Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking One Discography to a Desert Island • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 2, 2017.

1. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Hmm that's tough, lots to consider.

Maybe Ryan Adams? I mean dude's got like 15 albums in different genres, though quality dips here and there haha.

I'd also consider The Tragically Hip, they've got a pretty big discography with great lyrics across different styles of music.

Those would be my top choices.

Honourable mention:
    Every Time I Die
    Third Eye Blind
    John Mayer
    Kanye West

2. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Oh wait, Prince. Also would be nice to have access to all his "vaulted" music

JM95 and Ken like this.
  3. johnnyutes

Vaya con Dios Supporter

NFG is my pick

4. septimus

Since the argument on whether you can choose an artist and get all of the bands seems undecided, if allowed, Greta Morgan, there's not even anything else close. Otheewise, hmmmm. Queen.

Spenny likes this.
  5. skoopy

Regular

Sufjan, guy has music in his catalog that fits about any mood.

Serenity Now likes this.
  6. Nb1983

I think I'm gonna have to go with Alkaline Trio.

Former Planets and Turkeylegz like this.
  7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

JEW as well, of course. Hi haters.

8. AshlandATeam

Trusted

If you get future records, JEW is a no brainer since they're still active. Also, they have both quantity and quality.

I'll echo Brian Fallon and Andy Hull as well if you can go with individual artists.

9. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Funeral for a Friend is my favorite band and has a pretty large discography, so that's my immediate thought.

Other good picks for me: Bayside, 311, Chevelle, and Strung Out.

Fun pick: the Punk Goes... series. If I'm dying alone on this island, we're doing it to scene bands covering raps songs.

10. Drew Baldy

Trusted

It would absolutely have to be Fall Out Boy for me (this is me going off the assumption that eps, live albums, and b-sides would also be included):

1. Fall Out Boy's Evening Out With Your Girlfriend
    2. Take This to Your Grave
    3. My Heart Will Always Be the B-Side to My Tongue
    4. From Under the Cork Tree
    5. Infinity on High
    6. Leaked in London
    7. Folie a Deux
    8. Live in Phoenix
    9. Save Rock and Roll
    10. PAX AM Days
    11. American Beauty/American Psycho
    12. Make America Psycho Again
    13. M A N I A
    14. B-Sides (have enough for basically an album)
    15. Covers (have enough for at least an EP)
    16. Remixes (have enough for basically an album)
    17. Features (I would think this would include songs they are featured in as well)

So, for me it would without a doubt be Fall Out Boy. They have a very "evolving" discography and get out of their genre comfort zone enough to where it would definitely be a diverse band to have on a desert island.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  11. As I mentioned to Jason on Twitter yesterday, my heart goes three ways on this one.

1. The Beatles (I don't care if this is an "easy" choice - I've been a fan since I was 4 years old and every band y'all listed on here that came after them owes them something. Every single one.)
    2. Fall Out Boy (keeping it real, you guys. that's one helluva discography.)
    3. Taylor Swift (this one in particular will require Amazon sending a drone over when she puts out new stuff.)

12. Turkeylegz

Trusted

So my gut says Bob Dylan because it is a massive discography with many different styles throughout. The lyrics are storylike and can pass the time.

If I could bring a bookshelf then I would discard Dylan in favor of Green Day (a great Dylan song = a book). I would miss the punk rock sound and decent vocals after awhile. There is simply no right answer.

13. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

I have a weird pick: Elton John. He's a prolific artist in terms of recording. He has 30 studio albums, but yet I only want/need his "classic years" era stuff from 1970-76. If I do ever get bored of it, I can listen to his lesser stuff from the 80s onward, which is hit-or-miss. The only other artist that I can think of that has so many classic albums in such a short span is the Beatles. Here's his output during that '70-'76 period:

Self-Titled (1970)
    Tumbleweed Connection (1970)
    17-11-70 (1971)
    Madman Across The Water (1971)
    Honky Chateau (1972)
    Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player (1973)
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973)
    Caribou (1974)
    Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy ('75)
    Rock of the Westies (1975)
    Blue Moves (1976)
    Here and There (1976)

Anna Acosta likes this.
  14. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Bruce Springsteen. Gaslight anthem (including Brian fallon's stuff. SoCo/Jack's Mannequin/AndrewMcMahon. Minus the bear. Dave Matthews. OAR

15. rbf737

Regular

Jimmy Eat World would be near the top for me. If you left Invented and Damage out they'd be a shoo-in for me. Maybe The National, or in a decade The 1975 if they keep on the arc they're on now.

Bryan Diem and Jason Tate like this.
  16. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Jimmy eat world, radiohead, or my chemical romance I can't decide. If I could feed Britney Jean to the wolves I'd bring Britneys catalog.

skogsraet and Jason Tate like this.
  17. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

1. Portugal. The Man
    2. The National
    3. Andrew McMahon
    4. Sufjan Stevens
    5. Radiohead
    6. Norma Jean
    7. Between the Buried and Me
    8. Beck
    9. The Beatles
    10. Deftones
    11. Kevin Devine

18. BernYourEnthusiasm

I feel like Prince is the obvious answer. Deftones, Radiohead and the Beatles as honorable mentions, all due to varied discographies. I would definitely need a sonically diverse back catalog- somebody like Blink, NFG or Brand New really doesn't offer that if I am being honest.

Serenity Now likes this.
  19. The Wonder Years, without a doubt. Although, I would hope that a "discography" includes side projects by single band members (Aaron West, Why Bother?, and MDK) because that would really make it worth taking with such diversity.

The Beatles are a really close runner up though. Jimmy Eat World is another great choice. I could also go for Paramore, Weatherbox, Sufjan Stevens, Manchester Orchestra, or David Bowie. Wow this is hard. Still, I think The Wonder Years are the only band that could keep satisfying me personally. Brand New is my second favourite band but I echo the fact that they're not diverse enough to be the end-all-be-all band.

EDIT: Damn, Kendrick Lamar and Conor Oberst (all projects) would be great choices too. I love this question because it makes me appreciate how wonderful and diverse music can be!

Turkeylegz likes this.
  20. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Thrice

Davjs and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  21. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Saves The Day. Will always be my favorite band of all time and I've never truly disliked any of their albums to any degree.

22. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

New Found Glory or Sum 41 for me.

To the surprise of nobody in the A1 thread

angrycandy likes this.
  23. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I think it would be Mutemath for me. Hard though because they only have 4 albums.

But damn they're great.

BEsterley likes this.
  24. EarthShifts

Trusted

Kevin Devine.

Honorable Mentions:
    JEW
    My Morning Jacket
    Bruce Springsteen
    Paramore
    Clem Snide
    NFG