Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teachers/Educators Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Metzler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Yeah, I'm hoping I'll be able to find somewhere where I can be relatively satisfied with the environment. I'm usually pretty decent with dealing with people, so i'm not super worried about dealing with parents. Students a bit more, haha, but I figure I'll get it at some point.
    Interesting. I do like kids, so that's not just it, but why do you say that?

Collin Skeen likes this.
  2. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

It depends on your district and your principal. It depends on the town you teach and the demographics.

Right now teaching is an absolutely horrible profession in the state of New Jersey. Out of 60 teachers at my school, I can't name one that is happy with the current direction.

Curriculum is given out and impossible to keep pace. Kids are taking 80-100 tests a year plus state testing. Teachers are being graded upon said tests. Administrators keep checklists of requirements for teachers to keep up with most have nothing to do with actual teaching but require 2-3 hours a week of maintenance just to keep Administrators from writing you up. Teachers are literally responsible for students that do not show up, that cut class, that fight in class, that touch themselves in class. It's the teachers fault. Even on the SGO, which again is what determines your score. There is very little concern for children's well being verse legal issues, politics and money. Morale is beneath the floor. I hear similar stories across the board. That kind of just scratches the surface. You may or may not be able to teach in the style you want, or the way they teach. Generally, just master the style they want when you get observed and do what's best for the kids otherwise.

Teaching today is more than a subject matter depending where you teach. You are a role model, a parent, a social worker, a friend, a shoulder to cry on, maybe the only single person that cares about the child in the entire world. That's a heavy responsibility and it's more vital than explaining Marxism on most days.

Saying that, I am one of the most highly rated teachers at my school. I love children. I love teaching. I also f*cking hate it because I care so much and all I see is disaster. I just want to teach/help children. That's it. If that makes any sense. I'm kind of trapped due to loans and how I got my teaching license but if there's a way out I'll try to take it. Maybe teach internationally. At the same time, I feel I was born to be a teacher. It is a shame what the lawyers, politicians and detached supervisors have done. It's important for people to know before they get into it. Feel free to ask me questions privately that I probably can't be too specific on publicly. It does vary, but this is a common experience.

3. Leftandleaving

I'm definitely not planning on staying in New Jersey. I've heard a lot of what you've just told me from my own teachers - disillusionment across the board. The reason why I want to get into it is, like you said, because I want to help kids. I know how much my favorite teachers have done for me, and I want to be able to provide that to other kids.

4. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

It's painful for me to say but yes that's smart to avoid NJ. We're starting to see teaching shortages, everyone knows what I said it's not secret so hopefully the pendulum swings back around. The certification itself is pretty transferable from what I understand.

If your hearts in the right place, you ask kids about their days, you design fun lessons, you like being an entertainer, don't mind having to be a discipline/parent sometimes, start each day fresh with each kid even the pain in the a** kid, smile and shake his hand everyday. It can be the greatest feeling in the world to make educational and social connections. Sounds like you're going to be great from what you said!

5. Leftandleaving

From what I've heard talking to my counselors, it's pretty easy to transfer a certification state to state.

That's what I hope, haha.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  6. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

I have yet to talk to my dean, but I'm praying my certification is transferable, NJ is as terrible of a state to live in as it is to teach in. Just reading about everybody's experiences is already making me feel better about the anxiety and questions I have about grad school and beyond, so thanks everyone!

Collin Skeen and Zac Djamoos like this.
  7. Neo Cassady

Summer taunts the weak. Prestigious

I've been teaching middle school math for the better part of a decade now. It's the most wonderful and the most stressful job, and I've been going through an internal struggle as to how much longer I want to remain in the classroom before moving on to working in education in a different capacity. But right now I'm trying not to think about that, or about how this weekend marks the end of spring break and Monday begins the final ascent to peak insanity.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  8. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I have two semesters left of my Elementary Ed degree.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I have to take ece classes for my job. Originally they said I had to get all the classes done in a year so I'm packing them all in. My boss said they might make it so I can do it in 2-3 years. Which is cool but I wish I could know sooner cause my schedule is packed rn. But it would mean that I don't have to take summer classes!

Collin Skeen likes this.
  10. Collin Skeen

Regular

Tons of love to all y'all. You're doing THE WORK, out there fighting in the trenches! I have so much respect for every single one of you (especially those of you fighting the fight in high schools and elementary schools -- you're so important)!

I've been teaching college English for the past few years and, while it started off a little rough, it's quickly become the most fulfilling thing I've ever done. Sure there are shitty days but at the end of the day I know that everyone's just dealing with their own shit and it's my job to break through it and remind them that the future can be full of hope. I look at all the amazing teachers (and even the not so amazing ones) I've had in my life and I'm so thankful. As a result, I work so hard every day to try to get on the same level as my students. Growing up is tough and I know that having teachers who treated me like an actual human being overflowing with limitless potential is what turned me into who I am today. Doesn't hurt that I get to teach cool documentaries like American Juggalo and Dancing Outlaw/Wild&Wonderful Whites of West Virginia! :eh:

MY QUESTION TO YOU: what have been your best teaching moments?

11. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

I teach first-year composition at my local university as a sessional, but I have a full-time job during the day, and this semester is probably my last course. If you plan on going to grad school or becoming any form of teacher, make sure you take every opportunity to get classroom experience. It's the only way to know whether you're suited to the job. Your passion will be tested and stretched no matter how much you think you love teaching.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  12. Collin Skeen

Regular

If you don't mind me asking, what's keeping you from doing it after this semester?

