Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 20

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. EarthShifts

Trusted

Thanks @Jacob and @David Parke! I reached out to a friend as well and he also suggested ASUS so I’m definitely leaning that way.

David Parke and Jacob like this.
  2. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Surface Pro and Surface Book are fantastic, if budget isn't a huge concern. I've had the SP2 for a few years and it's super reliable and snappy to this day, even without ever reformatting.

From a pure value perspective, you might be able to do a little better with ASUS and similar. I consider the SP/SB lineup somewhat analogous to Apple in the approach of paying some premium for a more quality controlled package, no bloatware, etc.

EarthShifts likes this.
  3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

5. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

thoughts on samsung gear s3? I really like the iwatch better, but dont have an iphone and will not get one.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. RyanPm40 Mar 23, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 23, 2018)
    RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I really enjoy my Gear Sport, no regrets on purchasing mine on black Friday.

I think a few of the things the Sport has over the S3 is that it's cheaper, newer with a newer version of Tizen (or at least it did when released, not sure if S3 has been updated yet), it's saltwater resistant and a smaller watch (perfect for my tiny wrists).

Other than that, the S3 seems to be the better watch, and allows a SIM card and has a speaker, two things the Sport does not have.

Just be aware that if you don't have a Samsung phone, I've heard there are apparently like 5 different apps you need to download to get it working, or something dumb like that. I don't think texting will work from a non-Samsung phone other than the ability to read them, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Also be aware that these watches are not true Android watches and don't use Android Wear if that's something you care about.

7. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

anytime i open twitter or facebook in chrome or safari it brings my browser to a halt and usually ends up in a force quit, is this something on my side or with those websites? other websites like this and wikipedia, etc. seem to be working fine

8. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Track your memory when opening them up to see if it’s spiking, maybe? Chrome especially can be a memory hog and I’d assume those sites are particularly expensive. If you have over 8 gigs I doubt that’s it but could be worth checking

9. So I switched to Tweetbot when twitter stopped supporting their apps and I’ve got some questions if anyone here has answers:

Am I doing something wrong in that I can’t see polls when they’re posted? I have to view the tweet in browser to see that. Is there a reason for this?
    Notification alerts seem to be all over the place no matter how much I try to customize them. I’m already frustrated that I doing get post notifications on mobile.
    Lack of gif posting support on Mac seems like a huge miss. I can copy and paste from the browser but it’d be nice to have an integrated search function in-app

These are likely silly things but I was hoping Tweetbot would be a direct replacement and it’s only kinda close.

10. Twitter doesn't open up the poll API. Have to click the date to see it.

11. That's how they get you... :(

12. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

I'm going to throw my budget Belkin router against the wall. It drops signal almost daily. I don't know what's going on but I think it's time to actually invest in a decent router.

Any suggestions? I think I'm just going to go with the Wirecutter's rec.

13. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

14. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Do you happen to live in an apartment building or in close quarters with other buildings that have a lot of wireless networks? If so, then there can be issues with wireless signals hitting each other in the air. If that's the case, you wanna make sure to have a 5ghz router instead of the old 2.4ghz. The former has more wireless channels that allow for less collisions in the air. Don't really know much about different brands, though. Cisco tends to make among the best.

15. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Just upgraded my modem to an Arris Surfboard and my router to a Google WiFi. Hope I made the right choice!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Does anyone use a vertical mouse to mitigate issues with hand/wrist fatigue and strain? Any recommendations?

17. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone use a VPN/can recommend one? Also thoughts on it? I've looked into PIA and TunnelBear, but with TunnelBear being acquired by Mcafee, I'm thinking of going with PIA.

18. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

I use PIA and it's always worked great for me. I haven't tried anything else.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I feel like I have made up an alternate reality or something. I have a dropbox account. I had pics on it from my old phone that broke. Without the dropbox account I don't have access to those pics and I have a lot of cool memories on it. The dropbox account used to be linked to my laptop and I could view all the pics in the folder. Now when I look its just pics synced from my current phone. I thought maybe the broken phone pics were under a dropbox account with my other email. But when I tried logging in with that one the account didn't exist. I refuse to believe those pics are gone forever because I know they are somewhere in the dropbox universe but where did they go???? Am I just dumb??

sidenote: this quest has taught me that I'm terrible at taking pictures. Man all those years taking photography in hs were for nothing

20. Kiana Apr 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 15, 2018)
    Kiana

OK UPDATE. I have still not located my missing pictures but dropbox does show my old broken phone as being connected to my account, so it was under this email. So these photos did exist in dropbox at one time and I'm not crazy!! But where did they all go, Dropbox???? What did u doooo with them??

[​IMG]

21. Kiana

I FOUND THEM NO THANX TO THE DROPBOX HELP CENTER. TAKE THAT, DROPBOX. TAKE THAT, TECHNOLOGY. NANCY DREW, WHO???? IT SHOWS THAT IF YOUR HEART IS PURE YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING

[​IMG]

mercury and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  22. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Haha, I was just about to make a suggestion too, but glad you found them!

23. Kiana

Hahaha the pics I was looking for weren't on it tho. I think I'm outta luck with that. Did find some cool ones I'd forgotten about tho

24. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Very happy with my Google WiFi so far. Setting it up was a breeze.

David Parke likes this.
  25. number2withcheese

Newbie Supporter

What did you switch from? I'm thinking of picking one up now that my Apple Airport has been acting up.