Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift - Lover (August 23, 2019) Album • Page 122

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Garrett, Apr 25, 2019.

ECV and irthesteve like this.
  2. @@ron

Regular

There has been something really off-putting to me about her during this new era.. I can’t quite articulate what it is. I’ve been a ride or die since ‘Tim McGraw’, but I found myself rolling my eyes all throughout that article. Almost to the point where I have to assume that her next single is The Man due to how many times she mentioned gender inequality. I could be wrong but I think I question that she has any other intention than leaving Easter eggs and marketing herself. It doesn’t feel real anymore.. just a meta mess. It also doesn’t help that I still don’t like the album. You’re not alone Kiana..

Positive thought to end on. Something about her RS cover photo gave me a Lucille Ball vibe and that’s pretty awesome.

3. My favorite part of the whole album is still that screamy part at the end of the bridge in "Cruel Summer." That's pretty much all that's stuck with me though. I haven't listened to this in over a week.

Matt Chylak, Kiana and @@ron like this.
  4. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

while i was researching my red review i learned/remembered that the primary reaction to "we are never ever getting back together" was "wow all taylor swift does is write mean songs about her exes, what an asshole"

so yeah, i think she's been the subject of more scrutiny than any other artist i can think of in my lifetime, and most of that interview rings true to me. (regardless i agree with kiana about the materialist bent of "the man," a song i enjoy but wish were less narrow and "why can't i be an asshole too???" in its message)

5. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i also think beyond the joel little songs this is easily one of her most emotionally open and vulnerable records, it feels extremely real to me

Kiana likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

And as I've said before literally every pop punk singer does the same thing

unbornwhiskey likes this.
  7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Most singers of all genres sing about their exes and past relationships

8. not only that, but songwriters have always found inspiration in personal emotional experiences, good or bad. i never understood why people specifically criticized her for it when it's literally being done by every musician today and in the past. they just wanted to target her specifically which is obviously fucked up.

9. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Pretty fucked up of Taylor Swift to use major and minor keys in her music

10. [​IMG]

cshadows2887 and Fucking Dustin like this.
  11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

fuck, I never realized this. I don't know how to feel right now, wow

12. Kiana Sep 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 19, 2019)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I would see her live even if she just played that one song so I could scream along to that part

In regards to the songs about exes thing, I think most of the criticism was silly. I do think Taylor was a unique situation where many artists will sing about an ex, but Taylor came out the gate naming names. I think that worked to her benefit because it felt more personal and ppl related to the diary feel, but then the other end of that is it made her love life up for discussion. She continued that trend for a long time, including album note hints. It never bothered me that she sung about her exes but it did annoy me when she would actively encourage speculation on her relationships and then pretend like it bothered her or she tried to act coy and like she's super private when she wasn't. And I tooootally get that she was young for a lot of this. I think any young person (and many older ppl) would love to name a loser ex in a song on a large platform. But I do think it makes her situation different than most artists who write about exes. I remember Hey There, Delilah getting a lot of speculation because she was named (tho that was even creepier because he never dated her and she had a bf). Idk. I think part of it is def misogyny and part of it was her marketing. I mean this was her promo during speak now. "...and I'm naming names."

And again she was young. But I think that is such a unique part to her marketing that not many other musicians have that I can think of.

13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

For Speak Now in particular, a nuance that people seem to forget is that there is a huge difference in teenage Taylor naming an adult man that treated her like shit (John Mayer) and some pop punk bro lambasting a girl that broke up with him for him being an asshole. Of all the legitimate criticisms to have of Taylor, it’s insane that the media has spent a decade focused on trying to tear her down for having the guts to name men that don’t treat her how she deserves to be treated.

sonder, iCarly Rae Jepsen and Mary V like this.
  14. Kiana

This dear John deserved the public discussion. I can't even lol. Taylor's is a masterpiece.

15. Kiana

Wow joke is on me cause that Jesse James song has been in my head all morning

RedDotRecording likes this.
  16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Some Lover Fest lineups went around this morning that I think were fake but I got fooled and thought East was really getting Lorde, Bleachers, and Maren Morris for a second there.

17. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

She sounds dead ringer for Dia Frampton there.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  18. cshadows2887

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. cshadows2887

And, in the pop realm, as responsible as any one LP for the concept of the album as we know it (I know, I know Dust Bowl Ballads, but that was really a pile of 78s sold together).

bradsonemanband likes this.
  20. Kiana

Listened to this album in my car and my sister was like ashamed that she enjoyed it like stop being a loser and give in!!!

21. This went platinum.

Zilla, Anna Acosta, ECV and 9 others like this.
  22. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Good and well deserved

bluecharliedeltaecho likes this.
  23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I ask the traffic lights if it’ll be alright they say
    I
    Don’t
    Know

24. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Unless it becomes something GRAND on the tour this song is underrated.