Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 9

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone got any suggestions for a USB charging station/hub? Looking for something that has 4+ ports and possible in the same style as the Mac lineup is or something similar that is a clean modern look.

2. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

RipCurrent - ARRIS SURFboard

Anyone got any experience using g.hn to get Internet to anywhere in your house. I came across this when trying to get my wifi extended. Sounds like it could be good. Just curious how stable of a technology it is.

3. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

4. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Okay tech nerds...got some n00b questions.

I will not be spending the money on getting a mac when I update my PC. My question with the different PCs pertains to the processors...is Intel better than some of the other processors you'll find out there? AMD or otherwise?

@Jason Tate or other techies...though I know Jason will just tell me to go with a mac lol

5. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Intel i5 or i7 is good. Current generation is 7th.

6. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

For those of you who like to write but have issues with motivation, there's a really cool application that basically forces you to continuously write without stopping. How does it do that? Well if you stop for ~5 seconds, everything you've written so far starts to disappear! It allows you to set a time limit for how long you want to write, and once you set that you're off. I could really use this myself but I don't have a Mac. Anyway, check it out.

FLOWSTATE - The Most Dangerous App

7. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

8. scott Dec 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 5, 2016)
    lightning13 likes this.
  9. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

scott likes this.
  10. armistice

11. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

12. armistice

What's your background? That is a pretty large-scale question. Tinder is a multi-platform app and a pretty decent implementation of full-stack development. It's hard for me to look at a frame of their main site and say you just need to dive into node.js, or focus in on learning AWS, especially given the current environment. Developing an attractive website that doesn't have a shit mobile version is a pretty insanely marketable skill right now. It's also a job for a team of developers that are pooling knowledge about marketing, advertising, app dev, app sec, isec, etc., so I think your first problem is probably one of scale. Google I/O this year was pretty sick. Honestly I'm just throwing my few cents in because this is a less heavily-traversed thread. @Jason Tate knows his shit when it comes to dev. He'd have a better answer.

13. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I've never built a website before. I'm familiar with programming (Java and swift), but mostly self taught (I study physics, not CS). We have a team of developers and I can work with them and our marketing team, but this is mostly a low priority task for the devs. It doesn't need to be fancy, just needs to look nice. All it's gonna do really is provide a bit of info on the app, have the usual about/contact/legal stuff, and a link to the app store to download -- that kinda thing. I just need it to look good with the logo, which I'm waiting to get from the designer. From what I've heard, this kinda thing shouldn't be too hard -- it's basically a fancier powerpoint showing off the app.

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

So Facebook and fake news

15. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Ok so I just registered a domain name on bluehost, and then installed WordPress onto the site, so it's all setup for editing. I'm gonna do some googling on using WordPress effectively but any resources you guys know of would be cool.

16. armistice

I've never used it, but it looks like that have a pretty decent help section.

Jacob likes this.
  17. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

At least Evernote is listening about that new privacy policy.

18. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone have any experience with LG minibeam projectors or projectors in general?

21. armistice

Lol, someone's got an IT person on retainer.

22. armistice

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I have an HP Pavilion that I bought in 2011/2012. When I use headphones, it only plays through one ear. I've tried two pairs of headphones that work on other devices. Anyone know how to fix this? I've already messed with the master volume/balance to no avail.

24. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

mum: do you want an apple?
    me: no
    dad: windows?
    me: (fake laugh) hahaha. haha. ha.

armistice likes this.