Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Telethon - Hard Pop (June 21, 2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Snoblin, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Tracklist:

1) Loser/That Old Private Hell
    2) (I Guess You'd Call It) An Undertone
    3) Wanderparty
    4) How Long Do I Let It Go For?
    5) Sirens
    6) Chimney Rock (feat. Willow Hawks)
    7) House Of The Future (Parts 1 & 2)
    8) Time To Lean (This Whole Building Runs On Windows 98)
    9) Youdon'tinspiremelikeyouusedto
    10) Manila

2. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Telethon. You might know them as the band that wrote a rock opera about being extremely and apocalyptically online, or the guys who released a lyric video via a Gmail screenshare. Maybe you’ve never heard of them until now, because you’re reading this blurb for their Take This to Heart Records debut, Hard Pop. In any case, this album—which drops June 21—is hard pop both in name and nuance, and it’s a perfect combination of whatever this one group’s wild Midwest ambition can offer.

But wait! I know what you’re thinking. This is the band that recites Kafka and opens their releases with skits? Where are they?! I was promised something wacky judging by their Twitter presence. The wackiest thing of all? Hard Pop is just ten tracks, all of them boasting surefire singalongs. Sure, there are plenty of surprises, like the two-part cinematics of “House of the Future” or the ska breakdown on “Manila,” but the most astounding thing of all is how united Hard Pop is. After all, it’s the first document of a genre Telethon is coining themselves, promising songs with chewy centers but a crunchy outer layer filled with the fuzz of doubt, disappointment, muses lost to darker times. Just listen to the jangly swagger on “Youdon’tinspiremelikeyouusedto” or the tale of pain and dejection on “Sirens.” These are contemplative songs masquerading as rock radio hits, delivered with a smirk rather than sunk gazes.

So who is Telethon now? The band confident enough to embrace darkness with a goofy brightness that betrays its emotional center? That’s for you to find out.

"Hard Pop" is out June 21st on 12"/CD/Digital via Take This To Heart Records

3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Album rules

Snoblin likes this.
  4. solxace

oh word?

album slaps

Snoblin likes this.
  5. Leftandleaving

Lot of the vocal melodies remind me of Jeff Rosenstock. There’s so many different sounds going on on this thing, and it rules

6. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Glad there's a thread for this! Got into them with their last release, and this is even better. Going to be playing this all freaking summer long!

7. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

This is exactly what I needed

8. Leftandleaving

main riff in loser / that old private hell is so living well is the best revenge

9. Leftandleaving

10. Leftandleaving

11. Love these boys.

12. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Missed that there was a thread for this, one of my favorites of the year for sure.

13. Leftandleaving

Truly this band is the new TWIABP in terms of shitposting power levels

Jacob Tender and VanMastaIteHab like this.
  14. Leftandleaving

Side project ep out now

15. Leftandleaving

16. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

New song out today:

17. Leftandleaving