Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teenage Wrist - Earth Is a Black Hole (February 12, 2021) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Elder Lightning, Oct 28, 2020.

1. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

The lyrics are fine. There's nothing that's eminently quotable about them or anything, but I don't think they're detrimental to the album.

2. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I can agree with that. they're not great, but there's some pretty cool lines here and there. there's a lot worse in this genre anyway hahah

3. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I did a full discography run yesterday as I was driving for 8 hours and had time to kill.

I definitely enjoy Earth a little bit more (vinyl arrived which is cool) with songs like Wear U Down being a favorite. Lyrically, it's whatever, with some cool lines but most of them feel borderline generic. Also, as someone who thinks about climate change on a weekly basis, I can appreciate the title track as well.

I still think Chrome Neon Jesus and Counting Flies are the band's best work though. I have a feeling I always will.

4. Leftandleaving

I actually think this is leagues above all their other stuff. much more personality imo. kinda have a feeling I'll like whatever heavenward does more than their earlier stuff too, based on the two singles out

Gianni28 and beachdude like this.
  5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

See, I'm the total opposite since I think they did shoegaze perfectly while still having their own atmosphere/vibe. I totally get if people like Earth more, especially if they're not into shoegaze much, but to me - some of the songs on Earth sound interchangeable with many other bands in the same genre.

I will say that I am happy to see the band gain new fans. Marshall and Ant are both really solid dudes so they deserve the support. I'll just wait patiently for the new Heavenward record to get my fix lol

swboyd likes this.
  6. Leftandleaving

that's really funny cause I feel like the first album, while good, was much more standard shoegaze and I think this blends well the dream pop elements with alt rock and pop punk in a much more interesting way lol

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I find it so fascinating when people have two completely different views on bands.. I love it though!

Nate_Johnson and Leftandleaving like this.
  8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I haven’t listened to their earlier stuff, just this. But I don’t really find anything about this interesting. It’s fine, and probably good for the style they’re going for. There’s just nothing that hooks me or grabs my attention. I keep waiting to hear that one thing in a song that makes me want to listen to it again and it’s just not there.

9. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

After a few more listens, I think I'm gonna be pretty firmly in the same camp with @mattylikesfilms. I loved their earlier stuff as they were a poppier than usual shoegaze band. It actually gave them a nice little niche and created a unique atmosphere compared to some of the other shoegaze bands I listen to. I'm just not into this one as much even if it is incredibly well done.

There's nothing wrong with progression, and I honestly would be shocked if losing a critical member like Kam didn't cause a change in their sound. It's all subjective opinions at the end of the day.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Perhaps you'll dig Supermachine:

11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Bingo. These are my exact feelings.

12. Leftandleaving

imo this feels like they made a full lp of black flamingo

peripheralvision likes this.
  13. Zorlak

Crusher Destroyer Prestigious

Wasting Time needs to be a single, that song has potential to be a radio hit.

Micah511, Gianni28 and Leftandleaving like this.
  14. flask

Trusted Supporter

I feel like a lot of this songs do. I was blasting Silverspoon earlier driving home. Could easily hear it on KROQ.

Gianni28 and cherrywaves like this.
  15. Gianni

Trusted

quoting my own post from the other week since several people have mentioned it .... does anyone know if it’s getting radio play?

If not can we start a petition? Lol

16. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Wasting Time is great, but I don't know if it's guaranteed to do any better than any of the other singles. Almost every song on here could be a hit.

Leftandleaving and Gianni28 like this.
  17. latortuga

Regular

This a good fun album, I actually like it more as a whole than CNJ. I miss the shoegaze styling but this is a nice progression/change for me!

18. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Revisited the first record and enjoyed it a lot more than I did when it first came out.

19. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Three listens in and this is great. Really wasn’t expecting much with K’s departure, but they really killed it. So many big hitters. Might’ve solidified the need for the vinyl.

Gianni28 likes this.
  20. latortuga

Regular

Whoa, I hadn't made it all the way through this yet when I commented. The title track has just a huge chorus, I absolutely love it!

21. Leftandleaving

feel like people who like this will dig this wayside album. almost sounds like a bridge from cnj to this album imo, so @mattylikesfilms, this might be worth a shot

22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Ooooooo I like this!

Thanks for sharing. Added to my library and putting it on now :-)

Leftandleaving likes this.
  23. Leftandleaving

B-)

24. 333 GANG

ACAB

Listening through this for the first time now, and I’m really loving this. 6 or 7 songs in and have been floored by nearly everything I’ve heard.

25. flask

Trusted Supporter

Pretty much all I’ve listened to these past couple of weeks

latortuga likes this.