Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift - folklore (July 24, 2020) Album • Page 143

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Jul 23, 2020.

1. same here

Garrett likes this.
  2. I'd just let silence run for 3 minutes and 14 seconds but that's me

awakeohsleeper and Tim like this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Rename it “Guilty.”

bradsonemanband, irthesteve and Tim like this.
  4. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I got my vinyl early last week, and I did nothing to earn it since my wife bought it as a bday gift. I feel so guilty.

5. when will my taylor swift vinyl return from war

smowashere, GrantCloud and Garrett like this.
  6. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Still nothing on my vinyl...

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

where oh where could it be

Smittzerland likes this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

9. irthesteve

look, I don't want to give ANY sort of false hope. But with album re-recordings, this interview, saying she has more surprises...... I dunnoooooo she loves hinting at things

10. TAYLOR SAID FUCK

astereo likes this.
  11. bring that shit on

irthesteve likes this.
  12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

My first Taylor album was 1984 and until folklore I’ve never loved a whole release... but I’d definitely check out these re-recorded re-releases.

13. I don't want to know what it says about me that this exchange has somehow planted that Bowling For Soup song "1985" in my head

14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

ohh who WHOOOO

15. shea

RIP Supporter

Somebody just sent me this

bradsonemanband likes this.
  16. Dog Fish

Mutt

Ok lawyers - how does the acquisition not include "publishing rights" or whatever? How is she "legally" able to rerecord the same songs and not be sued?

17. Dog Fish likes this.
  18. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

and bring back...

SPRINGSTEEN, MADONNA, WAY BEFORE NIRVANA
    There was
    U2, and BLONDIE, and MUSIC STILL ON MTV

irthesteve likes this.
  19. The article @bradsonemanband linked is great, and the short version is you cannot actually steal your own creations, she signed away the recordings but not the songs themselves, which she wrote

it's the same reason there were two completely legal guns n roses for awhile there (idk if this is still a thing, it's just an example)

Dog Fish and bradsonemanband like this.
  20. manoverboard365

Trusted

Yep there's a difference between master rights and publishing rights. The master rights are for the recordings themselves, and the publishing is for the underlying composition. Typically when you sign a recording contract, the label will control the rights to the master recordings, while the publishing rights are retained by the songwriters and administered by a publishing house.

It's like if I signed a deal with Universal Music and on my album I had a cover of Cardigan. Universal would own the master recording, but Taylor Swift and Aaron Dessner would have the publishing rights.

Dog Fish and bradsonemanband like this.
  21. irthesteve

So, that being said, what can the owners of her masters do with the music aside from selling the songs themselves? They can exploit the actual recorded tracks in any audio way they want, but they can't use the songs for commercials, right?

22. from what I remember, both the owner of the masters and the publisher have to issue licenses for that (master and sync, respectively)

school was a decade ago tho so take that with a grain of salt, my brain has both quarantine worms and cobwebs on it these days

irthesteve likes this.
  23. Dog Fish

Mutt

This all makes sense except for the cover example. Why would you cover cardigan and not mirrorball or epiphany?

manoverboard365 and irthesteve like this.