Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 16

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

The Yahoo Stream app

2. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Any other Apple Music subscribers having this error message come up recently? I'm currently subscribed to Apple Music, so I shouldn't need iTunes Match anymore to listen to music I added to my iCloud Music Library from other sources.

[​IMG]

4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Not entirely sure if anyone here will have the answer, but it's worth a shot. Does anyone know how to get the tip of an aux cable out of a port? One broke off in my car and I'm trying to avoid having to take the entire dashboard off haha. It's literally just the very tip of it and not the whole thing.

5. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Some sort of pliers.

6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Thanks. I'll have to look again and see if we have anything small enough. I think most were way too big though.

7. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

If there is nothing sticking out you may need to take the thing apart.

8. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

put a dab of gorilla blue on a toothpick or something similar, then put that on the AUX tip and let it dry. it should pull right out if it holds on.

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  9. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Just spent way too long making my Linux distro in work look nice and dark. Fucking Eclipse ruining everything. Wish I didn't have to use it.

10. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, that's not something I can personally do so I'd have to take it in somewhere. Right now I'm just trying to avoid that haha.

Didn't even think of that! Thanks.

sean_rugy likes this.
  11. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

no problem! it worked for me a couple of years ago. hopefully you have similar luck!

Deanna likes this.
  12. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I never post in this part of the forum but a sis needs some help.

Basically I lost my phone and it's gone 4ever. I still owe a ton of money on it tho so getting a brand new one rn is just not a possibility. I've been looking on eBay for phones that will work with Verizon but idk. Most reviews for every phone I've looked at are positive, but there's always a couple reviews who say their phone didn't work/it was a scam and I'm super nervous. I am looking at galaxy phones cause its just what I've always used, but like a s5 or s6 cause I can't afford anything more recent. Idk are there trusty sellers or things to look out for?? Idk I'm nervous to commit and buy one cause those few minority reviews freak me out. My current phone can't even make or receive phone calls, the front facing camera doesn't work, and neither does my GPS. I'm struggling over here lol.

13. christsizedshoes

Trusted

If you're (understandably) concerned about buying used or from a questionable source, the Moto G5 Plus is a pretty solid Verizon-compatible new option for around $200: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5MEKSW/?tag=absolutepunk-20

The camera, screen quality, and a few other other aspects won't compete with higher-end $700+ phones... but personally, I think I'd prefer using this more than a Galaxy S5 with its ancient software. That's just me, though.

For used stuff, Swappa has a pretty good reputation.

Kiana likes this.
  14. Kiana

Thanks! I will looks into those links. I've never been a big phone buff so I was just looking into what I know but I'm def not set on any particular type of phone and have an open mind! I am hoping to stumble upon something reliable enough to at least get me through until my lost phone is paid off, which won't be for like 2 years because I just got it a few months ago smh @ myself.

15. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Considering the LG V30 as my next phone... a little risky bc the G4 and G5 were the biggest pieces of shit I've ever owned, but the V-series seems to always get better reviews and the G6 did really well.. I'm excited for the B&O collab with the best audio experience in a smart phone, plus the OLED display panel for saving battery and shutting off pixels for true blacks.

Hoping LG got their shit together. My 4k smart tv from them is amazing, but haven't been thrilled with the quality control of their phones.

It's so nitpicky, but legit the main reason I don't want a Galaxy is their incredibly stupid placement of the finger scanner next to the camera.

16. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I know and 100% understand that it's a struggle (and rip-off) to get a newer phone, but if you can find a good deal on a used phone that's somewhat recent, I'd recommend that mainly because of all of the security breaches that have been occurring all over the world lately. Hackers seem less scared nowadays. Before making a purchase, I'd do a little googling to see if Verizon still provides security updates for that phone at the very least. They've started getting really good about it and I get one nearly every month on my LG G5, but they may stop support for much older devices.

17. Kiana Sep 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 16, 2017)
    Kiana

Omg I got the Moto phone and the HASSLE of it all lol. The consultant person at the store didn't know what to do and so she called someone from up high and she hadn't heard of the phone either and was baffled and ended up screwing something up and it took forever to fix it so I was there for like 3 hours but it's connected now lol!

Edit: and I'm loving it so far minus these ugly blob emojis so thank u!

christsizedshoes likes this.
  18. algae

Regular Prestigious

19. cherrywaves

Trusted

20. algae

Regular Prestigious

The problem is that the playlist is only available within this article and not through the actual Soundcloud site :/

21. cherrywaves

Trusted

You try looking at the page source at all? I guess I don't know what other answer to give you :( sorry

22. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

My old laptop finally died. I think it's a power supply issue, and I think the hard drive is fine. But I am done trying to replace components just to string along it's life, considering I have a newer laptop anyway. But I still need to get all the files off of it. So my question is, I've read about adapters and docking stations you can plug the hard drive in to... but how does that work? It doesn't seem like it's the same as a just an external hard drive...I would be plugging it in to my current laptop but I need to access Firefox so I can recover my bookmarks.

23. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Just got an Echo for my (early) birthday. If anyone has any useful Skills, etc. let me know!

24. Definitely get Jeopardy. It's a lot of fun to play every day. I have everything set up to turn my lights on now (Lutron), and I love that.

25. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

LOL my girlfriend has been playing Jeopardy on and off throughout the evening tonight. Yeah, I really want to get all the lights and a Nest now.

For now, having the ability to add to Todoist and have a bluetooth speaker (though not great quality) for Apple Music/Overcast in itself makes it worth the price IMO. She got it for $80 refurbished which was a great deal.

Jason Tate likes this.