Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tegan & Sara Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Tegan & Sara is a Canadian pop duo formed in 1995 consisting of twins and multi-instrumentalists Tegan Quin and Sara Quin. The duo has released seven albums to date with LP8 being announced soon.

2. Meerkat

We're getting LP8 this year. I can't think of too many other bands with the same consistently amazing output they've had. Also going to the 5/3 intimate show. Very excited for that as well.

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

So Jealous through Heartthrob is one of the best runs any band has ever had, imo.

4. Meerkat

I would absolutely agree with that. I also think Heartthrob is one of the leading examples of fun sounding depressing albums.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. cshadows2887

Like a whole album of "When You Were Mine" by Prince

6. George

Trusted Prestigious

I wish I loved Heartthrob as much as others love it. I really really wish I did.

7. Meerkat

I get so sad whenever I remember you don't love it

8. cshadows2887

I feel like the universe made you have this opinion just to remind me that nobody ever has perfectly overlapping tastes. Just staying humble

9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I am hyped for their new album. HYPED.

10. George Mar 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 8, 2016)
    George

Trusted Prestigious

To not be negative in this thread, I've been listening to Under Feet Like Ours quite a bit recently. It was an independent release they put out in 1999, when they were known as Sara & Tegan, and it's really good. They do some really interesting things structurally and sonically with the songs that they haven't really repeated since. It's occasionally a bit clumsy, as you'd expect a debut album from two teenagers, but there's a lot to love about it. I would recommend it to any fan. I think it's better than This Business of Art, for what it's worth.

Not sure if it's available on Spotify and that, but please feel free to give me a shout if you need a nudge in the right direction.

I am also obviously mega hyped about album 8. I don't want to come off as being too hard on Heartthrob, I think it's mostly good, but (for me!) not close to the previous three, which are perfect 10s.

11. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

UFLO has "Divided" which is one of my favorite T&S songs of all time!! Whenever I'm sad, all I can think of is the "I wanna shave my head, lie in bed all day long" lyric.

12. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Le Poisson Rouge show sold out before on sale time and I will never forgive myself for missing it. Can't wait for LP8

13. George

Trusted Prestigious

I've seen them twice in London either side of the Heartthrob release. Their fans are a bit... intense. Before they came on stage, their were people in hysterics, crying and shrieking, screaming that they loved them so much, it was dead surreal. Felt a bit like watching The Beatles or something. I'd never seen such a strong reaction to a band before,

14. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

The Con and Sainthood are two of my favorite albums ever. Heartthrob and So Jealous are good too. Excited for new music from them for sure, expecting them to stick pretty closely to the direction they went with on Heartthrob, which I think had a lot of potential to be expanded/improved upon.

15. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Love You To Death, out June 3, 2016.

16. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

FUCKKKKKKK

cshadows2887 likes this.
  17. STOKED

18. Meerkat

19. Meerkat

Been listening to this a lot

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

If I've never listened to them before, where do I start?

21. Meerkat

Oof. This is a big question. Their most recent four album run (So Jealous, The Con, Sainthood, Heartthrob) is pretty much a consistent set of four perfect albums. And all of them are pretty different, but they had a very natural progression. I'm not sure where the best place to start would really be though.

22. cshadows2887

The Con!

iplaydrums likes this.
  23. Meerkat

Yeah The Con probably would be a good place to start. That's when they started to experiment a little bit more music wise.

24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Cool, I'll go with The Con.

25. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The Con took me a while to fully appreciate outside of the songs that got me into them (Call It Off, The Con, Dark Come Soon) so if that one doesn't do it straight away I say try Heartthrob.