Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 12

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

thank you! was trying to find Unsplash and couldn't find it for the life of me.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. Searching will also always pull something up.

I did it that way to avoid the popular forums getting filled too quickly with threads.

Nick likes this.
  3. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

As far as clients go, I came across NZBGet a while back and fell in love instantly - it looks like they have a Mac option. As far as indexes go, I typically do more searching so I don't have any "go-to's" really. A couple good indexers I use are binsearch.info and nzb.is.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Thanks!

I've been using sabnzbd, and dognzb/nzbgeek recently and found good results.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

yeah I couldn't remember what it was called. searched everything i could think of. thought it was in the graphic design thread.

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Comcast venturing into the wireless market.

7. windowbirds

close your eyes until tomorrow Supporter

I mistakenly deleted 4GB of miscellaneous files from my mom's phone. Is there any way to recover them on an android phone?

8. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

messed up and locked myself out of my server. Linode helped me out and damn they have some excellent customer service. Also smart stores needs to be a thing. I know amazon is playing with the idea but someone could develop a whole company around that - smart carts that scan items as you drop them in, automatically connects to your phone, and then you just click confirm purchase on the phone to checkout. no lines, less cashiers, and all the tech is already there.

9. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

also i'm working on a mockup for a startup i'm doing with my oldest but i'm a bit skeptical about this one. it's basically airbnb for storage, Closet Share, where you can store your stuff in someone's spare room and we will install a smart lock on anyone who wants to rent out the room that interacts with the cloud so the person can always know if the door is locked and unlock it via their phone. i just dont' know people will actually feel safe about storing their stuff at a strangers house? need to do some polling before we go forward on this one.

10. crunchprank

Typically this would be associated with some firewall changes gone wrong and locking you out of SSH, was that the case? I'm not familiar with Linode's services, but I'd check to see if they offer VNC console access to your server that would let you log in locally which helps in troubleshooting networking issues with the server.

11. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

yes they have all of that. I'm not super familiar with this stuff but it was indeed a firewall issue. was something ufw open 22 or something like that.

12. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

SSH runs via port 22 so it would look like your IP was no longer being recognized as allowed to pass through the firewall on that port. Can happen if you're using really strict firewall rules and allowing only specific IP addresses to go through instead of allowing entire subnets. The former allows for a stricter and safer server access but has the downside of needing to be updated every time an IP address changes like via DHCP.

13. Backed 100%.

Jacob likes this.
  14. Definitely locked myself out of a few servers using IP tables in my time.

Jacob likes this.
  15. Yeah, they have something called LISH:

Using the Linode Shell (Lish)

16. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Live and learn haha.

17. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

getting notifications working has been a nightmare. We were supposed to have back end developers for this but none of they were working so we axed them and now i've been having learn how to do all this in like a week.

18. Timmiluvs

Hire me, Im a poor SE college student who graduates in like a month :^)

19. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Celeber | AngelList you can apply through here. might be redundant since I can just talk to you on here haha but we like having everything consolidated on there.

20. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

ChaseTx and Timmiluvs like this.
  21. crunchprank

Meant to also say that I honestly don't see any actual issue with users feeling safe about storing their stuff with a stranger. That is to say, I don't think they'd feel any more unsafe doing that then using AirBNB to live in a strangers house or using Uber/Lyft to get in a car with a stranger. So long as it has a good platform for feedback, reviews, and communication - then it seems like a viable service to me. But of course with something like this, I'd assume you would need to look into safety measures and security and all that unfun stuff (whatever it's referred to, I don't know anything about businesses).

Jacob likes this.
  22. ReginaPhilange Apr 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 23, 2017)
    ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Social media is gonna be replaced by something soon. It won't go away, it's already too big to go away, but there's a vacuum opening up. What will fill it, i'm not really sure. I mean it'd be sick if Owt can be a part in that but it's way too early to tell, and most apps fail so we'll see. I do think it'll involve what I like to call connectivity apps - apps that actually facilitate face to face engagement. We can already see that being filled with the recent rise in dating apps. We have to unlearn engaging with profile pics and relearn how to actually go out and do stuff. This isn't me being an old geezer, this is coming from the studies that have been done on how people are being turned away from social media because of how depressed it makes them. It's also partly what made snapchat so popular, because honestly snapchat on paper doesn't even sound like something people use, but they captured something important - being in the moment. next step is being in the moment with actual people around you.

EDIT: and don't get me wrong, social media is good in a lot of ways, but it's kind of like a drug that's being abused and because of that it's become problematic. that's why it'll never go away, but it's going to be counteracted by something new that will "detox" us and then create a healthier balance.

23. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Idk, I think it's gonna be an exciting new era for tech these next few years. People want the "new" thing and I think it's right around the corner. which means potential to make something huge.

24. ReginaPhilange Apr 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 23, 2017)
    ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

also lol. March 17th. We actually are launching in 3 days now though. barring any major issues. Came up with a cool name for our users "Owtlets: The people you connect to"

my obnoxious love for puns has come full circle and is actually useful now haha. I love how cheesy you have to get with building a brand, but it's literally how you imbed it into peoples' brains.

25. Timmiluvs

Laptop had it's graphics card die on me yesterday, just a bright white screen.

A good, solid punch revived it for now, but it won't last long. At least now it gives me an excuse to pick up an RYF approved laptop from the FSF, been meaning to get one but couldn't justify the cost until now. It should be here next week.