Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teen Suicide - It's the Big Joyus Celebration, Let's Stir the Honeypot (April 1, 2016) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TheBaroness, Apr 2, 2016.

1. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Missing the discussion thread from the previous site. After a few days of listening, how's everyone going with this release now?

2. I found myself enjoying parts of this and really disliking others. Don't foresee myself coming back to this much.

3. Collins

Trusted

I didn't listen through the last few tracks but I liked around 13 out of the 20 or so I heard, which I'd consider a pretty good ratio.

Favorites were falling out of love with me, America, The Big Joyous Celebration, living proof, pop song

4. TheBaroness

Personally, the album is a huge surprise. I was pretty lukewarm on their other releases but this one really hits the spot. There are a few songs that fall short, but that sequence of 'Pavement' through to 'If I Don't See You Before You Leave' is ridiculously good (not to mention the other strong tracks on the first half of the album). It's interesting reading what they've been saying on Twitter about this record, how it was kind of a reaction to their earlier, more nihilistic stuff, and a deliberate attempt to get better as musicians and human beings.

5. Collins

Trusted

The opener on this is a total jam.

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It's like, not as twinkly or emo as other twinkly or emo bands but I definitely see why they like to be labeled twinkly or emo

7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

they like being called that? from my experience with them it's the opposite, haha

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

[​IMG]

9. cwhit

hey that first comment came out of nowhere with no context behind it you could have been serious!

10. This album is my surprise of the year so far. Been really put off by the band name in the past but between Sam's tweets about changing it and why, and how much I like the music, feels good to be on board with this one.

Definitely a bit bloated, but there's well over a "standard" album's worth of great tracks on here.

11. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

gonna have to see if this could possibly top i will be my own hell for me

12. cwhit

i may actually listen to this, based on what i've heard about it

13. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

still kinda on the fence. get through 10 or so tracks then put on sioux falls

14. bedwettingcosmo

15. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Yeah, I uh...

If the rest of the album were like the first track I would play it to death. But it's not. It just kind of meanders without any real focus or consistency. I get the weird and off-kilter aspect of the sound and mood but...I don't really see myself coming back to it much, especially for an album that's 26 songs.

16. bedwettingcosmo

honestly it's kind of refreshing to see the excessively long diy album kind of making a comeback.

17. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

This and the new 1975 are the most underwhelming things I've listened to this year. Don't really plan on revisiting it.

18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I like this album but it is clunky. Track 2 is one of the best songs ive heard all year

19. cwhit

20. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I read like 3/4 of that and it's good.

I listened to this twice back to back my first time through and not again since. I did like it though.

21. Great piece from Spin.

22. TheBaroness

Agreed. Both this and the Sioux Falls record are two albums I can put on and just get lost in (would probably throw DIIV in that category too but they're obv from a different scene). A lot of music being released these days is so focused and concise - which is great, don't get me wrong, but it's also awesome to have these more sprawling, jam-y records as a counterpoint to that.

Also, both the TS and SF records don't seem nearly as long to me when I'm listening to them as their running time suggests. The songwriting on both remains really strong and consistent throughout imo.

23. cwhit

i liked this, but there weren't any real moments that made me think about them after in my first two listens

24. algae

Regular Prestigious

The "rarities" album was one of my favorite things to listen to by them and this is not much longer. Starting to really get into these songs, feels as huge as a lo-fi record could be.

25. KBradley

the earth is not a cold dead place.

This album is really good and deserves more hype (along with Sioux Falls).