Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teachers/Educators Thread • Page 11

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Metzler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

We’re probably gonna send our son to a Montessori pre-school near by here when he’s of age. We’re gonna try getting him into a (different, cheaper) Montessori daycare when he goes into daycare next September.

i was an elementary Ed major and absolutely loved the Montessori style. Got to do one of my early field placements in a Montessori kindergarten class at a private school and loved it

Matt Metzler likes this.
  2. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

What took me the longest to learn is that you have four walls and the students inside it. That should be your first, second, third, fourth priority.

Next, you smile, make administration happy, submit paperwork asap. You smile and wave at your co-workers. When a negative word is uttered about any administrator or other staff member, you excuse yourself out of there. Let all your happiness and stress come from the classroom and mute everything else. Whatever system you enter will be fucked up, but you can make it work for you sans some kind of abusive environment (which does exist.) And seek out a mentor that's genuinely liked. People who love teaching love helping new teachers.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  3. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Alright, whose got good tele-teaching websites/apps to use?

Im already home on parental leave, but I need to do a sample one for my sub....I was planning on just doing a screencastify over my PowerPoints for the “lecture” portion and posting the assignments to do as if they would have done them in class. We use schoology so that’s where I’d post the stuff

4. dorfmac

Trusted

Have you considered making the video and then using EdPuzzle to inject some questions to check for understanding? I plan to do a lot of that.

Or go easy on yourself and find a relevant crash course instead

5. Philll

Trusted

Yeah a lot of my uni lecturers are just using PowerPoint and recording audio over the slides. Don't know if it's the most elegant solution but it does the job.

6. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I teach 8th Grade English, so everything I say is coming from that perspective, but I’ve used the concept of a digital classroom for several years now, so here are some (mostly free) resources I use:

If you don’t already have a site to use as a hub for information, obviously Google Classroom is an easy, free option. I’ve used it (and Edsby in my previous district) as a place to hold digital discussions by running it like a forum before (post questions that all students must respond to, and then require students to respond to a set number of peer responses as well). Obviously if you’re going the Google route, don’t forget Docs and Slides as well.

Some other sites I’ve used previously that would translate easily:

-CommonLit is a great, free site with thousands of texts (literary and informational) as well as units, themes, book connections, etc. Every text can incorporate text marking, text annotations, guided reading questions, assessment questions, and discussion questions. The units include multiple writing assessments as well. If I find myself having to provide online lessons this site will probably be my go to.

-Nearpod would also work for PowerPoints. Office Mix would have been perfect for this, but Microsoft discontinued it. Using Nearpod effectively during this time would probably require the paid subscription, but you could conduct live lessons using the free software as well.

-Some other free sites that could work for various activities to mix things up would also be Padlet, Quizlet, NoRedInk, and Vocabulary.com.

7. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

You do this directly in powerpoint, right? and then you can just post the PowerPoints with the audio over top of them?

Because unfortunatley screencastify only lets you do 5 minute videos boo

8. Philll

Trusted

I believe so, not actually tried it for myself. My lecturer puts the PowerPoint on our learning portal and each slide of the presentation has audio with it, so rather than an hour long recording it's just in chunks that the student can take at their own pace.

David87 likes this.
  9. dorfmac

Trusted

Voicethread does this exact thing and is simple enough to use if you can’t do it directly in ppt.

David87 likes this.
  10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

11. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

I have to call every parent everyday. (Special Education, 7 kids.) They all tell me their kids refuse to work. They all do their work in school. They want me to help parent their kid, and I can't do that. It's pretty sad. Not sure how this is going to go for these kids, they couldn't handle the lack of public school structure they certainly can't handle this.

12. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

First day of remote learning today. I imagine all of my students are still asleep

13. dorfmac

Trusted

We have meetings today, first day tomorrow. Good luck!

14. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This is a bad time to be student teaching

15. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

How is everyone doing with teaching online? Daily Google Classroom assignments for me, recording mini-lessons, office hours on Zoom.. but only about half of my students are turning in assignments so I'm having to call home and check in a lot. Many of my students have no access to internet and technology.

New York State also cancelled Spring Break, so that's bumming me out today.

16. Leftandleaving

we're just doing google classroom assignments posted all on Monday due on Friday

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  17. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Same here with posting on Monday and due Friday. We are having a daily “Question of the Day” as well, and one live session per class per week. But Google Classroom is our hub.

18. dorfmac

Trusted

we have a similar approach. each class meets twice during the week for zoom meetings (tues/thurs, weds/fri), with all assignments posted and grades updated on Mondays.

most of my time has been spent trying to find ways to engage the school in community activities. this week, we are doing an april fools prank-off contest. potentially opening up a huge can of worms, so we'll see how it goes!

19. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

I give packets out each week. I'd love to be more coordinated, work harder and check in with my students daily but it just doesn't work well with my student population. Half of my students are working hard, some of them are working but barely and two of them are doing absolutely nothing. I call parents almost daily but I think they're a bit tired of me at this point. We have to prove our use though for funding as a school and all that. I give some great online resources but I don't think they're used. I want to create a way to be more online/participatory but I feel like the risk there isn't worth the reward. I miss them though and I know they miss the classroom.

20. Been following a lot of peers in my graduate program who passed EdTPA this week. Must feel good getting that done. But I don't envy them in their job searches right now. I've heard that most hiring is basically on pause.

21. Leftandleaving

I’m submitting my EdTpa Monday. Not stoked. Awful semester to student teach

popdisaster00 likes this.
  22. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Forever thankful I graduated the semester before that mess got implemented. They tried to pilot it for our class of student teachers but luckily we didn't have to do it.

I mean the shit we had to do for student teaching is similar, but still. It's just more extra work to give to a field that's already got a ton of extra work and low pay.

23. Leftandleaving

It sucks. I thought my friends were just fucking with me but no it’s awful

popdisaster00 likes this.
  24. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

Congrats! I submitted mine 2 weeks ago. It was one of the worst things I’ve ever done

Leftandleaving and popdisaster00 like this.
  25. Leftandleaving

No kidding haha. Hope you passed!

26. Leftandleaving

the edtpa submitter has logged on

David87 and Grapevine_Twine like this.