Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift – “The Archer”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

I can hear Jack's influence and that ain't a bad thing.

Matt Terry likes this.
  3. VCargo08

This is the best thing she's released since 1989. Thank God.

4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

was hoping it'd build up to something but a solid track. 3/3 so far.

5. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

My favorite so far. Giving me big Red vibes.

6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Out Of The Woods: The Sequel

7. skoopy

Regular

I am still of the opinion that tay is at her best when she is more subdued and this track certainly doesn't disprove that idea.

8. So no one else thinks it's super dull? Alrighty.

9. seanxwilliams

Scar crossed lovers, forever

I really like it. However the whole time I was waiting for it to sort of take off and it just... didn't?

That said, I'm really hoping for summer bangers on this record

Analog Drummer likes this.
  10. Sander

kflkmflkm

this is the best song she's released in years.

11. Tyler Mills

Bread makes you fat?! Supporter

very meh imo, but still excited for this album.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  12. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Could have easily been a Gone Now b-side.

13. somethingwitty

Trusted

Def sounds like a Bleachers b-side, and that's not a bad thing at all.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  14. heymattrick

Sending my love

I think that’s the whole point of the song. The motor is running but it never quite takes off, then ends very abruptly. It’s kind of like being stuck, waiting to go. But I imagine Track 6 that follows could be a banger.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  15. Kuri44

My favorite of the new songs released as well

16. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Incredibly boring. I'm not a huge Swift fan, but I can admit that most of her singles are incredibly infectious and get you wanting to sing along and move whether you want or not. This song had no impact on me whatsoever and is just a snoozefest. Maybe it works in the album context? As a 'single' choice, it's just very odd. It goes nowhere and is incredibly forgettable. However, one of my best friends who is a swifty diehard, absolutely loves it but any criticism whatsoever of anything Taylor does, is to him, just trolling. I'll have to get more context on what he likes about this whether it's the lyrics or melody or what. To me, it's all build up and no pay off and with nothing particularly interesting about the arrangement.

17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

18. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, that's why I put it in quotes. I guess I don't really know what makes a single a single these days? It's released on it's own, as a single song, so single? And while it's not officially a radio single according to Taylor, radio stations are playing it, some frequently, so single? Just because it doesn't have a music video means it's not? I'm actually curious what the official definition is.

19. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

So, you knew it wasn't a single, which presumably means you saw the rest of the quote where she explicitly states why she released it.

So when you said: "As a 'single' choice, it's just very odd" what you meant was: "It is odd that she chose to release a song that I don't like."

Helloelloallo likes this.
  20. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Yes. Semantics aside of what a single actually is, I think this is a very odd early release song because it's boring and does nothing to get me hyped about her upcoming album (which is what I thought early release songs were designed to do). Therefore, in my own and humble opinion, I find it an odd release, despite reading and knowing why she felt like this was a song to get out there early.

21. somethingwitty

Trusted

For those saying this is boring, maybe that’s what she needed? I wasn’t a fan of either of the first 2 tracks released, I thought they sounded like paint by numbers, generic pop singles that could’ve been sung by anyone.

This track actually feels different, and in turn let’s some emotion come through in the lyrics.

22. ZeoVGM

Regular

I mean, it's solid. But Reputation was great and I'll take almost anything on that over this.

23. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I fucking love this. cyndi lauper vibes almost. or just 80s ballad.

24. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I haven't liked a song so much on first listen in a long time

25. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Taylor swift is the equivelent of the white styrophome Christian's eat for communion. Glad Jack's influences shine through this one.