Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 25

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Haha already dropped more than I'm proud of on a new Northface but thanks! Figured I'd spoil myself and that it'd be worth the long-term investment to have a warm quality jacket since I live in the north east and freeze my ass off every year in my Old Navy ski jacket heh

2. wound up with a 2019 model of the same TV from target for $100 more. Stoked to set it up!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Hell yeah man, I have a nice Northface parka, but it was so insanely expensive. Like $400. I also have a Patagonia down jacket which was around $200. But I'll tell yeah, they both keep me snug as a bug.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. AMC

Regular

Haha ok

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

6. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

found this cleaning lol

E772AE61-ABE0-475E-ACA1-ADAE387E623A.jpeg

7. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Anyone have a TLC or Hisense TV? Curious on reviews/opinions.

8. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Someone explain how targeted ads actual work to me because I thought I did and then something happened and I don't understand how facebook got that information

My Mom's in town. I'm talking with her about ways to hang some shirts I have. I haven't searched for ways to hang shirts at all on the internet. She searches from *her* computer, finds a product. I still haven't searched for this at all from any of my computers.

Later that day, I get on my facebook and start seeing ads for that product she found. Like I had searched for it from my computer.

Are our machines secretly talking to each other on the network to pass ad information along??!? Is the disney plus account of mine she uses funneling information to facebook?!?! Are the mics on my phone picking up our conversations?!?! All of these answers freak me the fuck out...

9. RyanPm40

I don't totally know everything that goes into what feeds these major tech companies' algorithms, but I'm willing to bet that an ad like that was just based on IP address. When you're on a home network, every computer has its own "local" IP address to differentiate between themselves to your router. But, to the outside world and the public internet, all of that traffic from your various, local IP addresses in your home get routed through your modem that has its own unique IP address.

Wouldn't be surprised if phone mics pick that stuff up too, though, because I've definitely discussed things out loud to my girlfriend and then it's the first thing Google suggests when I tap my address bar. Likely due to me opting into Google Assistant's "always listening" mode.

clucky likes this.
  10. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Yeah the more I think about its probably an IP thing. But that still feels like a violation privacy? It's one thing to share your browsing history with Facebook and have them use it to target you with ads -- but if it's starts targeting other people on the network that opens up a whole fresh can of worms

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

12. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

The S20 series starts at $1000 and goes up to $1400. kind of ridiculous.

13. RyanPm40

That's not far off from other premium smartphone prices and the S20 is going to have 5G, a high starting storage, 120hz display for smooth scrolling, huge battery, and more cameras than an iPhone. Seems reasonably priced to me compared to competition

EDIT

Still ridiculous that phones in general are as expensive as they are though

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  14. RyanPm40

Okay I'm angry. Fully planned on preordering the S20 and Verizon isn't getting it until some time in late spring, but it will be getting the other two on launch. The S20 is already as big as my S8+, I refuse to go bigger and pay more money for a phone that has pretty much identical specs to the base model. >_>.

My fastcharging on my phone stopped working a couple days ago too so I got pretty excited with the timing haha

15. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

hi everyone im hummusguy and i need someone thats not clueless about tech like i am to help me out. so i got a text from someone about a job application i did on indeed and i fowrarded them my email so they could send me an email linking me to a work application/background check. i had no suspicions at first and went to fill shit out but it progessively kept feeling less legit. i am no where near 100% sure but my gut tells me its a scam. i dont know much about hacking but i went thru and filled out almost the whole thing, going thru several pages until i had doubts then deleted everything and did not submit it. my QUESTION is if it is a scam is it likely that the sensitive info i filled out but deleted afterwards still etched into some piece of SHIT scammer's hardrive? basically i just want to know whether im good or if in 5 years i might get charged w credit card fraud i never did ha.

i dont know whether im gullible af from being tipsy and sleep deprived or im just being paranoid fml.

16. RyanPm40

If it was on an online web form that has you hit a continue button between each page, it's possible a scammer could be saving that data every time you continue onto the next page. If it was just something like a Word document they emailed you, as long as you didn't send it to them, you should hopefully be fine, as long as it didn't download any malware to your computer along with it (not super common in a phishing scam).

There are a few ways to be wary of a phishing scam.. never download anything from a suspicious-looking email, make sure the link you're clicking looks legit (Google it, too), and when you hover your mouse over the link, make sure the link you're opening actually matches the link that is displayed as text in the email body. Look out for any blatant typos, too. I'm sure others have additional pointers, as well.

Also, if the link isn't an https:// url and just starts with http://, that would raise a red flag to me because web forms should be saved in a secure fashion, which is what https is made for to support SSL encryption

17. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

So the link in the email matched the link below when i hovered over. and it was a https:// url. unfortunately i did hit a continue button a few times. good news is none of my money shit is at risk but yea i did type my ss in there. after a little more investigating im almost 100% it was scam bullshit and filed a complaint to internet crime center. i honestly have never felt so stupid. im gonna see what else i can do to cover my ass. thanks man

18. RyanPm40

No problem, I wish you luck! And I also just want to make clear that those warnings I gave don't always necessarily mean it's a scam either, just red flags that you can set off in your head to make you take a closer look. A lot of what I said are some guidelines that my company tries to remind us of yearly and they even try to trick us sometimes by purposely sending us fake phishing emails to keep us on our toes lol

spreadthehummus2321 likes this.
  19. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

ha its all good i really should have known better in the first place. hopefully i dodged a bullet but yea ive taken some precautionary measures just in case.

20. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

update - pretty sure this guys got nothing that can hurt me cuz hes still asking me to submit this shit and im just fucking w him pretending i dont understand some of the questions. i plan to keep doing this until he gives up.

21. SeeTheLights

Trusted Prestigious

I asked this in the apple thread but would probably fit better under this thread

Now that I’ll be working from home for the foreseeable future, does anyone have recommendations for mouse pads or desk mats?

22. This is what I use: https://amzn.to/3bwkmKC

This is what I have in my bookmarks to check out if I ever get a different desk: Leather Desk Mat - Black

23. Random post but the organization that I work for, EFF is doing a live stream on twitch today in 30 minutes, talking about civil liberties online during our current crisis. If you're interested, here's the link: efflive

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

figured this might be the best spot for this;

my work is switching over to the Five9 virtual phone system this week, and it requires headset use. I cannot stress how much I hate using headsets, and though they have provided us all with one, I am going to be in the market for a wireless ear piece that is compatible.

Anyone have any recs?