Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teachers/Educators Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Metzler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Im sorry that's a super frustrating feeling, espesh when it feels like the ones who want to be there kinda get the short end of the stick. How many adults are in the room? I always thought the benefit was smaller ratios so more one on one time but I also admittedly don't know a super lot about it.

Mine are 3-5 yr old at risk kids. There are 20 kids and 2 adults and it's just not enough support for the level of trauma some of them have been thru and the attn they require. It usually ends up with one adult trying to help a kid or two who is behaving very aggressively while also trying to help transition to the next part of the schedule, while the other adult is trying to keep the other remaining kids on track amidst the chaos and it's defeating. The way our class schedules are set up doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room so there's that pressure to get things under control quickly to move on instead of really dedicating that time working out conflicts and it's tough.

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Please don't make me learn how to use a gun

3. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

Anybody here in a teaching program that has to do edTPA? I'm two months away from my degree and I'm so tired of all this menial work

Grapevine_Twine likes this.
  4. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Yep but I’m waiting until next year to do it. I’ve heard it’s a pain in the ass.

5. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

Yeah it's rough. It's not even difficult, it's just a lot to fill out, and it's $300 that I shouldn't have to spend. If you're in an elementary education program, let me know when you start it and I can try to help. Otherwise, good luck to you haha

6. After about 10 years of *thinking* about becoming a teacher and 5 years of *strongly considering it*, I am finally going to start applying to some master's programs for this fall. Wish me luck.

7. Night Channels

Trusted

Good luck, dude. Elementary or Secondary Ed?

After this season at ULL, I think I'm going to start applying for some head coaching jobs around the country. I really miss teaching and coaching high school students.

8. Okay, glad you asked because I am going back in forth between K-5 or 6-12 Social Studies. I have to say that I am leaning towards K-5 because I think I prefer the age group and the ability to teach more than one subject.

How did everyone in this thread decide on their license?

9. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

I originally wanted to do high school history, but took a few courses and found them painfully boring. I took a fieldwork class with students with autism and fell in love, have a masters in elementary and special ed, and I’m (slowly) applying to jobs for autism/ABA classrooms. Good luck to all those applying to jobs!

popdisaster00 and Night Channels like this.
  10. Night Channels

Trusted

Are you male or female? The two district that I worked for in South Carolina had a serious lack of male elementary teachers. That's probably a very similar problem in most districts.

I know two elementary teachers very well:

A close friend and mentor that I coached with was a high school PE teacher for about 15 years before switching to elementary and he absolutely loves it.

My girlfriend teaches K-5 at a Spanish immersion school here and she has never been happier.

I knew I wanted to teach and coach during the summer before my sophomore at Clemson. I was undecided and actually went for Construction Management, but after volunteering as a coach, I knew it was my calling.

After switching some classes around and changing my major to Secondary Education, I didn't look back.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  11. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I never even considered elementary; I chose to teach high school because of the impact a few of my high school teachers had on me and it made me want to do the same.

I have one more instructional day left in my first year. Hard to believe I made it through -- damn it was rough

12. Male. Currently 29 so I'd be 30 or 31 by the time I start student teaching. Not sure if that's relevant, but oh well.

I've had the same thoughts in regards to having an impressionable high school teacher - I actually had a few - and that having an impact on my decision.

I think having kids and becoming a father is the driving force to making me consider elementary. I think I would love to teach 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade.

I also have really fond memories of my 1st grade teacher and if I saw him on the street tomorrow, we'd stop and chat and catch up. I think teachers can make an impact at any age, right!?

13. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I teach middle school. When I went into teaching it was the only age I WASN’T interested in teaching. Most of the available jobs at the one were MS, so I took it thinking I’d get my foot in the door, do it for a year or two, and then move to a different level. It really grew on me, so here I am 12 years in. If you can get past the obvious issues of dealing with kids that age, it is a really rewarding age. There’s still a certain degree of them being kids, but you also get to start on that path to higher level issues and discussion. It’s a challenging age, but very rewarding if you can do it.

14. Kiana

I am not a teacher anymore and I miss my kids a ton but I still get to occasionally hang out with kids where I work now so that's cool. By the end I was so broken down and burnt out from total lack of support that I had to leave lest I become that awful bitter teacher who hates life but won't move on lol.

15. As part of the requirements for my upcoming graduate program, I am picking up some field experience opportunities. This week I am volunteering as a teacher's assistant in a first grade (summer school) classroom. I am absolutely loving it! A year ago I thought I would only want to teach high school but over the last few months I've totally switched to elementary and this is making me feel like I'm making the right choice.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  16. Dog with a Blog

I have to spend 30 hours as a reading assistant at an elementary school for one of my upcoming classes. Pretty excited for that. Can’t wait to be done with school

17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

There are definitely challenges to elementary school, like being responsible for teaching all the subjects and the kids not always being self sufficient depending on age and etc...but the love and gratitude they give you is just so awesome.

18. Teaching a little of everything instead of a lot one one thing is why I started to lean more towards elementary

19. Kiana

I miss teeeeaching

Or rather I miss my kiiiiiids

20. I start my grad program next week!

21. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Running out of time....nooooooo

Grapevine_Twine likes this.
  22. bloodinthesand

Regular

I was a teacher for 10 years and I am currently the Principal of an alternative school

23. bloodinthesand

Regular

This X 1000

24. Night Channels

Trusted

I’ve decided to go back to the high school level after this season at ULL.

I’m just burnt out doing this and the relationships aren’t the same. I feel like I’m letting a lot of kids down doing this instead.

Recruiting and giving scholarships is just different than being there every day.

25. Philll

Trusted

Really considering whether I should train as a mainstream school teacher. Currently teaching guitar for a private business but it's just not bringing in enough money currently. Trouble is I never got a degree and I don't know if I have the time or money to study for a degree and then go through teacher training.