Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday Band • Page 282

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JordanKTM, Apr 25, 2016.

1. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

as a huge tbs fan i think cut me up jenny is one of their best songs and new again is my favourite record by them.

2. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

you should give the latest two a listen. I have some complaints about them here and there, but they’re much better than TBS/NA imo

Mcrx and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  3. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I will say my least favourite thing about New Again is how Adam sometimes sings a line in a verse, then immediately repeats that same line, like in “Sink Into Me” and “Capital M-E” and probably others I’m forgetting at the moment. I know it’s meant for emphasis, but paired with the simpler lyrics that already shape the record in an overt way, it feels a bit low-effort.

Put into context of all that was going on in Adam’s personal life at the time, and the huge change in dynamics for vocal & lyrical duties within TBS, I can’t be truly harsh on him for not delivering his best work, but imo the lyrics are by far the weakest link on New Again, and it’s especially glaring since they only got better with each previous release.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  4. That's surprising. I wonder how much input he has guitar wise.

5. It's kind of telling that despite the repetitiveness of the lyrics, there's nothing on New Again that feels that singalongy. Many choruses lack the catchiness that I expected. Like an actual hook. Louder Now was full of the latter, so it was a jarring change to me at the time.

slimfenix182, Mcrx and Orla like this.
  6. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"carpathia," "summer, man" and "everything must go" (obviously) are some of adam's best lyrics though. and the "see i recall quite perfectly who i was both before and after the drugs" line in "where my mouth is"... exquisite

7. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

i was listening to that song earlier and that part always makes me smile. such an honest line.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  8. Orla Feb 22, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 22, 2020)
    Orla

I didn’t think of that. Great point!

One of the things I really appreciate about Louder Now is how it went for mainstream appeal in such a big and unashamed, but highly clever and still slightly subversive for radio rock way, that still sounded unique to Taking Back Sunday. It had a lot to get right to become as successful as it did, and did a remarkable job sticking the landing.

Hearing “MakeDamnSure” outside the context of 2006 and knowing it was a massive radio/ MTV hit still makes so much sense because there’s no way a song with hooks like that wouldn’t have been. It’s commanding, and the whole record was.

9. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

New Again starts with one of the worst lyrics, possibly ever but other than that I generally like the writing

"Winter Passing"'s lyrics, goddamn

10. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I’ve never had a big problem with the writing on NA, I have more of an issue with the lyrics on Louder Now even, and especially on a lot of their post-reunion material. I think the melodies all over NA are mostly great too. I also think it’s by far their most musically/instrumentally interesting record, even if not every single experiment lands 100%.

11. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

If you cant sing along to "Swing" then I dunno, man.. That is my favorite song from NA.

12. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

NA is definitely my least favorite but I still like New Again, Swing, and EMG...enjoy Capital M-E, Carpathia, and Summer, Man a bit as well, though not as much.

13. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Yeah musically I actually love that song but the lyrics just kill it for me

14. Orla

Does anyone know if Mark ever shared whether not using a click track on TAYF was a creative decision?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  15. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

most likely. where you want to be doesn't have a single drum fill on the whole record.

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

You love to see it

Anthony_, Kingjohn_654, Mcrx and 7 others like this.
  17. Kevin_MI

I'm glad they're finally working on the next album, but it's also sad to see Eddie talk about how he misses playing with them. I'm wondering how TBS will sound without his influence.

Either way I cannot wait, but I hope they can work things out and Eddie can join them again someday.

hongfong00, Kingjohn_654 and Mcrx like this.
  18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I’m interested to hear what Nate’s influence will be. Eddie played a big part writing a lot of guitar parts.

Do we know if there was a fall out with him and the band?

I know he’s been raising his kids and staying sober, but that’s all I know as to why he’s not in the band any longer.

Mcrx likes this.
  19. Mcrx

Regular

Who's the guy with the guitar? He kinda looks like Head from Korn to me. Lol

20. Mcrx

Regular

Not 100percent sure, but I vaguely recall there was some sort of fall out because he is now doing better and I seem to think he was turned down when he asked to come back. I could be wrong though so don't quote me.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  21. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

...Looks like Shaun the bassist.

22. Mcrx

Regular

Yeah, I figured that after looking some more. But thanks!

23. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I'd love a pop record from them.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  24. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

We still really haven't been given the full detail of what went down and I am sure we never will be because it really isn't any of the public's business, but Eddie was absent from touring for well over a year and he admitted to having addiction issues which kept him off the road and away from the band, and i think one can surmise that the issues came to a head where they no longer felt like he could be a member of the band. The band sort of made it seem like an amicable split and said they hope one day he can return, but Eddie's FB posts indicate that bridges were burned. Sad situation from every angle.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  25. schackbr

Regular

Nate will likely not write with them. He hasn't in the past.