Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 27

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Ok sweet, thanks! I wonder if I can just program my phone to only respond to "Ok Google" and only say "Hey Google" to the speaker

2. RyanPm40

Ok I got really carried away and bought 3 Google Nest Minis since they have a $20 discount to put in each room of my apartment and 5 GE smart bulbs and a smart outlet lol.

Most money I've spent on unnecessary things in a long time, but hey, I figured since I'm a pretty cheap person, it's good to treat myself for once heh. I love bright light in the bathroom but my girlfriend always wants dim light in the tub so I figured dimmable bulbs would be smart

EddieDS, theagentcoma and Brent like this.
  3. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Hey all, with virtual teaching this year, I'm thinking of getting a mic and a camera so that hopefully I get better audio/video quality for my kids rather than just using the internal mic and camera on my laptop that produces audios that sound a little...well, I'm sure you all know, like the typical audio on a zoom sounds like...and video that is okay, but I'd love like HD quality video if possible.

Are there affordable options that would produce significantly or noticeably better audio/video? google searches keep turning up the ole snowball mic, not sure how good that is. I really don't know much about tech specs to know what's good and all that. Haven't looked at cameras too much yet

Jacob Tender likes this.
  4. RyanPm40, David87 and paperlung like this.
  5. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

David87 likes this.
  6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I use a modmic for work calls. It’s great.

David87 likes this.
  7. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

8. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Anyone have a 65" TCL or bigger, or any thoughts on the brand?

Currently have a 75" Vizio M Series, but after 3 years it's already failing. Looking at replacing it.

All my other TV's are Vizio, but this big one has left a bad taste in my mouth with them..

9. RyanPm40 Aug 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 26, 2020)
    RyanPm40

I've always used Plantronics headsets at work and they work great and are crystal clear. I have a bluetooth ear piece and a wired set, no complaints, and everyone can hear me fine (unless I forget to move the mic in front of my mouth after eating while on mute lol)

I think the Bluetooth set is a Voyager 5200 UC, the wired is an EncorePro 540. I have a 1080P HP webcam in my office when docked, but working from home I just use the one built into my work laptop that I think is also 1080P?

10. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Huge TCL endorser here. I have a 65" and a 55". The 65" is the higher model number and I think it's fantastic.

billyboatman likes this.
  11. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I've been hearing really good things about them and they're not super expensive.
    My Vizio was like 2200 when I got it cause the HDR 4k was newer. Never again.
    What series, 6 or 8?

12. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

It must be a 6 because I know I didn't spend close to 2k on it.

billyboatman likes this.
  13. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

Anybody know what time the rtx 3080 will likely go on sale?

14. Carmen SD

Trusted

Anyone know how to view the source of a text that comes from an email address? Is there a way?

15. Outlook and Gmail make this pretty easy.

16. Carmen SD

Trusted

I’m not very tech savvy. How would I achieve this on gmail? You can pm me if you want.

17. You would click the word "Gmail" in my previous post and follow the step by step instructions (which include pictures).

18. Carmen SD

Trusted

Looks like it has to been sent to your email address in order to check? These random emails texted me. So I’m not sure how to check from my phone?

19. AMC

Regular

I use coinbase app. I'm all in on chainlink coin.

20. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

I have like $1 in bitcoin, I think? Still hoping that will pay off in 2-3 thousand years.

billyboatman likes this.
  21. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Get more.

22. RyanPm40

Choosing between the OnePlus 8 Pro and the iPhone 12 Pro is so damn hard and I can't make a decision. I love Android, but also curious to try Apple out. At the same time though.. no 120hz display is very frustrating with the iPhone, and I'd miss the ease of downloading 3rd party apps on Android, using emulators, etc.

23. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

if these are priorities for you, you should absolutely not get an iPhone.

24. RyanPm40

Thanks! Yeah I can't decide if it's a "nice to have" vs something I use often. I don't emulate often, and I don't use 3rd party apps much other than when I used to have some apps for finding TV show streams.

I just feel like it's a gamble with Android hardware-wise. I've read that OnePlus customer service is terrible, the S20 snapdragon models have reported GPS issues, the S20 FE has a widespread touch screen defect that detects phantom swipes and taps that they've tried 3 updates to resolve, my LG phones have either bootlooped, had broken GPS, or broken bluetooth, and my S8 only slow charges now. Just tired of constantly trading in new phones and crossing my fingers, and without the convenience of something like an Apple Store for repairs (there are no Samsung stores anywhere near me)

mescalineeyes likes this.