13. Trent Gill

trentgill.ca Prestigious

The short answer is that it takes a lot of time and energy. The long answer is that if I don't plan on returning to grad school for a PhD, then being a tenured professor is essentially impossible, so it just doesn't fit with my long term plans. I don't know what I plan on doing with my life, but I know what I'm not doing, so grinding away for extra income seems Sisyphean.

How did you end up teaching college? I assume your situation is much different if it's your career.

14. Andrew

andrewlterry

The greatest challenge in teaching is not the content, it's with the kids. Also, no matter how much you try, they will never appreciate the content the same way you do. However, if the kids like/respect you, they will be more likely to enjoy the content.

Neo Cassady and Zac Djamoos like this.
  15. Leftandleaving

The kids are the most important part imo, and as long as I can get them to want to come to class, I think that I can get most of them to enjoy it. Not that I can (I have no idea), but I know my favorite teachers can get the laziest, least attentive kids to look forward to learning about the Silk Road, and I'm hopeful

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  16. Collin Skeen

Regular

I'm not on too different of a path myself! I finished my MA in English a few years ago at Kentucky and got my first two years of teaching under my belt there. I know exactly how you feel -- after I finished up I nearly broke down. My quarter-life crisis started and I questioned that the hell I was doing with my life. Messy, messy stuff (my girlfriend is a saint, she had so much patience for me). Did I want to go on for a PhD? Kind of. I really liked teaching even though it was hard and it felt like my great teaching moments were few and far between (my ratemyprof page made me feel a little better -- I got a chili pepper!) so I ended up getting a teaching job at the local community college last minute before the start of last semester. And man...that experience changed me. It really solidified something I knew but never really internalized: even though you're a teacher, the kids have so much to teach YOU too. That's why the Greeks saw teaching as a dialogue, right? These past two semesters have been eye opening. life changing, and affirming for me. I just found out I got into the JET Program so I'm probably going to teach in Japan this coming August.

Academic Darwinism is a scary thing (but I get why it happens). What is a PhD other than a piece of paper? The idea of a "terminal" degree is a total illusion. You're never a master at anything; you keep learning. With what I HAVE learned (through listening to everyone I come into contact with, not just my teachers), I might go back and get my PhD but now but it's just one of many things I want to do instead of a life raft I was desperately clinging to. Nothing's impossible and I know that sounds corny, but I really TRULY, 100% believe that nothing is impossible as long as you follow your heart and go with the flow. I believe in you dude.

Sisyphean efforts depend on your perspective, right? What looks futile to people may not look the same to Thanatos. B-)

You can totally do it dude! You've just gotta be willing to meet half way. Find a bridge between what you want to talk about and what they want and you've got it made.

I quote a legendary poet here: "he whispers like a bridge; it's a river spanned" :speakno:

17. Leftandleaving

I appreciate it. Figure that's just what I gotta do. Talk about what I want to talk about, but in a way that'll get them to care.

Collin Skeen likes this.
  18. eepots

Newbie Supporter

11th and 12th grade English here.

Richter915 and Collin Skeen like this.
  19. Collin Skeen

Regular

No problem man! I think you're totally right -- passion is contagious. I'm gonna be teaching a few Pinegrove songs this week so I've got a feeling it'll stick. ;)

how's that? one of my most influential teachers ever taught me pretty much from 9th-12th (all except for my 10th grade year) and she's the reason I'm teaching now. what works have really resonated with your students?

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  20. finnyscott

I'm from New York. No, not the city.

I've taught two years of university level Spanish back in the States and I'm currently living in Madrid "teaching" English in a private high school just outside the city. After a few years of this my plan is to go back and teach again at some university; I have my master's in Spanish Linguistics and I've debated getting my doctorate but I mostly just want to be in a classroom helping kids learn Spanish. That shit gets me so excited haha

YoSoyCaitlin and Collin Skeen like this.
  21. Collin Skeen

Regular

I love hearing this! I'll be doing the same in Japan starting this summer so if you've got any advice about making the transition, I'd love to hear the wisdom B-)

22. Leftandleaving

That's awesome! What songs? Be sure to let the thread know how that goes! I wish my teachers listened to Pinegrove, haha.

23. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Jealous! I've been trying to teach myself spanish using free apps and books and stuff for years but life gets in the way. I was really nailing it for a while but I haven't had time to lately. Jealous of ur life

24. eepots

Newbie Supporter

What are you doing with those Pinegrove songs? I love using music in my lessons. Right now, I am contemplating using January 10th, 2014 by TWIABP for a brief discussion about allusions.

I love working with the older student population. My juniors love The Crucible and The Great Gatsby. For my seniors, they enjoyed the hell out of Hamlet this year. Additionally, quite a few of them had strong reactions to Death of a Salesman. We're about to start Catcher in the Rye which usually resonates with quite a few.

What texts do you use for your classes?

25. Mr. Dennis

On the Free from PSG

In the home stretch of my 8th year in High School Career and Tech Ed. Licence is in Business and Marketing. Currently teach more design oriented courses that fall under business.

My courses this year are Multimedia and Webpage Design. We start with principles and elements of design then go into graphics using Photoshop and illustrator, then audio/video, animation in flash, and webpage design.

My other course was new to me, Film Production. It is all abut editing in Premier Pro and eventually getting the adobe certified associate certification.

Like many have said the best thing is shutting the door and teaching the students. The administrative stuff is crazy stupid.