Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teachers/Educators Thread • Page 8

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Metzler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

When you're a teacher, you are an entertainer, a lesson planner, a grader, a social worker, a disciplinarian, a parent, always to blame when something goes wrong and unnoticed when things go right. If that sounds good, go for it. And underpaid.

I love being a teacher, but it's exhausting too.

2. Philll

Trusted

Coming very close to applying to do a Primary Education degree...

Those of you in the thread with families/young children of your own, how do you find the work/life balance? *very Scott Aukerman voice*

3. My program is blended between onsite and online and I am only taking 1 class right now haha

4. Philll

Trusted

I just realised I was very unclear, I was aiming that question more at those working as teachers already!

popdisaster00 likes this.
  5. oh, got it

6. Philll

Trusted

Sorry, not meaning to poo-poo your response to me! Similarly the course I'm looking at is very light when it comes to attending classes and whatnot, so the next three years wouldn't be an issue with family. And conveniently both my kids will have started school by the time I actually get in the classroom myself so that probably works itself out quite nicely.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  7. That’s basically my goal as well. My son will be in 1st grade and my daughter will be about 3 when I start (hopefully) teaching full time

Philll likes this.
  8. jmitch0906

Quorn

Definitely something I have had to learn since I started teaching. My rule of thumb is to leave work at work 95% of the time. So I try to get grading, lesson planning, copies, etc. all done during my conference period or before or after school. I work at a Title 1 school where the majority of kids on free/reduced lunch.

When I first started working here it was very difficult to leave work at work, whether it be the grading, or just taking home some of the stress/frustration from work. It has been something I've had to conscientiously work on and I'm lucky to have a s/o that understands and has been patient with. Over time I have learned that while you should be passionate as a teacher, you must have your "me" time as well.

Not the best at summarizing but can definitely try to answer some questions if you have any

Philll and popdisaster00 like this.
  9. Philll

Trusted

Really helpful, thanks. It is all the marking/planning time that I'm most apprehensive about, I don't want it completely taking over my life. I guess it's all about developing ways to manage it all.

10. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

When I taught I legit couldn't imagine coming home to kids like I was DONE. But all of my coworkers assured me that your own kids are better lol. I think as long as u don't take everything home it's ok. You will get overwhelmed and overworked because the workload will be impossible and it may cross your mind, but imo it's best to set those boundaries early cause if u show you'll work for free people will push and push more and then you'll resent taking time from your own family.

It sucks cause I'm of the mind that employers need to see the workload is impossible but there's always another person desperate to work who will do it for free sooooo it's fine like I'm not bitter or anything! !!!!

jmitch0906 likes this.
  11. jmitch0906

Quorn

Absolutely. As Kiana said below, one thing I was victim of and see new teachers be a victim of is being over excited or overly passionate about the job. I don't mean that you shouldn't be passionate about the job because you absolutely must but I have seen administration take advantage of new teachers that will over extend themselves, whether it be covering for absent teachers, taking on bigger class sizes, etc.

Throughout high school and college and early jobs I found it relatively easy to manage stress, whether it be by finding hobbies, meditation, reading, etc. but when I first started teaching it was very difficult to manage the stress. I loved the job and was so happy to be teaching and thought that constantly fretting over my students and workload was just part of it. But I was very close to being burnt out. And through a little help from therapy and a few close people around me, I've learned to manage work vs home life much more efficiently. It is definitely a struggle because as a teacher you must take a lot of responsibility on yourself to make your classroom better, you will very rarely get constant help or handouts from admins or other teachers.

12. JimmyIymmiJ Nov 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 29, 2018)
    JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I taught at a high poverty school for a lot of years, and it definitely took its toll on me. There are very rewarding moments, but it is also very difficult to find balance because it just weighs on you emotionally. It is possible to to find some balance, but it takes time and being able to departmentalize your life.

I switched schools last year, mainly because middle school hours weren’t conducive to my family time with two kids now (I went to a K-8 which had earlier hours), but also because I was a bit burnt out after a decade+ in that environment. It has been much easier to find balance at my new school because I don’t have the same emotional baggage coming home. I don’t feel like I’m making as big of a difference in the lives of my students now because most of them have support at home, but I also feel like I am a better husband, father, and man in general. I almost feel selfish saying that, but it’s definitely true.

jmitch0906 and Philll like this.
  13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Me looking at going back to work tomorrow and looking at the long long calendar of school days between winter break and spring break with only two days off:

[​IMG]

Bartek T. likes this.
  14. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Meh, just hit "reply" on my post to see the gif lol

15. Kiana

Random question but is it common for schools to not operate on Friday or do half days on Friday? It's common here but I'm curious if that's standard or regional? My specific school growing up never did that, tho now they do late starts on Monday so teachers can have a meeting every week.

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

My grade school used to get out at 2 instead of 3 on Fridays but other than that, no not really. Some charters in the area have half days every Wednesday for PD

17. JimmyIymmiJ

We release an hour early on Mondays.

18. Kiana

I miss snow days so much. Every time we have one I miss being a teacher lol. I thought I got a voicemail this morning about my work closing cause snow but it was just a stupid scammer trying to get my SSN smh

19. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

Honestly, give me the longer break in June.

20. JimmyIymmiJ

No snow days in Florida but we had hurricane days last year. That was interesting.

21. I think there have been 7 snow days in Minneapolis this year

22. Kiana

We have had 7 or 8 snow days so far this year. I used to love them. I'd still have to work but it'd be a chill prep day and then they'd extend the school year and I'd get paid further into the summer. Now they are useless to me

23. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Beware...the replies are dark and full of terrors...

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  24. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

That's hilarious.

25. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I love you George