Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tame Impala - The Slow Rush (February 14, 2020) Album • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I only got into him a year ago, and Currents esp blew my mind.

beachdude, tdlyon and Spazzy McGee like this.
  2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Unfortunately the new one was my least favorite on first listen. Started really strong but fell off in the second half imo. Really excited to listen to all four of these albums 100 times though

3. congruence

Got a light?

my close friend showed me a song off Currents before he passed in 2018, I remember enjoying it but not really thinking it was my style of music. So i never listened to anything else until this album...having nothing to compare this to of his other music, this easily is one of the most powerful pieces of music I have heard. Totally not the type of music I would normally listen to but the soundscapes, the vocals, and particularly the lyrics are just hitting me in at the perfect time for where I am at in my journey of life and "learning to go with the flow" so the concepts he addresses on here are just instant "soundtrack" to my life type vibes and I am going to have to go to Gov Ball to see this performance now.

Cameron, beachdude, OotyPa and 2 others like this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Was it in here that i read negative comments about the lyrics? Honestly pretty shocked at that criticism. I always felt like Kevin is a great lyricist, at least in terms of hitting a perfect middle-ground between humanity/vulnerability and capturing the “larger-than-life” emotions/themes of the record.

5. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Lyrics have never been his strong point

6. cherrywaves

Trusted

They’re fine

beachdude and Aaron Mook like this.
  7. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

he's charming in how simplistic he is I think. no one's calling him a poet but he provides that slice-of-life/everyday man style of writing that can be really great (eg "Yes I'm Changing")

zachmacD, OotyPa and beachdude like this.
  8. congruence

Got a light?

As someone who has struggled with nostalgia obsession/going with the flow (Lost In Yesterday), has anxiety and needs a reassuring song (Breathe Deeper)... this really hits the mark for me lyrically. A lot of it clicked better after reading the lyrics and some annotations on Genius, the wording is to the point but that doesn’t make the meaning any less deep (Posthumous Forgiveness) is quite well written lyrically as well

zachmacD likes this.
  9. trevorshmevor Mar 2, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 2, 2020)
    I care 0% about Kevin’s lyrics but have gotta say, being named Trevor while The Less I Know The Better skyrocketed into popularity over the last few years was not super fun

10. zachmacD

Trusted

I’ve always liked how simple his lyrics are. The less I know the better is the only song they stuck out as being bad

11. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

“Come on Superman, say your stupid line” is a cool, non-stupid line

Rowan5215 and Aaron Mook like this.
  12. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

"52 weeks!" "7 days each!" "4 seasons!"

(I still lol every time at this, but in a good way).

RoKKeR, Spazzy McGee, Carrow and 4 others like this.
  13. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

agreed, that's a good one. the rest of the song is nonsense though

14. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Can’t say I’ve ever paid attention to his lyrics

15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I enjoy the lyrics on the new album. Nothing ground breaking, but they've spoken to a lot of things I've been thinking about and feeling lately re: growing up. Simple but effective, which is all his brand of music needs.

zachmacD and Aaron Mook like this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I love this part haha.

jpmalone4 likes this.
  17. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

The lyrics to The Less I Know The Better are laughably bad but the music more than makes up for it

zachmacD likes this.
  18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

19. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I always thought the lyrics on Lonerism and Innerspeaker were pretty hard to decipher. I feel like I know like 20% of the lyrics on Lonerism, but I could hum 99% of the melodies

20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Ever since I went through his discography Feels Like We Only Go Backwards hasn't left my head. It's weird, that was one of the songs by him I already knew lol, but I didn't realize how much I loved it

21. Breathe Deeper is turning out to be this album's sleeper hit (i.e. wasn't an official single but has REALLY done well on streaming, been played live already etc.), which we absolutely love to see because that song is a jam and a half.

22. sukottokairu

Regular

loooove Breathe Deeper, i noticed it was getting a lot of plays on Spotify, and so glad it was the second song for Jimmy Kimmel! such a good song, so dang catchy

zachmacD and macbethfan like this.
  23. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Check out Melody’s Echo Chamber’s self titled record if you haven’t already. Kevin worked on it and you can hear lots of tame impala on it. It’s like a tame impala dream pop record

tdlyon and OotyPa like this.
  24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The end of Breathe Deeper will be a meme/tik tok. Mark my words.

just like the end of Frank Ocean Nights.

25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Wow this sounds great. Will definitely give this a listen tomorrow

Owlex likes this.