Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift - Lover (August 23, 2019) Album • Page 27

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Garrett, Apr 25, 2019.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Ahh geocities. I wish I could find my Halloween resurrection pan (I was 13) but it’s lost to the Internet.

Kiana likes this.
  2. a lack of color

Regular

That was her first headlining tour. She did other tours/shows before that

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jun 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

yeah looked at list of tours on Wikipedia not list of live performances
    also was her first real tour opening for Tim McGraw, wow
    Taylor Swift Joins Tim McGraw, Faith Hill on Tour

I'm going deep on this with Setlist Fm

also first headlining tour being arenas is still remarkable

a lack of color likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

can we get her to write songs about climate change, Flint and universal healthcare, worth a shot

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Taylor could afford to cover the cost of Flint if the estimated cost to fix it is accurate. Which makes it an even shittier situation.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

beachdude, ECV and Zilla like this.
  7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Zilla and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  8. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

trevorshmevor and Jason Tate like this.
  10. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

sonder likes this.
  11. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Lots of familiar faces in this

12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Like the video a lot and like the song more now too.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Her facial expressions are always so great.

14. such a fun music video!

15. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Supes fun video

16. dorfmac

Trusted

She’s just the best.

17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

lol

Brent, Zilla and bradsonemanband like this.
  18. Lucas27

Trusted

There were 666 comments so I just wanted to come in and make it 667 to save this thread from the devil. You’re all welcome.

Brent and irthesteve like this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Brent likes this.
  20. "Much more troubling is the second pre-chorus, which attempts to reason with a shouting homophobe thusly: “Take several seats and try to restore the peace/Control your urges to scream about all the people you hate/‘Cause shade never made anybody less gay.” Well, I am here to tell you that shade has made a lotof people a lot less gay. The homophobia that is at the root of our culture ties young queers up in knots that take decades to untie. If “you will spend eternity in Hell for your sexual orientation,” or “God hates ***s,” or even “don’t behave that way, son, you’re embarrassing me,” are examples of shade, just like a well-timed zinger about a pair of pumps that doesn’t match a dress, shade has actually made a lot of people a lot less alive."
    Yes yes yes yes

Idk at the risk of raining on the parade I think this song and video are truly embarrassing in a genuinely harmful way. I don't like how this video posits the queer experience exclusively as all of these Very Fun Products By Very Happy People, and I really don't like the depiction of homophobia/queerphobia as exclusively these raggedy-looking southern Christians with messy hair and bad teeth. It sets up an ugly binary that ends up oppressing queer people. Poor queer people exist too, and making these cartoonish stereotypes about poor southerners the symbol of hatred against the queer community is misguided at best and outright classist at worst. Not to mention queerphobia can take the shape of someone who identifies as queer themselves--it was only earlier this year that Ellen, who cameos in the video, came out strongly in support of Kevin Hart as he skated through his non-apology tour for his homophobic remarks that lost him the Oscars gig.

I'm trying to make a concentrated effort to only comment on Taylor-related content during this rollout when absolutely necessary because the discourse is truly toxic, but this is not what allyship looks like to me and I wish Taylor would consider the definition of "us" and "them" before putting this "us vs. them" narrative out into the world.

gonz (Alex), Arry, Zilla and 6 others like this.
  21. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i've got a defense of "shade never made anyone less gay" but no one wants to hear it

genuinely think this is a fun song and video and having trouble reading genuine harm into either

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I think genuinely harmful is a little over the top but this does touch on a lot of reasons why I think the song and video feel so phony and like she’s basically taking up way too much space during pride month.

beachdude, ECV and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  23. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

As a straight white dude, I have no place having an opinion on Taylor and the LGBT community. There are a ton of people in the community, including in the video, who love everything about it. There's also plenty that do not. Both sides should be heard.

24. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

the video also reminded me of but i'm a cheerleader

25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I guess I feel like Taylor has been more of an ally in the past than people give her credit for. Like it’s not like she’s never mentioned it before and just out of nowhere is now.