Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Teachers/Educators Thread • Page 10

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Metzler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

What is that

2. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

It’s a standardized assessment for teachers or teachers in training. It’s a terrible and useless assignment that is supposed to measure your teaching ability, but it doesn’t do that at all and it’s incredibly convoluted and tedious. I did the elementary one for my grad program and it’s a nightmare. I can send people my completed one if they want an idea of what it should look like!

Leftandleaving likes this.
  3. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Sounds gross. I haven’t heard about it here (I have about 2 years to go until I get my bachelors and teaching certificate) but we’ll see.

4. I’d love to see!

5. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

I've been using passedtpa.com, which is helpful. The pressure to not fail is tremendous though. I'm starting to film tomorrow, and I found out today half my class is on a field trip. :teethsmile::teethsmile:

6. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

Cool! Shoot me your email and I’ll send it over. Anybody else who wants it as well, just give me your email and I can send it. It’s an obnoxiously large document, maybe like 70 something pages overall, including the pictures.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  7. popdisaster00 Dec 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 1, 2020)
    Making unit plans for grad school is super duper fun!

[​IMG]

Grapevine_Twine and David87 like this.
  8. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

We got two full weeks off for Christmas and I told myself I’d get this grading done and through week 1 of break I’ve graded exactly nothing

Grapevine_Twine and Jusscali like this.
  9. I start student teaching in January 2021 so I’m thinking of getting into the subbing system this year to be a little more prepared

dorfmac likes this.
  10. dorfmac

Trusted

Whatever you do, just know that real teaching is 100x better than student teaching.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  11. Haha I bet.

12. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I start student teaching in like 2 weeks. Trying not to think about it

13. [​IMG]

14. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Y’all should dig holes. Lotsa of holes need to be dug and I hear it’s a more rewarding profession

David87 and Grapevine_Twine like this.
  15. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

First day back from break tomorrow. Got no work done and have no idea what lessons to do. This job is fun!!!

Jusscali and dorfmac like this.
  16. Jusscali

Don’t even know what cycle we are on lol I’m either starting OFAM or Mitosis fml

17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

Leftandleaving likes this.
  18. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

I mean, those of you starting out, you all should be pumped up and excited. Been teaching for 11 years, love it. The first 2-3 are tough as shit though.

David87 likes this.
  19. Jusscali

Yeah years 1-3 are a shit show for sure.

David87 likes this.
  20. Fully expecting to regret choices in my first 3 years. I am committing to doing at least 5 years minimum, even if that means trying different schools/districts.

David87 likes this.
  21. Jusscali

I would even recommend trying to give it a solid duration in one district...as the pressures of learning a new building would only compound that general learning curve.

David87 likes this.
  22. Grapevine_Twine

It's a Chunky! Supporter

In my 3rd year now: it gets better as you go, but administration will drag you down if you let it. The entire English department at my school is getting harassed, observed twice a week, and given absurd expectations which makes an already hard job almost impossible.

Leaving this school after this year, hopefully. But administration can make or break a teaching career. Without an oppressive regime, the job would be much more rewarding and manageable.

I still love my job and would rather be too stressed doing this and helping kids than rotting in a lifeless office

23. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Student teaching in the worst year, followed by year 1 and then year 2 and so on.

I’m in year 3 and it’s hard as shit just because of the sheer amount of work like grading and such for 150 kids. But still like it.

24. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

In some ways it can feel like a cop-out, because public schools are vital and having good teachers in public schools is one of the most important things ever... but if any of y’all are finding yourselves too stressed to function or enjoy the work in that setting, I really do strongly suggesting looking at private schools. Particularly Montessori schools, just because that’s where my experience is. And of course not all of them are healthy and functional organizations, but the ones I’ve been lucky enough to work at so far in my career have offered teachers a lot of autonomy and almost always involve more than one teacher in every classroom at all times so you don’t have to carry the whole thing on your own. At the end of the day, if you’re getting burned out and thinking about changing careers, you’ve gotta take care of yourself and find a way to do the work you want to do in a setting that doesn’t flatten you.

Also, this suggestion probably only really applies to elementary ed people, but there are occasionally some Montessori middle schools and high schools out there, too.

25. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Ugh it's my dream to teach at a Montessori preschool

Matt Metzler likes this.