Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift - Lover (August 23, 2019) Album • Page 116

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Garrett, Apr 25, 2019.

1. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Flop

shea and irthesteve like this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Wait Nicki has 103 hot 100s?!?!?

4. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

A huge chunk of those are features but yeah

5. irthesteve

Garrett L. likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

And no number 1s because of Taylor, Anaconda was #2 to Shake It Off

7. irthesteve

London Boy was a bizarre choice for BBC other than the whole British thing, and it somehow comes off worse here than on the album.....

BUT it is extremely rewarding and worth it to see how goddamn happy she is while singing the song

8. Spenny

Regular

Rankings are tough stuff, but my thoughts as of now, ranked in three tiers.

Excellent tier:
    Afterglow
    Lover
    Cruel Summer
    Death By A Thousand Cuts
    Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince
    Paper Rings
    Cornelia Street

Really good tier:
    The Man
    False God
    You Need To Calm Down
    I Think He Knows
    Daylight
    It's Nice To Have A Friend
    The Archer
    Soon You'll Get Better

Underwhelming filler tier:
    I Forgot That You Existed
    London Boy
    Me!

9. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I wouldn't put London Boy towards the top of my ranking, but I have it stuck in my head all the time.

All.
    The.
    Time.

So props for writing a catchy song that it seems I'll never get rid of.

10. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

This will be unpopular

Afterglow
    Paper Rings
    Cruel Summer

Daylight
    False God
    ME!
    I Think He Knows
    Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince
    I Forgot That You Existed
    The Man

Death by a Thousand Cuts
    London Boy
    You Need to Calm Down
    Lover

Cornelia St.
    The Archer
    It’s Nice to Have a Friend
    Soon You’ll Get Better

11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yep this is real bad!

FTank and Brother Beck like this.
  12. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I swear I'm not trying to be contrarian when I say I'm kinda the opposite.

I love the music and find it insanely catchy, while the kinda petty nature of the lyrics isn't my favorite thing. I also don't think the lyrics are bad or embarrassing, like some people do. Just a little less exceptional than the bulk of the record.

StreetSpirit likes this.
  13. irthesteve

welp, you do you!!! I'm just really not into the exact same beat the entirety of the song

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's scary how often this has happened to her

15. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

16. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Tbh I don’t hate Me! At all. I kinda like it. Well there is a qualifier for me. I only like the parts with Brendon.

17. I love "I Forgot That You Existed" because I see literally everything through my big annoying PTSD lens and from that standpoint that track is outright revolutionary

(I am not saying Taylor has PTSD, I'm saying that track slaps when you're listening to it from the standpoint of "the day when I realized I'd gone an entire 24 hours without thinking about this heavily traumatic thing was one of the best days of my life since said trauma occurred so HELL YEAH I FORGOT U EXISTED PUNK")

Also "I Think He Knows" makes me want to find a 16th avenue to skip down and I think "London Boy" is what the English deserve after all that imperialism don't @ me on this

Serh, TylerDrumming, Spenny and 7 others like this.
  18. Craig Manning

I also think "I Forgot That You Existed" is catchy/fun. And I like that it's so sparse and open. I felt like Reputation's production was a little bit overbearing and didn't give some of those songs enough room to breathe. My first listen to this, I knew this album would be more my speed just by hearing the sonic execution of "Existed."

bodkins and Brother Beck like this.
  19. Craig Manning

Also, I really don't think there is a better opener to this record than that song. Some of you have proposed some truly bizarre openers for your resequenced tracklists.

20. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Exactly this. That little percolating vocal-ish hook that bubbles under is given so much space to just be effervescent and catchy. "I forgot that you existed :listening to awesome little non-try-hard hook: I thought that it would kill me but it didn't :there is is again; I like this". Between this and "It's Nice to Have a Friend", she's finally given restraint a shot.

macbethfan likes this.
  21. Craig Manning

I love that little background vocal hook. So simple, but so infectious. I think the ways she holds back on this album are a lot of the moments I appreciate the most. Not taking "The Archer" to full tilt; letting "Soon You'll Get Better" stay really small and vulnerable; being super patient about the build on "Daylight."

macbethfan likes this.
  22. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Omg you all and your ranking and tiers!!

I agree that the simplicity on this album is nice. I think that's some of what is relating to me a lot. I relate to her big dramatic productions too ... But idk there is something so pleasant about the simple straightforward vulnerable songwriting. I could be totally off base like of course idk her, but it gives this album a very genuinely content and okay with herself feel that I haven't gotten from her past records. Like with reputation I enjoyed many aspects of it but never rly felt or bought the "Im over this! I swear I'm over this!! Channel the snake!!" Thing. But this album rings much more... Earnest? To me. Like I now actually believe she is content and happy lol Idk words are hard lol. Like the album is equivalent to a rly nice happy deep breath.

23. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Except "The Archer" would've been wayyyy better if she took it there. That whole song is built around the build.

disambigujason likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

I disagree. I think it would clash with the vulnerability of the lyrics. I don’t feel like that particular song needs a big catharsis.

Tim and cshadows2887 like this.