Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift Outsold Every Other Album on the Billboard 200 Combined

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brittany Hodak, writing at Forbes:

Reputation sold north 1.2 million units in its first measured week. The other 199 albums on the Billboard 200 combined sold only 723,000 units when streaming consumption and song sales are excluded (only four tracks from reputation are available on streaming services). That means for every 10 albums sold last week, more than six of them were Reputation.

When streaming and digital track sales are included, Reputation still accounts for more than a third of all music consumption in the United States last week.

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

That's amazing. I can't wait for this thing to get up on streaming.

3. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Is this the most impressive musical sales achievement of all time? Because it sure seems impressive.

skogsraet likes this.
  4. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

LOL that's epic. She got a big reputation.

5. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Is it fair to say Taylor Swift is the biggest artist in music? Based on this I think so.

I think delaying putting the album on streaming services was also a good move.

youwontknow likes this.
  6. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I don't think that's even a question. I don't know any other artist besides Adele who can sell like this.

MrAirplane likes this.
  7. ARo24

Regular

That’s unreal. She has ultimate bragging rights forever now.

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Too bad the album is a dud (imo)

josh.hofer and Jonathan like this.
  9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

11. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

Album is pretty solid. Good for her

12. Analog Drummer

Regular

Yeah I can’t tell you how much I hate it. Can’t put it into words. I’m prob stuck in the past but I like 2009-2014 taylor.
    What do I know though look at those sales

13. Sander

kflkmflkm

Good for her but this can't be good for the music industry at large.

14. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

It's almost like the gap between the 1% and everyone else is growing wider...

15. That is insane. I try to explain to friends how big Taylor is and they kind of laugh me off but those numbers are undeniable.

16. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Wow

17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Where is that guy who claimed he didn’t know any Taylor Swift fans in real life so there was no way she’d sell this many records?

18. :crylaugh:

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

He'll be back when Run the Jewels sell 1.2 million copies in a week.

20. jeff.dart

Regular

Pretty stellar marketing I guess.

21. Lucas27

Trusted

And I remember my older brother being super into country music and psyched about this new artist who was only 16. It's so weird thinking about Taylor Swift before she was a household name.