Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 15

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. drewinseries

Drew

Awesome thanks! My apartment is kind of big for the area, but it is one floor, but that looks good price and quality wise. I can always look into an extender as needed.

2. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I get good reception almost entirely of my two story house. Only part is the front of my bonus room but it's mostly due to the router placement. Router is in the back right of the house and my dead zone is the front right of the house on the second floor. Even get reception in my attic so it seriously gets reception through 3 floors.

3. drewinseries

Drew

That's perfect.

Ours will be right where our TV is, and I'll likely wire the PS4/Apple TV to it. My desktop is in the connecting room very close to the TV where I will need a wired connection so it should work out well. That would leave laptops and phones to wifi.

4. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Should work. My iMac is near the edge of its range and even then the speed isn't terrible. If the router is close to the tv it also has the ports to hardware the Apple TV and PS4 in.

5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Bought a WD 4TB portable HD for $110 today since I was down to 120GB left on my 2TB external... was hoping the slickdeal for the WD 8TB was still around at BB for $180, but this'll do for another two years.

6. Spam in my kitchen: The Amazon Echo Show arrives
    Unfortunately, right now the Echo Show’s main screen isn’t customizable beyond the background wallpaper image. At its best, it shows me the current time and weather for my town. At its worst, it’s a billboard for garbage news headlines and videos I don’t care about.

Short of putting the device in Do Not Disturb mode, there’s nothing I can do to stop the flow of stuff I don’t want onto that screen. Amazon needs to do better, and fast. If I could configure the Echo Show to just show the time and the weather forecast, I’d be much happier. It would be even better if I could choose widgets to put into the rotation and provide actual information of value.

What I don’t want in my kitchen is spam. And right now, that’s what the Echo Show is doing—it’s spamming my eyes when I’m in the kitchen. I’m willing to give it a little bit of time for Amazon to get its act together, but it’s embarrassing that this product shipped with this feature as the default. It’s like buying a TV set or car stereo that can’t be taken out of showroom demo mode.

Brutal.

sean_rugy likes this.
  7. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

For anyone using CloudFlare on their domains, I recommend installing this application in preparation for July 12th.

8. crunchprank

Exciting things happening for WikiTribune.

9. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Congrats on their owners getting richer.

10. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

11. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

12. I'm an Amazon Prime member so I decided to check out Prime Music and it's missing a ton of music. Is that just me?

13. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

They only have what they considered the top 8 million songs and to have basically the full catalog of music you have to subscribe to Amazon Music

14. Agh ok, thanks.

15. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Wanting to upgrade to a 4k TV. Really liking the LG OLED sets. Anyone have any tips/advice/etc on 4k tvs?

16. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  17. musicandlyrics

Xaxa Mckenzie

So sad upon hearing the news that MS Paint won't be gone for real.

18. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I love Ms paint!

19. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I spent countless hours on MS Paint as a kid it's a real shame.

20. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I love how hitting "most recent" on Facebook still brings up shit that happened days ago.

21. crunchprank

Anyone know any reliable search engines that index what is available for streaming on Netflix? Preferably one that adds/removes stuff as quickly as Netflix does itself.

Edit: To clarify my reasoning, I don't have a Netflix account but want to be able to recommend movies to others who do have Netflix.

22. jorbjorb

7 rings

Rotten Tomatoes

crunchprank likes this.
  23. crunchprank

Well shoot, so simple I didn't even think about checking them. Thanks! :-)

jorbjorb likes this.
  24. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Not sure if this fits in here or not, but is anyone here involved with cryptocurrency?

25. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious