Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking One Discography to a Desert Island • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Davjs

Trusted

I would probably place ADTR in my top 10 choices for that reason.

Bayside 182 likes this.
  2. Butch Walker. My all-time favorite songwriter, very large and diverse catalog. There are Butch songs for any and all moods. And they are all excellent.

3. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Iron and Wine, the Beatles, Portugal. The Man, Led Zep, Minus the Bear, Coheed

I would need a band that is upbeat, that varies from album to album, and that has more than 5 albums. Great question!

BEsterley and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  4. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Better make sure you get stranded after the Dunkirk OST is released. Lol

Guys Named Todd, Ken and Jason Tate like this.
  5. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

I keep going back and forth between Anberlin and Paramore. Both extremely diverse catalogues that show off the band's sonic progression and offer a variety of music for varying moods. At the end of the day, I'd probably go with Anberlin just because I have the most personal memories tied to their music and I'm a sucker for nostalgia. Would be nice to reflect on all of the good times I had while I desperately try to crack open a coconut or something.

js977 and generalmills9 like this.
  6. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

Beatles or Radiohead because both of their catalogues evolved

MrAirplane and Ken like this.
  7. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

@Jason Tate - Can I get a ruling here? Do I get the entire Brian Fallon Discography or just Gaslight?

8. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

The Beatles are a great pick regardless.

Pearl Jam is the easy pick for me. Such a diverse, varied, and excellent catalogue with endless live bootlegs that sound like they were recorded in a studio.

Led Zeppelin is also a great pick.

I'd be perfectly happy with listening to Bill Withers for a very, very long time too.

In terms of more modern picks, I'd consider Thrice, The Appleseed Cast, and Cursive.

Sorry I'm going through my thoughts in a post trying to get it out haha. This is a good question.

I'm tempted to say Kanye would be a great choice too, but I'm torn because I feel like I get very tired of him at times.

One of the better options I've come up with is the Dave Brubeck Quartet. A tremendously diverse catalogue with very talented musicians... and a variety of styles too. Lots of influence from Japan and Eurasia which I absolutely love.

Wes Montgomery, Mogwai... ugh too many options.

It's crazy how so many of the current bands I love get thrown out the window with this question.

I'll just go with Brubeck... no, Pearl Jam. Yeah, Pearl Jam.

youwontknow likes this.
  9. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I could give endless answers but right now I'm thinking either Vince Staples or Against Me!

10. Spenny

Regular

I would probably say Thrice, though Fall Out Boy is up there as well.

renoinexile likes this.
  11. Haha, that's the hard part with stuff ... cause Andrew McMahon I feel like is the same way.

12. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

I asked a friend this ages ago - and he actually had a super interesting and practical answer. He would pick one of his favorite movie score composers. Such a diverse catalog of sounds and moods, nostalgic ('cause ur listening to the themes of Jurassic Park or Batman all day), and no lyrics so you can really drink in how shitty life is alone on that f**kin desert island.

For me, I think I'd also go Jimmy Eat World. Brand New's my fave but....Jimmy.

Ken likes this.
  13. hoodrat

Regular

Have to go with The Hold Steady. ETID probably second choice.

14. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Very difficult but I'm gonna say............. Springsteen.

EarthShifts and Turkeylegz like this.
  15. jorbjorb

7 rings

I think it's JEW for me too. That or the 2 - 1975 albums lol

youwontknow likes this.
  16. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

It has to be Circa Survive (preferably this takes place after The Amulet is released). I know they don't have an extremely extensive catalog, and they aren't the most diverse band in the world, but they mean more to me than any other artist, and I never get tired of listening to them.

littlejohn, skogsraet and BEsterley like this.
  17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

This is a rough one. I think I'd have too hard of a time choosing between these:

Paramore
    Fall Out Boy
    Mayday Parade

I might also add All Time Low or A Day To Remember in there.

18. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Actually The Police, but actually playing "Message in a Bottle" over and over again.

19. Mélange

Regular

I couldn't choose to go (possibly) the rest of my life without hearing Nirvana, so that's my choice.

skogsraet and BEsterley like this.
  20. don't fret

Portugal the man's catelog is so varied that I totally agree with that choice.

irthesteve likes this.
  21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It had to come down to Butch Walker and Bruce Springsteen for me. And I ultimately chose Butch, because even though I like Born to Run more than any Butch record (or any record, period), Butch has more records I love front to back and more records in or close to my all-time top 10. Plus, those albums were so formative in my listening, whereas I came to Bruce a little bit later. Weirdly, I feel like I'd be losing a little more of myself if I could never listen to a Butch record again--even if choosing Butch means I never get to listen to "Thunder Road."

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. BleedingDodgerBlue

New Found Glory

johnnyutes likes this.
  23. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Radiohead is first to pop into my head and I think thats a good one to stick to.

Important question though (to me at least), if the band you choose puts out more albums in the future, do they send those albums to the desert island as well?

24. Haha, I hadn't thought of this but I like it.

25. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I think I'd have to pick Yellowcard.