Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift - Lover (August 23, 2019) Album • Page 114

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Garrett, Apr 25, 2019.

1. shea

RIP Supporter

Sweet. That will definitely work

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Ohhhh my gosh this version of Holy Ground.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

How I imagine Taylor flipping through her song choices from Lover and deciding to do London Boy of all things
    [​IMG]

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

she was doing a session in London she had to Kayla

or she just wants to keep us guessing on how Daylight and It's Nice To Have A Friend will sound live

irthesteve likes this.
  5. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

She wasn’t even in London!!! It was recorded in NYC.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I just assumed all the BBC sessions were in England but I forgot Justin Bieber did his at his house haha

chhholly123 likes this.
  7. radiodead

Trusted

Yea that Holy Ground is stunning. It’s the all time greatest T Swift song too, no easy task.

bobby_runs likes this.
  8. irthesteve Sep 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 3, 2019)
    irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Taylor give me my stripped down tour!! And also what I've heard of the album so far fuels my belief that she should also give me my 90s alt riot grrl album with some of the cool lil shouts she does

10. irthesteve Sep 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 3, 2019)
    irthesteve

Looks like you can only do 5 videos per post, here's the last one

sonder likes this.
  11. irthesteve

Edited the video posts with the official BBC videos

12. Kiana

She should've just gone all in on London boy and been like 'ello gov'nah

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

She already faked a southern accent for 4 years or was it 6

Contender likes this.
  14. Kiana

She's clearly trying to come for my Queen's impeccable British accent work

15. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

It’s all just a... blur?

16. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Headcanon: Miss Americana is the older sister of the protagonist of Long Live and the stories take place simultaneously.

irthesteve likes this.
  17. irthesteve

OK, I have spent a lot of time with this album and am ready for my power rankings. I am sure the bottom half of my list has a lot that people will argue with, but I am pretty set with these three tiers. If I were creating the album, I would cut the bottom tier off into bonus tracks and keep it at a cool and collected 12 tracks. Thank you all, goodnight

Lover
    Death By A Thousand Cuts
    Cornelia Street
    False God
    Miss Americana And the Heartbreak Kid
    Paper Rings

The Archer
    It's Nice To Have A Friend
    Afterglow
    Cruel Summer
    You Need To Calm Down
    Daylight

Soon You'll Get Better
    The Man
    Me!
    I Forgot That You Existed
    I Think He Knows
    London Boy

disambigujason likes this.
  18. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

All TS albums should be 13 songs.

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"You Need to Calm Down" is just a fundamentally bad song, imo. Hearing her do it mostly acoustic on that live session really underlined how flawed I think the entire execution is. That in the middle tier and "Soon You'll Get Better" in the bottom tier makes me mad at you, @irthesteve.

20. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Honestly, this breakdown is fairly close to how the album shakes out for me, with the big exception being that I do not distinguish between Tier 1 and Tier 2. For me, there are 13 great songs here and 5 that range from pretty good to bad.

I do adamantly disagree with “Soon You’ll Get Better” being Tier 3, however, and I do not care for “You Need To Calm Down” much at all. That one would absolutely be a bonus track for me if I were breaking it down this way.

13 certainly seems to be the magic number of tracks for me with her albums.

irthesteve likes this.
  21. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Falling pretty hard for this album right now. I had only heard Taylor's singles previously and have always liked how fun they are but I feel like this album has quite a bit of depth beyond that. Are other albums of hers this good?

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  22. Kiana

So I finally got out of the addictive repeat cycle of cruel summer and lover to listen to the whole album and I have thoughts

I def think this is her most vulnerable album. It seems like she's done a lot of self reflection and I identified more with this album than past ones. A lot of her past songs are v "you wronged me and all I did was love you too much!!" Which is totally fine and I enjoy those songs, but I enjoyed how she went into her "flaws" and opened up in that way. Feels more vulnerable for me personally when she talks about her defenses and self sabotage.

I didn't enjoy the Man as much as I thought I would based off comments about it. It's fine like it's not love it's not hate it's just indifference but I like the message.

Speaking of message, YNTCD came on the radio when I was driving a 13 year old around and she insisted I blast the song and it did warm my heart. I live in a v conservative rural area so seeing kids getting to sing along to that message felt nice. I don't have much of a place in the lgbtq discussion, but it reminds me a lot of when I discovered feminism from pop music. Like Christina Aguilera introduced me to the concept and yeah she did sing about it in a fairly basic 101 way which wasn't super in depth or intersectional but it's what got my wheels turning and caused me to research more. I hope that's what this song does for her young fans.

Me is still a Choice. Even acknowledging that her lead singles typically suck it rly is a weak point on the album. I'd have loved if Cruel Summer had been a summer single. I get why she typically releases the lead singles she does, but part of me also wishes her lead singles displayed more growth. It's unfair ppl write her off for being immature or childish or whatever, but if I was only going off songs like shake it off and me idk I'd prob think the same. She has such strong songs that could work well as singles but they always seem to cater towards a different direction. Like her lead singles don't rly show her growth for me, even tho all her albums have great gems. It's a formula that's worked well for her so like I get it, but also I hate it lol

Between this and Lana's newest I'm def loving these female pop releases!

23. Kiana

Yes! I enjoy most all her albums but Red is her magnum opus imo and a lot of ppl enjoy 1989 as well, and both are fairly poppy if that's ur thing. I also love Speak Now and she wrote it all herself so it's super cool to listen to like where her headspace was at 19 or however old she was I'm too lazy to Google rn. Her early albums are great imo but sometimes the ppl who just enjoy newer pop Taylor aren't as into them but they're worth a try imo

Anna Acosta likes this.
  24. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think my bottom 6 would be the same but I’d swap most of tier 1 with 2:

Afterglow
    Cornelia Street
    You Need To Calm Down (this has become one of my favorite TS choruses)
    False God
    INTHAF
    Cruel Summer

Miss Americana (the stupid games line is silly but song’s catchy af)
    Paper Rings (I feel like I’ve heard this song 40 times before but it’s so catchy)
    Death By A Thousand Cuts (the piano in this is brilliant)
    Daylight
    Lover
    The Archer

IFTYE (song’s good but alas it’s 13th best)
    The Man
    SYGB (I get the emotions here but it just sounds boring to me)
    Me (I think the hate here is excessive but the me-he-HE wears on me & the bridge sucks)
    London Boy (really don’t care for the vocal melodies, big gap between Me and this)
    I Think He Knows

irthesteve likes this.
  25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

“i think he knows” is amazing y’all come on