the umpire interfering too much) suggests to me that there is more at play than Serena is an awful person. Yes, she overreacted and acted in a detrimental way that I’m sure she’ll regret, but when past and present players, particularly from the woman’s game, are saying one thing I’m going to listen.

It doesn’t excuse the behaviour but it’s important to listen. Particularly for me as a guy!

The reality is that many men have said worse to umpires and not been penalised. There are numerous examples starting with James Blake above. Now, Serena was rightly punished but why weren’t those male players? We can say ‘men don’t act in a similar way’ and get three violations but if they don’t get a violation for bad language / abuse then they’re not going to hit three violations. Djokovic smashed his racket in the final and didn’t get a second violation - a prime example.

If Serena felt hard done by (rightly or wrongly), you can easily see how it escalated. You can’t excuse the reaction but I think it’s impprtant to consider the meta-narrative at play.

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.