Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 18

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. lightning

ok i can actually attest to this, this is the fastest i've ever had a browser work. i also appreciate the new look.

2. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

wow, this browser is the real deal.

3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i'm in the beta channel for firefox so i've had this for a few weeks and ye it's great, tons of great features built in too like send to device, screenshots, pocket integration

4. mescalineeyes

Unfortunately no keychain access on Mac OS so that’s a dealbreaker :/

5. storm likes this.
  6. mescalineeyes

the guy with the sonic avatar would like a browser that goes fast :eh:

RyanPm40, scott and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  8. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Are smart TVs as easily ‘hacked’ and ‘dangerous’ as I’ve read? Is it worth it to just never use the smart TV part and get a fire stick instead?

9. Google collects Android users' locations even when location services are disabled
    Many people realize that smartphones track their locations. But what if you actively turn off location services, haven’t used any apps, and haven’t even inserted a carrier SIM card?

Even if you take all of those precautions, phones running Android software gather data about your location and send it back to Google when they’re connected to the internet, a Quartz investigation has revealed.

Since the beginning of 2017, Android phones have been collecting the addresses of nearby cellular towers — even when location services are disabled — and sending that data back to Google. The result is that Google, the unit of Alphabet behind Android, has access to data about individuals’ locations and their movements that go far beyond a reasonable consumer expectation of privacy.

Quartz observed the data collection occur and contacted Google, which confirmed the practice

The cell tower addresses have been included in information sent to the system Google uses to manage push notifications and messages on Android phones for the past 11 months, according to a Google spokesperson. They were never used or stored, the spokesperson said, and the company is now taking steps to end the practice after being contacted by Quartz. By the end of November, the company said, Android phones will no longer send cell-tower location data to Google, at least as part of this particular service, which consumers cannot disable.

10. I wouldn't say they're dangerous, but yeah, they are hackable. I think so many people just put them online anyway though.

How to keep your smart TV from spying on you | ZDNet

I dunno, I don't have one.

David87 likes this.
  11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

As far as I can tell it’s hard to get a 4K screen that isn’t also a smart TV...if I get one I think I’ll just grab a firestick and not activate that shit haha

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

ugh. figured as much

13. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Just ordered my first tv upgrade in 5 years or so, so it's 'smart', def keeping it offline though.

14. I’m surprised that this hasn’t been talked about more. I haven’t seen anything about this aside from a few twitter reports.

15. mescalineeyes

no one really cares that deeply about what kind of shit google pulls anymore. it just comes with the territory at this point.

don't be evil lol

skogsraet likes this.
  16. Same here. Has anyone started a thread on Bitcoin and or Blockchain here?

17. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Was just thinking this. I've been pretty hyped on IOTA this past week.

ianebaldwin likes this.
  18. hoodrat

Regular

Love the IOTA project but regretfully had to dump my coins back in October due to their wallet being garbage and Bitfinex being on the cusp of blocking US customers (I was just keeping them on the exchange while waiting for a new wallet). I’m 80% ARK and 20% BTC right now. Thinking ARK will explode in the first half of 2018.

ianebaldwin likes this.
  19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Not sure where to really post this, but, got an Amazon Alexa as a gift and I am excited about using it, but other than asking it to play background music, what do you folks who have one use it the most for? Or what uses does it have that I may not be considering or thinking of?

20. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I got one too. Coolest thing I’ve discovered so far is that it will actually turn on my AV receiver if i ask it to “connect to the speaker”

ianebaldwin likes this.
  21. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I use it only for music myself. I think if you ask for Amazon deals, you can get exclusive things.

22. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Does anyone in here have a Google home? If so, do you already have Google Assistant on your phone, and still think a Google Home mini or something is worth buying? I'm still not totally seeing the benefit to it.

23. lightning

dylan likes this.
  24. lightning

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.