Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Technology Chat Thread • Page 10

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Audio drivers probably. Check HP's support site for your model and OS

2. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

So for the past few months I've been getting internet to my PC and PS4 through a 150ft CAT5E Ethernet cable all the way through my house that goes from my modem to a Router that I basically use as as a switch to wire through to my PC as well as an Xbox One and PS4. This has worked fine for a while but recently my PC and PS4 have not been receiving internet. Originally I thought this was an issue with the router but when I plug the 150ft cable directly into the PC and the PS4 they do not think a cable is plugged in, while the Xbox still registers it. Anyone have an idea what this could be? Am I just dealing with a broken RJ45 connector?

3. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Could be a few things. Cables work or they don't. If it's working for Xbox the cable is fine. Off the cuff I'd say it's a DHCP issue. Best way to tell for sure is plug the cable directly into the modem and see if the other two get IPs.

4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

5. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Anyone gotten into smart light bulbs? I had some Xmas gift card money on Amazon to play around with and bought one of the little starter kits. Curious to see if it's fun and I'm going to end up ordering more bulbs and color bulbs or if it's just gimmicky and I lose interest real fast.

6. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

7. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Tumblr Hit Counter

I'm not good with this kind of stuff, so I wanted to ask if someone could take a look at this and tell me if it seems save, or if I shouldn't embed this into my Tumblr? I would appreciate it a lot.

8. Carmen SD

Trusted

Is it time for a new phone? I currently have the iPhone 5s. By battery can die pretty quickly. Just now I charged it because it said 1%, then it quickly jumped to 21%. Sometimes when it's low battery it will jump from like 16% to dead. Not sure if I want to go with an iPhone again because they took away the earbud port. Thinking about the galaxy but you can't bring them on planes right now. I'm stuck.

9. I'd say yes. And get the iPhone 7.

10. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

It's definitely time to upgrade. What's your budget?

And avoid Samsung. lol

11. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

It's not really about safety but more like, they're not accurate, and they kinda look obnoxious and outdated nowadays haha. Is there a particular reason you want it?

If you want to track visitors, I'd use Google Analytics: Using Google Analytics | Tumblr

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  12. Carmen SD

Trusted

My budget is probably $200 (with trade in). Right now I can't afford an upgrade. My phone still works so I'll have to put money aside until it totall starts to die.

If Samsung is bad news then idk what phone to get if I don't keep iPhone. I won't go droid! Haha

13. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Well Samsung is android? There are better androids though. Moto E or Moto G for example. Imo anyway. The cheapest iPhone you can get is the $399 iPhone SE.

14. Carmen SD

Trusted

Ah I didn't know android was by Samsung lol. The galaxy seemed cool so I was interested in trying it if I decided to part from iPhone. I've always had iPhone so it's though decision.

15. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Thanks! No I just like them because they are such an ugly old internet thing, haha.

lightning13 likes this.
  16. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Android is by Google. Samsung's phones use it. I would just personally recommend Moto G if you wanted a good Android phone, not Samsung.

armistice likes this.
  17. Carmen SD

Trusted

I'm trying to avoid android if possible because it was too complicated for me when I last looked at one a few years ago. I've only had iPhone so I'm not familiar with other options like what's considered android phones, Google phones, etc. are they the same? How are each different. Pros and cons. What other types of phones are out there. Lol

Edit: I googled android phones and all the different models. I'm gonna research all of them when I have the time

18. christsizedshoes

Trusted

As a rule of thumb, everything that isn't an iPhone is probably running Android, these days.

If you can stretch the budget a bit past $200, it's hard to beat a Moto X Pure Edition in the low-budget price range. It works on all major U.S. carriers, which is rare to find. Also, the interface is stock Android, so it's pretty simple to use compared to the clutter you'll find on Samsung's and LG's skinned software.

I can understand the hesitation to move away from iPhone if that's what you've always had. It will take some getting used to if you switch. But if your budget is under $400, you're not going to find anything from Apple that isn't used and at least a couple years old. Maybe you can find a 6 for like $350? It would be a noticeable upgrade, but still behind the times, at this point.

Carmen SD and lightning13 like this.
  19. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Moto, LG, HTC and Samsung all run on Android. Android is the OS by Google, like iOS is the OS by Apple on iPads and iPhones. Google also has its own line of phones (obv on Android) like the Nexus and Pixel. Either get a Moto or iPhone SE. Otherwise you'll be over budget or getting a bad or outdated phone.

Carmen SD likes this.
  20. Carmen SD

Trusted

Thanks guys! That clears up my confusion.

21. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

So our app is launching by March 17th. Marketing team is going into overdrive these 3 weeks. I'm hoping we can establish a healthy user base by next year. I'll post it here once we launch if anyone would like to check it out. It's gonna be a MVP so there will be a lot of updates to add additional features as time goes on. I came up with the name Owt, "Get Owt There" is our slogan and we have an owl (night owl pun) as our logo. V excited!

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  22. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

When it's a success, hire me. haha

Jacob likes this.
  23. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I'll add you to my shortlist ;)

24. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

We have a team of about 15 right now. Not sure what we're doing with our developers once we launch though. I might be in charge of getting a new dev team together for debugging and pushing out features.

25. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, what I meant was when your company is successful enough to finally expand lol.

I'll be graduating in May, woot. Haven't looked for a job yet, as I want to take like 5 months off. I'm not too worried as I had a few unsolicited job offers to me back in the Fall, BUT they were shit. They were like: "one day, you'll drive to Cleveland to assist our dev team there and some days you'll drive to Columbus". UM HELL NO

Jason Tate and Jacob like this.