Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teenage Wrist - Earth Is a Black Hole (February 12, 2021) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Elder Lightning, Oct 28, 2020.

1. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Ok after listening again I think I love this record

Gianni28 likes this.
  2. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

You know it's a good sign for an album when the singles come on and I'm still excited to listen to them. Silverspoon is such a jam.

LightWithoutHeat and Gianni28 like this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This is fucking fantastic. Love the ‘90s throwback elements. I haven’t listened to them before this truthfully, gonna have to check the first album out!

Micah511 likes this.
  4. Micah511

It's very different from this. Way more shoegaze vibes in that one, not quite as straightforward. Different singer.

beachdude likes this.
  5. Micah511

Whoaaaaa Wasting Time, that's the one

EDIT: Title track still slaps. Nothing groundbreaking here and it's pretty straightforward so I'm not sure how I'll feel about in a few months, but it's a pretty great, fun listen for the beginning of the year when there isn't a ton of new music.

6. Donnie Ruth Feb 12, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 12, 2021)
    Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

This is my first time hearing this band and this album is very up my alley. Loving this sound. I can def hear a Jimmy Eat World sound here which is always a good thing.

EDIT: read above comments about problematic member. Damn.

Kyle Max likes this.
  7. cherrywaves

Trusted

Marshall sang on that album too. They have similar voices so it’s kinda hard to tell

beachdude and Micah511 like this.
  8. Micah511

Yeah and tbh, I was a very casual fan of that one, so I didn't give it too many listens all the way through. This one is definitely clicking with me more.

beachdude and cherrywaves like this.
  9. Michael Belt

metadata incarnate Supporter

i remember reading an interview recently where Marshall said Kam did about 60% of the vocals on CNJ whereas he did around 40%, so it wasn't a huge shift in responsibility.

and for whoever asked about Heavenward, Kam said there is more coming.

10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yup. I read in some interview with Marshall that he’s working with Kamtin on a full record.

Tomar Re likes this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I’m a huge fan of Chrome Neon Jesus and Counting Flies so while I like this record for the most part... I have to pretend it’s just a new band to do so?

I enjoy most of the tracks on this record (as a new project essentially) but Squeeze is filler and the opening glitch audio is corny, New Emotion feels half baked, and High Again has some cool moments but meh..

Despite having a kind of weak ending, Wasting Time is a great track. It sounds like a mix of their past/present. Wear U Down, Stella, and all the singles are also great too.

I’ve mentioned it multiple times by now but damn.. I REALLY miss the shoe gaze sound. In my opinion, it was done so perfectly in CNJ/CF. Sadly, it’s for the most part gone on this record and it leaves a bit of a void for me.. oh well. I also would be lying if I said I didn’t miss Kam’s vocals on this project. Marshall does a good job here but again - there’s a void because of my attachment to the older material. I know what Marshall sang on previous material as well.

Maybe in time I’ll eventually love this record like I love the past material, especially after a Heavenward record is out to fill the void left, and I’m glad to have ordered the vinyl since Marshall/Ant deserve it.

12. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

Huge Pentimento / Turnover / Jimmy Eat World vibes on this record. I've never listened to this band but I dig what I'm hearing.

beachdude and Micah511 like this.
  13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I have no idea what I think about this. like I like the songs as I listen to them but nothing sticks with me I don't think about anything I've just heard. It just happened and then it's over.

14. atlas

Trusted

First half was much stronger for me but I dug this overall. Love the length, nice easy breezy listen on my way to work

beachdude likes this.
  15. Gianni

Trusted

Yeah! It's so rare to have a record I can make it all the way through on my commute, but now I've gotten 3 in 3 consecutive weeks, with OK Human, Medicine at Midnight, and now this.

I love the sound - I could hear several of these tracks getting play on rock/alternative radio. Does anyone know if they are getting any airplay?

beachdude likes this.
  16. Agreed on the compact length being a better fit for them, I rarely made it all the way through CNJ

This one’s okay. It’ll probably stay near the top of the arsenal for those days when I’m really in the mood for this straightforward rock type of sound, at least while it’s still fresh. Silverspoon is still the obvious highlight imo but I really like Stella and High Again too. The former is a hell of a closer

Gianni28 and Micah511 like this.
  17. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

To be the dissenting voice here, I really think this is a step back from CNJ and Counting Flies. I dug them a lot as a poppier than usual shoegaze band. It's not a bad album, but I'm just disappointed because it's not what I was expecting. Can't be too surprised though when they've had as many lineup changes as they've had tho. I'll give it a few listens though to see if it's a grower.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  18. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Wow, I loved this one my first listen. My only gripe is that the title track is a little too much like a JEW song.

beachdude likes this.
  19. Gianni

Trusted

Total "Get It Faster" vibes and I love it hahaha

beachdude and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  20. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

That's the one lol.

Gianni28 likes this.
  21. Tomar Re

Regular

After a couple listens, I like this but not blown away by it. I’m just not into the style of choruses they do on songs like the title track and some others. Definitely wish there was more on here like silverspoon but I still think there’s a lot of things on here that will keep me coming back.

22. FloatThroughMe

Regular Supporter

This is right up my alley. Loving it.

beachdude and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  23. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I'm liking this. I remember I thought their debut sounded too much like Superheaven so I'm glad they changed things up.

beachdude and Leftandleaving like this.
  24. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

DE8BD4A3-3894-4408-ACA4-44812BB3EBA6.jpeg

hello there :)

25. cherrywaves

Trusted

First impressions are that it’s good if not a little short. Don’t love “High Again” but every other song is a hit.