Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Talking Heads Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Mar 31, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Take Me to the River should be subbed for something no? Not that it being a cover invalidates it being great, but idk. seems like a different metric of judgement for covers. maybe that's being pedantic

2. PauLo

43% Burnt

Listened to Remain In Light and Speaking In Tongues last night and they are extremely my shit.

3. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

chewbacca110 likes this.
  4. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

That book looks awesome. I've often dabbled with the band, but with Scott and Scott starting U Talkin' Talking Heads 2 My Talking Head is gonna assist me in finally doing a full discography run. '77 already has a smattering of band classics on it.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Assume you guys know the R U Talkin' podcast has pivoted to Talking Heads?
    First season was R U Talkin U2 2 Me? Then R U Talkin REM Re Me?
    Third season started as R U Talkin RHCP Re Me -- about the Chili Peppers -- but second ep moved to Talking Heads instead and the album 77 in particular. Future episodes will, I assume, talk about the rest of the discography in chronological order.
    I highly recommend the pod even though you are unlikely to learn much about the band. Hosts Scott Aukermann (Comedy Bang Bang/Mr Show) and Adam Scott (Parks and Rec/Stepbrothers) mainly talk nonsense for an hour or two then listen through the album in question. But it's hilarious and I'm sure there will be some Talking Heads information sprinkled in.

Edit -- pod already mentioned above sorry, but more details here for those interested

figureitout likes this.
  6. chewbacca110

Just watched Stop Making Sense on Prime. What a fucking cool show and badass performance. Their energy was so contagious. Tina is a downright machine!

jkauf, zmtr, kbeef2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. chewbacca110

The Scotts dropped episode 2 of U Talkin' Talking Heads 2 My Talking Head so I listened to More Songs... in full. Man, there are some terrific jams on there! I really dig I'm Not In Love, Stay Hungry, The Girls Want To Be With The Girls, Found A Job.

If you read reviews for their albums with Eno, they always stress the tightening of Tina and Chris' rhythm work and you can already tell on this album. It grooves so hard and Tina's basslines absolutely rule.

Slangster likes this.
  8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it’s a perfect album lol

9. chewbacca110

Fear of Music is such a party album in the first half then the second half is classic TH weirdness and more jam-y. The production is at an absolute 10!

phaynes12 likes this.
  10. chewbacca110

I honestly don't know which version of Psycho Killer is better: SMS or TNOTBITH

11. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

12. chewbacca110

13. chewbacca110

American Utopia is INCREDIBLE. I did drumline for 8 years so I know the time and skill it takes to choreograph while also playing the shit out of your instrument.

14. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Loving the Scotts' podcast so far, only just up to Stop Making Sense. I think this one might be way more informative than the U2 and REM ones, which is nice haha.

I keep thinking about how Modest Mouse followed such a similar trajectory -- some brilliant albums recorded in a more mid-fi way if that makes sense, each one getting more ambitious and brilliant. Then they add some studio polish and dial back the weirdness (just a bit) and become super successful. Then after two amazing 'shiny/mainstream' albums they dropped off in quality. Uncanny.

Long Drive = 77, More Songs
    Lonesome Crowded West = Fear of Music
    Moon and Antarctica = Remain in Light
    Good News = Speaking in Tongues
    We Were Dead = Little Creatures
    The rest = the rest

phaynes12 and chewbacca110 like this.
  15. I watched American Utopia over the weekend and it was SO GOOD omg I loved it so much. the DANCING! the DRUMMING! I was so hype the whole time

phaynes12 and chewbacca110 like this.
  16. One Man's Tracks

Naked is underrated because all their albums are incredible. I've got some bias because it's the first vinyl album I bought for more than 2$ but from the opening of Blind to the closing Flowers, it's got pretty much everything I want out of a Heads album. Again, not their best but unjustly overlooked imo.

17. chewbacca110

"Nothing But Flowers" is definitely a Top 10 TH tune, but I am not crazy about much else.

I'm sad U Talkin' Talking Heads to My Talking Head is over now. I have only 56 pages of Chris' book left and he's just now to Stop Making Sense. The tease the Scotts gave about the Rock and Roll HoF induction being a complete mess in the book got me super excited.

18. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

This is the year I became a Talking Heads megafan. I've always liked some of the singles but never took a deep dive until recently. I've already watched Stop Making Sense twice in the last few months.

phaynes12 likes this.
  19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

nice

Matt likes this.
  20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I finally listened to Remain In Light this year and I liked it

21. Matt

can i rank the albums

22. chewbacca110

It's Friday. Why the hell not?

23. Matt

Stop Making Sense is my favorite and I feel that it has the best version of each song, but as far as studio albums go

Remain In Light
    Speaking In Tongues
    Fear Of Music
    More Songs About Buildings And Food
    Little Creatures
    True Stories
    Naked

The bottom two could be flipped and this list could change as time goes on

24. chewbacca110

More Songs About Buildings and Food
    Little Creatures