Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift on Sexism, Scrutiny, and Standing Up for Herself

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Abby Aguirre, writing for Vogue:

I ask her, why get louder about LGBTQ rights now? “Rights are being stripped from basically everyone who isn’t a straight white cisgender male,” she says. “I didn’t realize until recently that I could advocate for a community that I’m not a part of. It’s hard to know how to do that without being so fearful of making a mistake that you just freeze. Because my mistakes are very loud. When I make a mistake, it echoes through the canyons of the world. It’s clickbait, and it’s a part of my life story, and it’s a part of my career arc.”

2. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I hate that song, harder than I've hated any song by an 'ally' since "Same Love".

What disheartens me is seeing other LGBT+ folks lap this bullshit up. This is corporate pandering 101, the musical equivalent of a rainbow mouthwash bottle sold during Pride Month.

Seriously, support queer art made by queer artists. Ignore this garbage.

3. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Todd in the Shadows had a similar assessment.

somethingwitty likes this.
  4. stephenvstrex

grace upon grace

gonna be honest, i don’t really care for that taylor is dropping another record. her new article in vogue was so pretentious and an obnoxious noisy gong in the collective echo chamber.

5. skoopy

Regular

Really? I found it to be a fantastically honest look into stardom and social issues from an individual I would surmise to have legitimate insight into those topics. But by all means please take the time to let us all know that you don't care. That final sentence was an excellent example of saying nothing under the pretense of saying something.

heymattrick and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm glad she feels comfortable speaking out now. There's always that risk that a mistake will be loud and part of her career arc, but her silence was becoming louder and I'm glad she made that decision because I'm sure it helped a lot of her fans in the lgbtq community. People will always find something to dislike and criticize so may as well go down supporting what u believe in

And if anything Cats will be the mistake echoing in the canyons anyway. The world doesn't need that dark sided musical!!

heymattrick likes this.
  7. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

While you can have cynicism for her not using her mammoth platform earlier to stand up for those most vulnerable among us, pushing allies away for not being first to the pile is fucking garbage. It's 2019. Let's take all the allies we can get, however we get them. We're going to need them for the rest of our lives.

8. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

Yikes, imagine being so upset and defensive about someone trying to be an ally. With all the hate and discrimination out there, I don't understand getting huffed up about this. I'll gladly take living in a world with corporate rainbow season & convenience allies over the one where I get beat up in the street for being a homo.

Anyway, I love "IDGAF" Taylor.

9. MacbethSin

Regular

Yep. Her silence in 2016 still doesn't sit right with me, but this is a 10000000% better late than never situation.

10. K0ta Aug 9, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 9, 2019)
    K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I will take support where I can get it, however I can't help but feel upset at what seems to be obvious queer-baiting, if only because I doubt Taylor doesn't know better as to what she is doing. She gets unfairly criticized about a lot of things, but stuff like this is just like I Kissed a Girl from Katy Perry - the difference is we are years on from IKAG and queers don't have to be as thirsty as we were even 10 years ago - WE HAVE OPTIONS FAM.

That being said, I'm not here to drag Taylor but if you want to listen to and support queer (female/non-binary in particular) artists I have a growing list. Hayley Kiyoko is the pop star queer women deserve and her music videos are 100% that real gay shit. King Princess, The Japanese House, Stand Atlantic, Janelle Monáe, Halsey, MUNA, Against Me!, PVRIS, St Vincent, Julien Baker, Kehlani, Tove Lo, Christine and the Queens, Marika Hackman (ty @thesoftskeleton for this rec), plus the obvious (Tegan & Sara). Open to suggestions please!!

EDIT: Classics - Indigo Girls, Ani DiFranco, Melissa Etheridge

11. Dust Of Fallen Rome Aug 9, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 9, 2019)
    Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

That's a lot of words for "but I like licking the boot!"

I don't give a fuck if they aren't 'first to the pile'. I give a fuck when some basic cis/het uses LGBT+ folks as props in their tacky ass video to make money off Pride. Way off the mark, champ.

Best response here. Thank you, you do the Lord's work.

EDIT: I'm gonna add some artists for anyone who likes heavier music - +HIRS+, SeeYouSpaceCowboy, .gif from god, Amygdala, Ragana, Vile Creature and Worst Witch are a few that spring to mind.

K0ta likes this.
  12. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

This is a ridiculous statement.

Purity tactics like this are why the Dems can’t message for shit, and I’m as left as most people. Take the support of her and the people she’s amplifying it for and build on it. She’s creating new allies, even if not everyone sticks with it. It’s a net gain for a social movement, even if it’s an icky feeling for you to acknowledge it’s a corporate move.

In America today, beggars can’t be choosers. If you’re willing to cast aside people willing to support those disaffected because they don’t measure up to your benchmark, you may as well give 45 and Pence another 12 years to turn this into Gillead. I doubt it will take that long.

Spenny, dumpweed41 and heymattrick like this.
  13. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Cool man, thanks for telling me how I should feel. You've right, I should be greatful these people even acknowledge my existence, and I shouldn't make anyone feel bad for soing the bare minimum badly.

Fuck you. Don't ever fucking tell a queer person how they should feel or react to things. I'll make whatever benchmark I want because that's my goddamn right, and if allies feel likes its too much then fuck them, they were never worth it in the first place. 26 years of struggling with the pressure of a queerphobic world has made me realise that I have no obligation to coddle or protect the feelings of trash people.

Also, I'm not American. Your dumbfuck president and his fuckhead vice president are going to turn the US into Gilead? Aw, so sad. They're going to turn the rest of the world into a desolate wasteland, so forgive me if I don't exactly shed a tear.

14. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

But it’s okay for YOU to tell US how we’re supposed to feel? Nobody’s forcing you to like the situation, or the song, or the artist in question... but your responses in this thread aren’t any better. This is something we all struggle with and we choose how we get to react based on our experiences, but your reaction was definitely heavy handed. There’s so many other things to be outraged about and Taylor Swift writing a song supporting the gays and companies having Rainbow Fever does not need to be one of them.

Anyone who wants to support my cause, my fight, my struggle, is a welcome ally to me.