Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tegan and Sara - Sainthood Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GooberSandwich, Apr 5, 2016.

1. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

Let's celebrate a wonderful album and recommend anything similar!

Threads likes this.
  2. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

stuckinvhs likes this.
  3. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

4. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

Agreed. I can just keep coming back to this album and discover something new. The feeling of euphoria associated never dissipates

5. Threads

Regular Prestigious

My favorite Tegan and Sara album.

On Directing, Red Belt, and The Cure are my favorites.

6. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

"Over you!"

7. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

This is still my favorite Tegan and Sara album. I actually started listening to them after reading the Sainthood review on AP.net and seeing all the love it got in the comments.

GooberSandwich likes this.
  8. George Apr 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2016)
    George

Trusted Prestigious

Story time.

In 2009, just before this album was released I was in Vancouver, I was eighteen and had just split up with my first "real" girlfriend. I'd just booked a 36 (!!!) hour bus ride from Vancouver to San Francisco, and before I went I downloaded 11* Tegan and Sara songs at random from a file sharing website. I knew a wee bit about them beforehand, but had never really listened to them.

Over the course of that 36 hour ride through American nothingness and service stations, I listened to those 11 songs constantly. As soon as I'd heard them, I put them straight back on repeat again and again and again. They hit me like a ton of bricks in a way that I've never experienced before or since. Usually with bands and music, it takes a while for me to love an artist, I like them initially and gradually that builds up to loving their music over time. This was instantaneous for me.

As soon as I got to San Francisco, I bought So Jealous, The Con and the just released Sainthood, at the first record store I found. I had no way of actually listening to the CDs for a couple of weeks, so I just devoured and pored over the lyrics and imagined what the songs that went along with them would sound like. After a few weeks, I caught the bus back and listened to those same 11 songs again.

Having three of their albums to listen to at once, and already adoring their music, was a bit overwhelming at first, but they were basically all I listened to for the next month or so.

*The 11 songs if anyone is interested; Frozen, Not Tonight, Back in Your Head, Burn Your Life Down, The Con, Dark Come Soon, Call It Off, I Bet it Stung, I Know I Know I Know, Walking With A Ghost and We Didn't Do It.

9. GooberSandwich

Regular Supporter

This is exactly how I got into them as well! I had never heard of them before reading all the love it got on AP.net. I pored over their discography after obsessing over that album.
    That's amazing. Those are a great set of songs to have randomly thrown at you as an introduction on a cross country road trip. I can only imagine the perfect storm of emotions that latched onto those songs and never let go.