Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teachers/Educators Thread • Page 17

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Metzler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Out of curiosity, what kind of reactions did you have to it? Was it both doses, or just the second dose that cause it?

My sister had her second dose at the end of January and she was down for the count for a day or two with fever, headache and pain around the shot area. First dose didn't effect her much, I don't think.

I've also heard that people who have had COVID experience more reactions/symptoms to the shot...not sure if that is true or not.

2. dorfmac

Trusted

Our faculty all had access to the vax three weeks ago in Maryland. Many received their second dose yesterday, me and others were supposed to be today but they were cancelled and pushed back to next Thursday due to snow. We’ve been in person since September so definitely ready to get round two.

3. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

I haven’t had COVID, so I can’t speak to that. The first dose I had some arm soreness, but was otherwise fine. The second dose, I could barely get out of bed and had a headache for the whole next day, along with barely being able to move my arm I got the shot in. I got the shot on Wednesday and was fine by Friday afternoon (with Advil).

4. Was just offered my first post student teaching job. 2nd Grade long call sub, distance learning, for 5 weeks. Excited but nervous AF

5. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

where do you teach? feel free to PM if you'd rather. I'm just pretty sure you're in the Philly area so I'm curious.

congrats! subbing is difficult, but it's definitely a good way to build rapport at a school.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine on Sunday as the county in which I work is trying its best to get the teachers vaccinated ASAP. it was a super easy process and well organized. my district had a virtual asynchronous day on Monday for everyone to recover, but then I needed to take Tuesday as a sick day. I felt fine for 24 hours and then it felt like I got hit by a truck. so sore and achey and just exhausted.

6. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

Did anyone get their teaching certificate during a Masters program, rather than undergrad? I’m giving my bachelors another go but for English or Communications. The entire program is online so getting a teaching certificate right now isn’t possible.

I plan on attempting to do TEFL teaching before going back for a Masters, so I can make sure this is what I want to do long term. If anyone has any experiences teaching abroad I’d love to hear about it.

7. me!

8. 8 year gap for me between getting my bachelors and getting my license (technically I will get it around June)

9. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I did my masters and teaching certificate at the same time.

10. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

My school is getting rid of the bachelors program (I’ll be one of the last graduates) and going entirely to a Masters. Which... idk about that. Everything I’ve heard about it so far seems messy, to say the least.

11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Just got probably my best compliment as a teacher yet....my best AP Gov student left me a card with a note saying she's planning on going to med school after college and my class inspired her to look into careers within medicine that involve policy. health care policy is like the thing that got me into politics in the first place and I've been obsessed with it, so knowing I may have inspired a kid to get involved in that area has me all like:
    [​IMG]

Bartek T., ncarrab, fowruok and 4 others like this.
  12. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

i have gotten my first teaching job rejection B-)

13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

ooooh yeah. It’s all coming together haha.

I shoulda counted how many jobs I applied to before I finally got my first. I can think of I think 6 interviews off the top of my head that were unsuccessful

Leftandleaving likes this.
  14. Leftandleaving

got another tomorrow!

David87 likes this.
  15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

also LOVING this ad choice lmao @Jason Tate

A43F828D-6F4B-44C0-AEBA-7B9EFBF93BDC.jpeg

I think I was actually on their website yesterday seeing if they sold lingerie so maybe that’s why but still LMAO.

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

good luck! A lot of times the toughest part is just the sheer number of people that apply for jobs. What grade level/subject you going for?

Leftandleaving likes this.
  17. Leftandleaving

that what everyones telling me. english, secondary. cant afford to be choosy about the grade haha

Grapevine_Twine likes this.
  18. Knee deep in applying / interviewing right now. I’ve got a 2nd round interview for a 1st grade position tomorrow. No offers yet. But the school I student taught at just opened a position so I’m gonna try and grab that.

19. ImAMetaphor

Passed my certification test today :-) now all I have left is student teaching in the fall

20. Woo! Someone in my program has taken the math portion of the test 5 times and not passed yet.

21. ImAMetaphor

Very thankful I didn’t have anything like that. The certification tests here only cover content from your major.

HOWEVER. It’s a 100 question multiple-choice test to prove that I hold both pedagogical competency and English content knowledge. As far as I’m concerned, that sentence should be an oxymoron.

22. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

We have to the the Praxis Exam here. Praxis 1 which is basically the SAT (reading/writing/math), and then there’s Praxis 2 tests for each subject

23. We have 3 content exams and then a pedagogy exam

24. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

Ugh, Praxis. Don't remind me.

David87 likes this.
  25. ImAMetaphor

Holy moly, I guess I kind of lucked out. We just have the MTTC, which kind of rolls content and pedagogical knowledge into one. It’s an awful way of assessing competency, but it is pretty efficient.

I also (unless they’ve been keeping it a weird deep dark secret from me) don’t have to do EdTPA as my school has its own portfolio system related to InTASC standards and CTPs.