Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift - Lover (August 23, 2019) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Garrett, Apr 25, 2019.

1. a lack of color

Regular

This is crazy to me, because to me this song sounds just as much as a Panic song as it does a Taylor Swift song if not more

Contender, macbethfan, shea and 2 others like this.
  2. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

Its obviously not for kids cause most of the people in this thread are digging it.

FTank likes this.
  3. shea Apr 25, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 25, 2019)
    shea

RIP Supporter

I mean did anyone see All Too Well coming when WANEGBT was the first thing we heard from Red? Maybe give her a second..

4. This is gonna be me. Kinda like the last album. Which I didn’t love but gets way too much shit.

5. Very much has a late Panic vibe in spots and he’s alllllll over it. Way more than a regular feature.

6. Huh, don’t really care for this song much after a couple of listens but I love the collab and am always gonna be excited for a Taylor record

7. heymattrick

Sending my love

Song had a lot of Delicate vibes for me. Even the way it starts. I really dig it, and it's so cool Brendon is on this

8. @@ron

Regular

Yeah i feel like this would have fit on Pray for the Wicked. I don't find this near as cringey as my first listens of Shake it Off and We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, which I liked quickly after, but I think I'll like this one more.

9. @@ron

Regular

Kind of mixed with the intro to King of the Clouds. It's so perfectly both of them.

heymattrick and Jason Tate like this.
  10. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I really don't want to start a big argument, I'm happy a lot of you like it. I just can't shake my overwhelming initial reaction of, "Wow, I never thought a song with Brendon Urie on it could feel so lifeless and corporate". Like I get that he's just the feature, but I genuinely consider him to be one of the most charismatic singers and all-around performers of our time, someone able to elevate nearly anything he's in through sheer enthusiasm and presence... and I think it's really a testament to how little I cared for this that I didn't feel that AT ALL here.

This actually nails my issue with it. It feels like a kids' movie song, but not a particularly inspired one. Like it's selling a G-rated approximation of what love is supposed to feel like... without any of the passion that you would actually have in a relationship with someone. Anyway, I'm sorry for being such a downer haha, I think I've settled on really not caring for this.

Barresi likes this.
  11. henryviolence

I brought up Pretty Odd the other day when I was talking to someone about the direction I thought she’d go in for this new album so when I saw Brendan’s name - I was very stoked. This track has that sort of vibe I guess but it doesn’t work for ME. That’s all I’m saying. I’m happy most of you are feeling it. I’m taking a poll in 6 months to see if any of you still like it after all hype for new Taylor is gone.

beachdude likes this.
  12. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I'm not a fan but I'm still looking forward to the album

13. I'm not a TSwift fan so I don't think this song strays far from what I'd expect from her brand of pop music. I don't, however, think it falls in line with even the most contemporary tracks on Brendon's records.

"Me!" has a much more shallow and uninspired lyric sheet with a totally average set of melodies. "High Hopes," which some in this thread have deemed more poppy than P!ATDs norm, at least has some personality to set it apart from the rest.

Lyricism aside, a lot of what makes a pop song good is in the delivery. I think that's why Brendon shines so brightly here while Taylor looks and sounds like she's tired of playing at the level she's reached. It's like she's phoning it in because she doesn't have anything left to say.

Brent and beachdude like this.
  14. .......... the takes are :fire: tonight

Joe4th, Drew Beringer, FTank and 4 others like this.
  15. beachdude

Full disclosure: I don't like Justin Timberlake's "Can't Stop the Feeling" either (and I consider myself a huge JT fan) so it may really be just me haha. I really find the whole "Target commercial" vibe that someone mentioned to be off-putting when I hear it in a pop song. I understand why a lot of people like it, obviously the mass appeal is there.

Brent likes this.

16. Greenwald alt confirmed.

Brent likes this.
  17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Omg I love love love love this. The grin on my face when Brendon came in. It feels like it continues on from the “This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things” style, which is to say it sounds like Taylor making fun. style pop songs. Brendon was a perfect choice for this cus it’s right up that theatrical alley. I’m floored.

Those horns omg

18. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Why isn't this front page news right now!?

19. beachdude

There were like three other people who mentioned the Trolls/commercial jingle vibe before I did, so I guess we're all alts :eh:

20. Someone brought up the Open Happiness jingle in my mentions, which I forgot it existed.

beachdude likes this.
  21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Have the people who dislike the song ever listened to Pray For The Wicked? Totally same vibes.

22. beachdude

Couldn't disagree more. I hear so much more dynamics and passion in PFTW. I wish this sounded like a song off of it, I'd be totally behind that.

23. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Isn't that kinda the whole point of the snake transforming into the butterfly and the more fantastical elements of the video? It feels to me like Taylor is intentionally not trying to give an accurate depiction of love and relationships, but instead shed the cynicism of her previous couple of albums and just project positive thoughts.

We'll have to see how it fits into the rest of the album. If the entire album is like this I think it'll probably be too much. But I think it works well as a follow up to Reputation.

24. beachdude

I'm still glad they got Brendon for this and not Ed Sheeran or [insert male pop vocalist here]. I do think he's able to give a bit more spark to his performance than a lot of other singers would just by sheer force of talent (even if I don't think it changes much)... plus I'm still happy for him.

25. beachdude

I suppose. I just think the positivity she's trying to get across feels overly... scripted somehow? It doesn't come across totally genuine to me. I'll admit I don't really listen to her a ton and mostly got excited due to Brendon... 1989 had a lot of good songs, Reputation wasn't my thing at all. If this album is good for me it'll be better than Reputation.