Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teachers/Educators Thread • Page 9

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Metzler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Back when I taught I was pretty extensively trained in Conscious Discipline and it's one of the things I miss most about teaching because they don't use it at my current job which is ridic but I got awarded a scholarship for a week long conscious discipline summer institute training that my boss gave me permission to go to and I am hyyyyped. I feel like I've gotten super rusty on the little details.

2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

bunch of kids just tricked their friend into saying Mike Hunt and they saw me laugh at it am I gonna get fired

popdisaster00 and David87 like this.
  3. Philll

Trusted

True story, I had a teacher in high school called Mr Hunt and my friend dared me to ask him if his first name was Mike. I didn't get it, so I asked the question, and it only dawned on me when the teacher responded "yes, very funny, my name is Mike Hunt". To this day I'm amazed he let me get away with it.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  4. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

wait was that actually his name

5. Philll

Trusted

lol no, it was York

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

The surveys at the beginning of the year from students are always fun. One kid answered the question "do you think you're smart" by talking about the theory of the multiverses and how that means some version of him out there is a genius so yes he is smart. Another girl for the question she wants to ask me said she wants to know what my "wifi" looks like (i'm guessing she means wife), and it seems they are all big fans of NBA Youngboy, whoever that is lol

This year is kind of an adjustment for me because last year I had 4 classes of my own, then i co-taught one class and had "senior seminar" for the other which was mostly BS and I didn't have to teach very long in that class. Now this year I have 6 classes and they're all bigger than my 4 from last year. My voice has been shot and I've been exhausted at the end of the days so far in the first week.

My class sizes are awful this year. At least I have a co-teacher for some of them but...two CP level (i know everywhere does it differently but our class levels go AP-Honors-CP) classes that are 27 and 28 respectively, one of which has 13 special ed kids in it. THe other one has 8 or 9 I think. Even with a co-teacher, that's insane and not helpful to anyone. Then one of my honors level classes has 30. 30 9th graders...ugh.

7. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah...teaching sucks lol year 11 here we go

David87 likes this.
  8. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I forgot to add to my post taht I'm getting 12 weeks of paid parental leave starting the first school day in February so, very very happy about that lol. ESPECIALLY love taking it that time of year, that stretch between christmas break and spring break is goddamn brutal. Between MLK Day and mid terms in January, at least January is broken up a little bit. But once February starts and all you have is Presidents Day, my god what a stretch. Need them snow days then.

9. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

I love teaching it's the greatest job in the world. I've taught at three schools, I'm somewhere where there's both support and freedom to teach my style.

Jusscali, you need to find a way to renew your passion for it, or go do the job you'd rather do.

10. dorfmac

Trusted

I had no idea there was a teachers thread! I’ve always taught high school history, but made the jump to the dark side this school year - administration. Plz don’t hate me.

11. Jusscali

Nah man. Great health insurance, longevity pay, retirement is looking banging, and anything other than murder or burning the building down keeps me in my spot. We also get to flex out early or late twice a week during peeps. My boss kicks ass too lol (it hasn’t always been the case).

12. Jusscali

You ain’t in the union anymore...not allowed in the thread lol

dorfmac, Grapevine_Twine and David87 like this.
  13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

dorfmac and Grapevine_Twine like this.
  14. Jusscali

Death to climbers. Damn the man!

dorfmac likes this.
  15. Philll

Trusted

In two weeks time I start studying a degree in education to start my 4 year journey to becoming a teacher. Very very excited.

16. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

gets easier every year for me. fourth year teaching U.S. Literature and I'm loving it.

17. Congrats! I’m halfway through my program. Can’t wait.

Philll likes this.
  18. dorfmac

Trusted

independent school, so never had a union anyway :(

thisssss was what i was waiting for, though ;)

19. dorfmac

Trusted

the good news is now i have a captive audience to use as a sounding board when student issues come up!

20. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Any of you guys have good music playlists to play in class that aren't corny?

I play a lot of instrumental beats, lo-fi, jazz, reggae, synthwave stuff that's pretty cool but it'd be neat to be able to find songs that are modern/aren't corny to play in class once in awhile.

Here's my current playlist, feel free to use.

21. dorfmac

Trusted

I don't have any playlists to offer, but I will usually play lullaby music of pop/current songs during tests. Whether it's Sparrow Sleeps, Rockabye Baby!, or something else, it's nice background music and you see the smirk on the kids face when they realize they recognize the song that's playing. Taylor is my go to...

22. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Eh, 8th to 10th graders aren't going to appreciate Taylor Swift lullabies so much, lol.

I was thinking just more like current stuff that isn't inappropriate. NF I like a lot, and I think Post Malone has some new songs that aren't bad content/language wise. All the students love Sunflower, of course it's from the Spiderverse movie. But I'm thinking in line like that, or creative stuff like Tash Sultana.

Unfortunately emo-punk isn't a popular sound with them, although they're into some Fall Out Boy/Panic.

23. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Has anyone here done the edtpa? Teaching full time and doing this is going to break me

24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I have to next semester. Heard nothing but bad things

25. I have to for my grad program / license