Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 14

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. The touch screen is killing you on price. If you can do without, keep an eye on the GFX card and if it has a second internal HDD for media. The Costco one I got was a 512 SSD and 1 TB HDD. So money for me. Also has a GTX 1050 ti in it. No touch screen needed for me. Upgradable ram to 32GB. It's on the low end of gaming laptops according to reviews but it's perfect for video editing which is why I got it.

That price you found at Best Buy isn't terrible though but you can get more mileage if you ditch the touch screen methinks

muttley likes this.
  2. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I was totally opposed to it until recently. I've been trying to embrace whatever technology was out since I bought my current laptop 7 years ago haha.

3. I mean sounds like you're on the right path. I think computers are getting to this ubiquitous state where the "shitty" ones are still pretty rad.

4. The shitty ones are still really bad. Windows is a trainwreck of bad. Just yuck.

5. Have you used 10? No sass, genuine question. I was pleasantly surprised with what I got. GFX guys at work had me build them two new systems last year and they're rock solid. Granted marvel security standards keep them off the internet but the OS is fine and cross platorm software and SMB file sharing is consistently working as of late.

I'm still "a Mac guy" but when comparing $3495 to $999 for the same performance, how could I say no? I'll be keeping an eye on the next release obviously.

lightning13 likes this.
  6. Yeah. It's awful. Truly awful. (And the software alone makes it not in the same ballpark as the "same performance" in my opinion.)

7. Idk. I'm speaking from a strictly adobe CC perspective. The Metal renderer doesn't render as quickly as cuda and the currently product lineup across the board is AMD. I'm in the "time is money" world as of late in terms of turning around dailies, etc. my biggest pain is not being able to render ProRes files from media encoder. Other than that, it does everything I need it to.

But believe me, for my personal computing, it's macOS. But for work, at least for now, its this windows box and the ones I made for the GFX guys at work.

8. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Old laptop had it's graphics card die so I finally had an excuse to get a new laptop.

Decided to go with a Taurinus x200 from Libiquity and it was an amazing purchase idea. Runs with 100% free software, including the BIOS. Runs fast and smooth and the fact that is free from anything kind of restrictive or DRM firmware/bloatware is even better. Loving this so far, just taking a while for me to rebuild everything I need to on it lol.

David Parke likes this.
  9. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

does anyone know a decent email client for WIndows? I'm using Outlook at work right now and it's becoming super buggy. I wish I could use a Mac, but that's not an option here. I've seen Mailbird as an option but that's really it. thanks!

10. jorbjorb

7 rings

your work lets you use what ever email client you want? I'm stuck with outlook at my work.

11. sean_rugy

as long as it's free they don't really mind

12. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

I've never waded into the email client wars. Outlook's web portal and gmail's native interface have always been plenty to suit my needs.

13. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

14. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

15. Got fiber internet today. Life will never be the same.

Jason Tate and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  16. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I miss having fiber internet.

17. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I miss my dorm room internet

18. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe things have changed since I was in college but this was something never uttered by any of us.

ZooZooChaCha and Jacob like this.
  19. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

fastest internet i've used it was crazy.

20. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

For some reason a UC school having super fast internet doesn't surprise me.

21. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

hey we're one of the top in the world for our physics research ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. lots of data about stuff no one cares about to be uploaded.

probably shouldn't shit on my own major lol.

22. devenstonow

Noobie

23. sean_rugy

I don't know if anyone here listens to Ctrl-Walt-Delete from The Verge but I just bought a ticket to see their last episode live. cannot wait to watch Walt sign off for one last time in person, super hyped.

ZooZooChaCha likes this.
  24. drewinseries

Drew

Anyone who uses their own modem have any recommendations? Thinking of getting my own for my new apartment.

25. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

ARRIS SURFboard SBG6900AC DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi AC1900 Router - Retail Packaging - White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PE1WZQ/?tag=absolutepunk-20

This is the newer model of the modem router I have and can't complain about it. Should cover an entire apartment. It covers all but the far reaches of my house mostly because my router can't be in a central location.