Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. noxee

Regular Prestigious

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Word is that Gawker filed for bankruptcy.

3. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

I read an article stating the same. Supposedly Nick Denton is looking for someone to sell the company.

Hopefully Kotaku and io9 will be okay.

4. Anyone have a VPN they like? I've heard good things about Private Internet Access from a price/feature/privacy standpoint.

5. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

Just saw this. I've been using PIA for a couple of years now and really like them. If I remember correctly, though, they are based in the US so are more prone to any legislation that would force them to turn over IP info, etc. Otherwise recommended.

6. Thank you! I think I'm gonna go with them.

hermanthehermit likes this.
  7. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

8. hermanthehermit

So Evernote announced that they're limiting their free option to 2 devices/account, which limits its usefulness for me. I'm not opposed to paying for Evernote, but if I'm going to pay for something I want to make sure I'm getting the best option. Does anybody have any recs for a cross-platform (mac/android) program similar to Evernote?

9. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Onenote

10. hermanthehermit

Good call. I use Onenote for work, but never even thought about it for my personal stuff. Def worth looking into.

11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

And it should be free on all mobile devices with under a 10" screen.

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Ridiculous.

13. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I bought a starter kit of 3 Phillips Hue wifi lights the other day and am way more excited about these than I thought I would be. I have all 3 in my living room and can adjust the lighting on each individual bulb or all at once on the brightness, color, hue, whatever on the fly from my phone. I can drag my finger along the color pallet and the lights will shift dynamically which is really cool. It has pre sets for things like "relax", "concentrate", "energize", "savanna sunset", "nightlight"..... I can add up to 50 bulbs to the wifi bridge it came with. I can set up separate bulbs to different rooms of the house to have difference effects. I plan on adding more bulbs for the dining room and bedroom. I can add LED strips as well. They aren't cheap(compared to regular bulbs) so I'll be adding them slowly. It's one of the coolest things I've bought in a long time. It was $199 for the starter set of 3 and bridge and $59 per bulb if you add more to it if you want the same type bulbs.

Here's a collage of my Snapchat when I was gushing about them. (username patrickbussey)

[​IMG]

14. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Does anyone know how to log into an old Youtube account? I haven't logged in since like 2009 and since then you have to use a gmail address to get in. As far as I know, I never made a gmail address for the account. I can't even remember what email address I did use to log into the account back in the day. Any ideas?

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

16. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

17. Prisma is sick.

18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

19. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I bitched about Google Maps in the wrong thread.

20. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

21. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Not sure how many of you on here blog, and I mean blog with a very text-driven focus (like Medium). But the blogging platform Postleaf is relatively new and seems like a solid solution to blogging. What I love about it is that it almost looks like a straight up rip off of the Ghost UI (which I personally blog with), but doesn't require running nodejs, as Postleaf depends on the usual PHP/MySQL (and MariaDB as an option). Of course another plus is that it's completely free and open-source.

22. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Can't find a dedicated smartphone/Samsung/Android/etc thread, so this seems best. Anyone else stoked for Note 7? I know it's basically bigger S7 with a pen, but coming from an iPhone 5 I'm really excited. Just preordered with the new Gear VR, which I'm doubly excited for.

23. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

My phone once again has 2.5+ gb of "other." Maybe it's time to switch to a non-apple phone.