Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 22

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong, when Win10 works, it works great. I love the UI and I always did my main app development on a Win 10 VM and never really had issues on it. Just doesn't seem to play well on my laptop

2. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Don't have anything useful to say wrt the display problems (sorry), but I've also had generally positive experiences with Win 10. I actually willingly switched to Win 8 back when it first came out and always preferred it to Win 7, too. Whenever I have to use a machine with 7 it feels slightly less responsive overall, but maybe it's my imagination.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. RyanPm40

Samsung Suddenly Exposes Radical New Galaxy Smartphone

Pretty incredible. Samsung is working on tech to hide cameras and sensors behind an OLED display panel so they are completely hidden when not in-use. Say goodbye to notches and hello to bezel-less displays

Theyre also revolutionizing how in-display finger print scanners can work, and looking into tech to use the screen itself as a single giant surface to conduct sound

4. Actually some pretty cool tech here.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  5. GBlades

Trusted

Just got an Amazon Fire Stick (yey for watching Netflix without my PS4 sounding like a small plane). Any other apps that are necessary or can someone point me to the discussion if it's happened before?

6. RyanPm40

I've never used one, but let me know if it got YouTube back. I've been interested in getting a 4K one since they're so affordable, but no YouTube is a deal breaker for me (in case you weren't aware, Google and Amazon have been having very childish fights for years now)

7. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah I read about not having YouTube unless it's on the browser but they do have an app now that comes up when you access through Silk. Was going to got the 4K for for £39.99 which was a good deal. Going to the stick of my parents because they want to be able to watch Netflix and Prime. Looks be you get what you pay for.

Any app recommendations, be it apk or app would help

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. mercury and Jason Tate like this.
  9. RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. I tweeted out that it reminds me of a logo for a middling hotel chain

mercury and David Parke like this.
  11. stars143

Trusted

Why do companies do this? Do they just get too big and have design teams that need to justify their existence?

12. lol what the fuck

stars143 and mercury like this.
  13. RyanPm40

[​IMG]

New Samsung foldable phone and four Galaxy S10 models revealed today. Rad.

14. yeah I hope folding phones don't catch - that thing is gross

15. the screen when it's folded is super tiny - you're gonna be using it open the majority of the time.

when closed it looks like a LG Chocolate lol

jorbjorb and RyanPm40 like this.
  16. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

Folded phones are a solution in search of a problem.

17. RyanPm40

Yeah I cant see it being practical today and is more of a gimmick (those bezels when folded are hideous) but I just love to see new innovations and tech companies thinking outside of the box. In the future, if that folded screen could have a larger display, I could see it being a great solution to those people who have a phone and separate tablet. Other companies have tried this, but Samsung seems to currently have the best implementation of it by far.

Those new S10 models are rad though. 5 freaking camera on the plus model and the ultrasonic in-display finger reader seems to be pretty quick and responsive. Really cool that it works with the display turned off.

18. RyanPm40

I do think a more practical version of the foldable phone would be if a company wanted to bring back the flip phone vibe. Imagine the nostalgia of an old Razr flip phone that turns into a full-screen smart phone when opened.

So rather than turning into a tablet, you unfold vertically, saving you space in your pocket and protecting your screen from a drop.

19. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

dark mode in facebook messenger:

make sure you're on the latest version

restart the app

send the crescent moon emoji (the one w/o a face) to one of your contacts

you should see a shower of moons fall down with a notification "dark mode unlocked". works on both iOS and Android. (sometimes you have to tap the emoji for it to trigger.
    It's G O R G E O U S. True dark mode, like proper black.

20. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

Got my tax return this weekend and I’m so tempted to build a PC but idk where to start

21. https://gizmodo.com/why-ji32k7au4a83-is-a-remarkably-common-password-1833045282
    For too many people, moving the digits around in some variation of Patriots69Lover is their idea of a strong password. So you might expect something complicated like” “ji32k7au4a83” would be a great password. But according to the data breach repository Have I Been Pwned (HIBP), it shows up more often than one might expect.

This interesting bit of trivia comes from self-described hardware/software engineer Robert Ou, who recently asked his Twitter followers if they could explain why this seemingly random string of numbers has been seen by HIBP over a hundred times.
    Interesting.

mercury likes this.
  22. I give up on strong passwords :crylaugh:

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

David Parke likes this.
  24. GBlades

Trusted

My Samsung Galaxy S8 broke on Thursday night however was due an upgrade. I bought the Note 9 and, although it's a much larger phone, I will stand by the pen and the specs. Such a beautiful display with so many options. Glad I took the leap and got it in purple, too.

Now I just need to download my apps again.

25. I hope people are coming to the realization today that they don’t need Facebook or Instagram to survive.