Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 13

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

"We discovered one or more bugs in your app when reviewed on iPad & iPhone running iOS 10.3.1 on Wi-Fi connected to an IPv6 network." GG NO RE. apparently a lot of people get this, and then just randomly get approved?

2. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Was there any explanation of what the IPv6 issue is?

Because unless you're interpreting or using an IP address directly and expecting it to look a certain way, then you shouldn't see any issues with it since both v4 and v6 do the same thing at their core, they're just represented differently.

3. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

welp looks like it was Apple's fault. Today's been stressful.

4. Picture this: Senate staffers’ ID cards have photo of smart chip, no security
    The Government Accountability Office repeatedly warned of gaps in federal information security, including the lack of two-factor authentication on critical federal systems like those at OPM. And during President Barack Obama’s “cyber-sprint,” many more agencies did roll out smartcards for authentication.

But apparently Congress never took its own advice. A letter from Senator Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) to the Senate’s Committee on Rules and Administration last week pointed out that while many executive branch employees now have PIV cards with chips embedded in them, Senate employees get ID cards with a picture of a chip on them…

5. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

yik yak is shutting down. guess what people used to use to find parties a lot. :eh:

6. I googled Owt to see what the app was about and check it out. I don't think I found yours. Heh.

7. ReginaPhilange Apr 30, 2017
    (Last edited: May 1, 2017)
    ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

haha ya we're not ranked well on google with just "owt". Owt app pops up our angel list and itunes store. won't be much to look at in our app right now since everyone who is using it is in Isla Vista rn, but you can check out our website:
    Owt

we're doing a complete debug/ui rehaul rn, should be ready by saturday. will be nice to have cuz all though i'm fine with how the app looks it really needs that professional touch and we just got a UI designer helping us with that. (and it's kinda buggy but that's the nature of the beast, been debugging all week)

8. Does anyone have recommendations for a dual-band router that consistently support download speeds of at least 50mbps?

9. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

whoa, have you guys changed names or anything? I used a beta version of an app with an owl logo and a very similar concept a couple years back, pretty sure it wasn't called Owt though. Hope that overhaul went smoothly!

10. Snapchat is stifled by its un-algorithmic feed
    nstagram pulled off a similar product coup this year. Previously it showed you every picture and video posted by people you followed in reverse-chronological order. Since these posts take up much more room in the feed, it was easy for one trigger-happy user on vacation or at an event to suddenly dominate the timeline and suppress everyone else. Meanwhile, it subtly discouraged people from posting multiple times per day for fear of having this spammy impact on their friends’ feeds.

Then Instagram switched to a relevancy-sorted algorithmic feed. It’s growth rate spiked, sharing per user increased, and Instagram has added 200 million monthly active users since to reach 700 million.

In both cases, going algorithmic seemed antithetical to the core identity of the services, and long-time users vocally griped that their apps were ruined…but they weren’t. Twitter wants you to know what’s going on in the world. Instagram wants you to see what’s going on with your friends and interests. Both missions are better accomplished when you see the most relevant content first, no matter how often or little you open the apps.
    Algorithmic feeds: Hated by core users, loved by everyone else.

sean_rugy and fame like this.
  11. IIRC this is the one I installed for someone recently and liked it.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Put this one in at my parents house (for my sake basically haha). Definitely a solid router.

popdisaster00 and Jason Tate like this.
  13. I've been wondering if I could improve speeds if I installed a new router in the condo. I should probably upgrade from Cat 5 first for the wired portions, but I really don't have the money to do that.

14. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

good things just happened. very very good things.
    haha no, wasn't us. there have been a couple similar ideas in the past, the closest to making it was based in the UK iirc, was a couple years ago too. they ran into some PR trouble, don't remember why. overhaul is in the process rn. big things happened today, so things are going very well.

15. mercury

Gotcha. I'm surprised I remembered it, but the owl logo is what stood out. iirc there weren't really any users so it was really difficult to test, haha. Anyways, glad it's going well!

16. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

interesting! only other owl apps I know are in different types of media. I came up with the owl/Owt idea when asking a friend what we should use as a logo, and he suggested a Raccoon hahaha, mostly because there are so many of them in Isla Vista. For whatever reason that reminded me of a white owl I saw in IV once and it just fit. Thank god we didn't go with a raccoon lol. The idea before that was a balloon. also bad.

17. mercury

Haha I love raccoons! But the owl makes a lot more sense for sure. Also probably makes for a much better logo. Idk, branding is hard.

18. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

The very first name was "Banger" hahaha. so bad.

19. Tom Warren writing for The Verge:
    In a FAQ for Windows 10 S, Microsoft admits “you are able to download another browser that might be available from the Windows Store, but Microsoft Edge will remain the default if, for example, you open an .htm file.” This means if you click a link from another app, or open a link from an email then you’ll be thrown into Microsoft Edge, even if you wanted to use another browser. It’s not clear if Google will even bring Chrome to the Windows Store, but if it does then it might be a pointless venture as it won’t be fully functional without being the default browser on Windows 10 S.

Likewise, Microsoft is also crippling its own Edge browser. The default search provider in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer in Windows 10 S cannot be changed. Bing will be the default, and Microsoft is preventing users from switching to Google or other search providers for some unknown reason.

Isn't that the kinda thing that got them in trouble last time?

20. clippy looks like he's seen some shit

sean_rugy and mercury like this.
  21. I happened to be on chorus when I made this decision so I'm posting here. I'm a video editor and my Mac died. I'm a new father and while I'm a Mac devotee, the new product line and it's price points had me seriously reconsidering my next system.

Well, I bought the new MBPr with touch bar and an asus ROG with similar specs for 1/4 the price at Costco. After a week of bench testing, I'm returning the Mac. I'll fix my old one for $600 and continue to use it as my personal computer but the windows box will now be my workhorse and I'm kinda stoked. Windows 10 is great, runs avid and premiere which is 90% of my work anyway and I'll have a good computer on hand if I need FCP.

Trying to find a good remapping hack to make the ctl/ alt/ command keys fit to my muscle memory but I'm very happy with the performance on such a small Pricepoint. This $999 laptop held its own in every way against the new tbMBP. Thought I'd share my story and see if any other editors made the mac to pc jump?

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Mac product lineup as a fanboy that wants them to make a great product but this current product lineup ain't it for me.

22. HP laptops covertly log user keystrokes, researchers warn
    HP is selling more than two dozen models of laptops and tablets that covertly monitor every keystroke a user makes, security researchers warned Thursday. The devices then store the key presses in an unencrypted file on the hard drive.

The keylogger is included in a device driver developed by Conexant, a manufacturer of audio chips that are included in the vulnerable HP devices. That’s according to an advisory published by modzero, a Switzerland-based security consulting firm. One of the device driver components is MicTray64.exe, an executable file that allows the driver to respond when a user presses special keys. It turns out that the file sends all keystrokes to a debugging interface or writes them to a log file available on the computer’s C drive.

23. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Where's the best place to purchase a laptop? I've always looked at Newegg and I found one that seems to meet my needs at Bestbuy. I'll have to check prices on amazon before buying.

24. What kind do you want? I got mine at Costco and LOVE it. I'm usually a Mac guy but I needed one for work quick and I haven't been in love with apple's product like. $1k got me a sweet upgraded system I could get back to work with quick.

25. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Looking to upgrade my everyday laptop. I'd like to do more gaming but it's mainly for browsing, pictures, and music. Been eyeing this one lately: Lenovo - 2-in-1 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 940MX - 256GB SSD - Pearl black
    I'd like more than 256gb though so I'm still shopping around. That's the far end o my budget, too.
    I know someone with a Costco membership so maybe I'll look into that.