Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift Sells a Lot of Vinyl

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Billboard:

Swift loomed so large on vinyl in 2022, nearly one of every 25 vinyl LPs sold last year in the U.S. was a Swift album (1.695 million of 43.46 million total vinyl albums sold by all artists).

Swift’s latest release, Midnights, was the top-selling vinyl album of 2022 in the U.S., with 945,000 copies sold across all of its vinyl variants and editions. The album has the largest yearly sales total for a vinyl album since Luminate began tracking sales in 1991.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Anyone got those Adele '30' numbers? LOL

artbynickferran likes this.
  3. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Outside of this site I don't know anyone who buys vinyl records. Nobody talks about it.

josh.hofer likes this.
  4. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Damn - nearly a million in vinyl alone. That's insanity.

5. ARo24

Regular

I wonder how many people bought all four covers to complete the clock. Money grab but kinda genius.

Yourbiggestflan likes this.
  6. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Well when you release 4 variants this is bound to happen. Her fans are nuts and will buy anything/everything! I did buy one copy though, as it's a great album.

No doubt this year will be when she releases the 3AM version as a 2 or 3 LP Deluxe edition, which I will also buy. Wonder how many variants of that there will be?

7. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

These numbers are incredible. For the industry at large, and for Taylor.

I have plenty of IRL and internet friends with collections and we talk about records on a weekly basis. It's also a constant topic of conversation between my father and I. I don't live in a huge city, but a local punk dive bar hosts a monthly vinyl-only DJ night. A large local event center hosts quarterly record shows with over a hundred vendors and it's always packed.

I hate to be that guy, but if you can't find anyone to talk to about records, then you're not trying hard enough. I'm happy to send you some links to communities where I've met people, if you're interested in making some friends.

8. sowrongitsryan

Regular

It’s pretty popular with teenagers tbh

9. theredline

Trusted Supporter

There’s a few artists I’ll grab all/multiple variants for. But for some reason the Taylor clock variant thing wasn’t my bag. I love Taylor and I always grab a vinyl copy of her latest but this seemed a little over the top!

10. BradBradley

Regular

Barnes & Noble employees.

11. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

They're still in business?

12. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Yup, the one here in my town just remodeled their whole entertainment section. They legit have fucking baskets to flip through the records now like they're trying their hardest to be a record store. I hated it and left after about a minute of flipping.

BradBradley and Brent like this.
  13. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Virtually everybody I know irl who collects vinyl has a small, modest collection of huge artists and token indie ones so I’m curious to meet somebody outside of the scene with a larger one.

14. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Lol. I’ve worked in different industries and have always come across a few people that collect.

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. 333 GANG

ACAB

My brother bought all 4 for his wife strictly to be used as wall art lol

Brent likes this.
  16. Yourbiggestflan

Regular

Brent likes this.
  17. sblackburn

Regular