Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

2. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Holy shit

3. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

4. TotesAndGoats

Bear

I once deleted my entire application directory while trying to remove a piece of software.

Ever since then, I add use rm -rfv as a "just in case" since it will show everything it's deleting and you can CTRL+C the hell out of it.

5. Timmiluvs

Now that I go back and read that story Im inclined to think the guy is/was trolling (the server fault thread on it was deleted). Im pretty sure that unless he's using extremely old versions of everything, as in pre-2006, then this wouldn't happen. As far as I know, after 2006 rm/Centos have explicit checks that won't let you delete your root partition without specifying parameters that explicitly tell your system to do so.

Just running "rm -rf /" wouldn't do anything and would stop and throw an error

6. TotesAndGoats

Bear

It sounds like he was writing a program or script. If either ran as elevated and the variable he was attempting to pass in came in empty, it's feasible.

To err is human, to really screw up takes a root password.

7. lauren14

Regular

Maybe not the best place to post this, so apologies if not.

I need a cheap laptop - internet mostly but would like the ability to hook it up for projection.

I also have a dilemma. Husband has a 10 year old HP. Still has Windows XP or Vista on it (can't remember). Need to update OS system because the system is so out of date many things won't update. In theory I should just upgrade and hold my breath, but I'm wondering if there isn't a good moderately priced desktop that is good for normal use/occasional gaming that would be a better investment.

8. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

If you just want it for Internet browsing then I recommend a Chromebook but that's really all they are good for.

If you want a computer that can play some games but nothing to fancy then just go to Best Buy and they have some good entry level stuff.

That's all assuming you want something cheap.

9. TotesAndGoats

Bear

Windows 10 should probably run on it to some degree, but I doubt many games would be workable on top of it.

Otherwise, you may just want to go with what @Brenden said and pick up a desktop from Best Buy. Should be more than enough to get you by.

10. lauren14

Regular

Can a Chromebook hook up to an AV projector? Man it's been a long time since I shopped.

11. TotesAndGoats

Bear

Depends on the model. We have a couple at my office with HDMI out on them.

12. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

13. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Confirmed hoax.

14. Timmiluvs

Expected as much. I found it hard to believe after I read a bit closer.

15. noxee

Regular Prestigious

16. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

So Dropbox and their new feature...

That might actually get back on their service.

17. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

18. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

19. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

sweet

20. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Can't watch the video what exactly is it?

21. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

Take selective sync and extend it to individual files.

22. Anyone else ever try and use RSS for Reddit? I set up a couple and they don't seem to ever update at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blink182/.rss

Like that will "update" but it's ill formed and Feedly doesn't recognize it as having updated.

23. noxee

Regular Prestigious

I haven't tried to set up RSS for Reddit but on the topic of Feedly do you pay a subscription for it? I don't and I've been having performance issues over the past weeks so I'm wondering if either need to find an alternative or pay a subscription.

24. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Do you guys know a good app for Mac that is essentially a multi-item clipboard for copy/pasting stuff? I know programs such as that exist but I've never used one. Honestly I think that'd be a huge help writing stuff for the site I write for, where there's tons of content and media to move around.