Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift - Lover (August 23, 2019) Album • Page 144

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Garrett, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Oh yeah, I meant to include myself in those plans as well. I will definitely be joining in!

Garrett L. likes this.
  2. a lack of color

Regular

Loved the documentary and it was totally worth waking up at 6 am to watch!! My only complaint is that there was too much old footage - ie I didn't really want to watch any of Taylor's Grammys performances again when I could be seeing more unseen interviews and such but I understand that they had to include that stuff for context for the non-stans. And also I wish it was longer. And I'm going to watch it again after work with a giant ass glass of white wine with too much ice.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Only The Young is fucking great

4. irthesteve

haven't been able to watch the doc yet

5. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Gotta say I am not a fan of the song. Still excited for the doc.

6. @@ron

Regular

Yeah.. more kids yelling in the background. :/ I’m sad about how much I’m not into anything she’s done since Rep

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  7. Lover is way better than Reputation

8. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

What form of Taylor do you like best?

9. BoldTitan

Trusted

10. @@ron

Regular

Thats a good question. I have liked her since her debut and really felt drawn to each of her albums, usually with 2 or 3 on each album that didn’t resonate. My wife and I saw her on the 1989 and Reputation tours. I think I’ve always been mostly drawn to her lyrics, which to me shine the most on Speak Now and Red. The maturity she showed on 1989 and Reputation were welcome to me as we are the same age and it felt appropriate to our age group growing up and figuring out adulthood. I felt like Lover would be on the nose for me since she’s now in a committed loving relationship and there’s nothing she writes about better than that. However, each time I listen to Lover it just feels so empty of meaning. It’s like what an album about love should sound like rather than what it actually is. The more tender, poignant songs on Reputation to me already accomplished what was intended on Lover. Anyway, just my opinion. I keep seeing people refer to Lover as a return to Taylor’s Red style.. but it gets nowhere close to that for me.

Now to actually answer your question I generally prefer her softer side: All Too Well, I Almost Do, Treacherous, etc. But these new ones just don’t do it for me, mostly lyrically. Still not quite sure why.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

reputation is hardly a low bar!!!!

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm like almost embarrassed to admit but if reputation isn't my favorite per se, it's probably the one I've listened to the most. Also partly because it's the only album cycle I've seen her on so I listened to it more leading up to the show.

But like I love every song on it for sure.

Petit nain des Îles and @@ron like this.
  13. @@ron

Regular

It’s the only one I listen to front to back

14. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i would claim it's her most consistent record

i like lover more still

@@ron likes this.
  15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Finally hitting play! Longest day of waiting.

AP_Punk likes this.
  16. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I’m on vacation in Minneapolis right now abt to get dinner with my fiancé’s family and then we are doing face masks and getting drunk with his cousins and watching this. I’m gonna be on some next level conspiracy galaxy brain.

SmithBerryCrunch, Aregala and Joe4th like this.
  17. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Exceptional. I adore her.

18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Don’t care much for the new track

19. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Great documentary but it was super awkward with my step dad hovering for the last 20 minutes when he’s a shit head conservative

20. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Only made it half way but that proposal was hilarious.

21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

She's savvy as fuck though. Knew it wasn't up to the standard of the album so she left it off. But also knew the lyrics were important for her to put out and that they'd land better in context. Quality move.

22. surprised people like this so much! i thought it was just fine.

23. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Scroll past this if you don't wanna read a lengthy review of Miss Americana but I need somewhere to put my many thoughts lol

Never really been a fan of Taylor and there have been times when I've been confused and annoyed by the choices she's made with her platform, but I put on Miss Americana because I'm a sucker for any music-adjacent documentary. I fully expected this to be a very paint by the numbers documentary about her career, and in a lot of ways it is, but as someone who hasn't followed her closely at all and really only been familiar with the big singles and the many media stories written about her, this gave me a perspective I feel like only avid fans have seen before -- her perspective, really. In terms of her personality, I really only knew she liked cats and that was it. I never connected with her music in a way that would have me diving deeper into her catalogue, and that's probably why I missed out on Taylor as told by Taylor. There have been quite a few music docs I've watched where I ended up liking the subject a lot less than I did going in (Gaga's Five Foot Two comes to mind) and I expected to like Taylor about the same by the end of this one (that is, just a medium amount). Even though sonically I've never been into her music, I've always thought she's a stellar songwriter, but the fact that she was silent about her white supremacist following, seemed intent on self-victimization years after the '09 VMAs, and seemed to use queer people as props for YNTCD, all rubbed me the wrong way. Those are choices I still don't agree with, but now I feel a lot more sympathetic to why she made them. As a queer WOC, she still reads to me like someone who's only begun to understand her level of privilege, but she also seems like someone who's genuinely committed to doing the work necessary to see her own blind spots. I'm not gonna run out and buy Lover and I don't think her music will ever really be my thing, but I finally feel like I understand the appeal she has to her fanbase and I certainly like her more than a medium amount now.

24. irthesteve

Just watched Miss Americana, felt like I was gonna cry the entire time, she's truly amazing

25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I still need to watch it. I think I might do that right now, even though I should be sleeping.