Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday Band • Page 266

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JordanKTM, Apr 25, 2016.

1. atlas

Trusted

the Rare Futures album is great idk what y'all are talkin about

2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Apologies if this has already been posted, I feel like it most likely has, but I just watched it this morning and loved it. I miss Fred.

3. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

It has but it’s so nice I’ll watch it twice

aoftbsten, Orla and mattylikesfilms like this.
  4. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Revisited The Needles The Space this morning and it’s truly a drag it bombed & Straylight Run never really found their audience. It really highlights the band’s musicality & capabilities as songwriters, and it was really bold to move further away from pop structures after signing to a major label

John’s mentioned in recent years he was more concerned about being unconventional with the album than it being good, and while production and cohesiveness are weaker spots for sure, most of the tracks really work on their own. Can’t help but wonder what they’d be creating now if they’d have been a financially sustainable band since then

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

The Needles The Space is one of my favorite albums of all-time...by any band.

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm kind of stunned that Straylight never ended up doing just like, a small string of shows here and there while TBS is on a break from writing/touring. It's been so long that I think there'd be a decent demand to fill up some small club shows. They'd definitely do better than John's solo tours, imo.

7. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

Oh hell yeah.. if SR played ANY tour.. Id wanna go for sure. Actually more than for TBS at this point lol.

Kingjohn_654 and teebs41 like this.
  8. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Yeah I never got a chance to see Straylight Run either. Would LOVE to see a show. My wife would enjoy it more than I would probably.

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Saw them twice. Once in 2007 (headlining show) with The Color Fred and Cassino opening. Then again in 2008, opening for Bayside.

Both awesome shows.

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I definitely miss them

11. schackbr

Regular

John's "You don't miss Straylight Run, you just miss being young" tweet is still one of my favorites.

12. Dog Fish

Mutt

one of my favorite shows ever: 2004 - Straylight Run, Say Anything, Hot Rod Circuit, Northstar. Played a venue in Boise Idaho that was so small, that they all decided to play an acoustic set (except for straylight).

13. wow none of those bands exist anymore lol

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  14. Dog Fish

Mutt

So glad I went. My mindset back then: straylight was the "taking back sunday guys' new band," say anything was the band that I heard on the doghouse records sampler i picked up from ashow that had "that one awesome song and the other that started out really weird so I never fully listened to" (alive with the glory and woe), loved northstar, and kinda knew hot rod cause of the "breathe in, exhale" song.

In life, there's those shows where you see bands that later become top tier for you, and think to yourself - "if only I had known what I was witnessing."

Kingjohn_654 and Orla like this.
  15. manoverboard365

Trusted

It was either 2004 or 2005 that I went to the Straylight Run headlining tour. Opening acts were Minus the Bear, The Honorary Title and Spitalfield. Still one of the best bills I've ever seen.

chewbacca110 and Orla like this.
  16. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

hot rod circuit is opening for at least one of the saves the day through being cool shows

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I remember Andy Jackson was the rumored frontrunner to replace Fred for a while. That could have been pretty good.

18. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

Didnt he end up doing Terrible Things with Fred anyways?

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yup and yup. I’m like 95% certain this rumor was true too.

Kingjohn_654 and RJ Knorr like this.
  20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yep. Funny how things worked out.

Kingjohn_654 and mattylikesfilms like this.
  21. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I went to the album release show night 1 at The Downtown on Long Island. He who must not be named was there in a powder blue suit.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Who?

Kyle Max likes this.
  23. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

mattylikesfilms and Kyle Max like this.
  24. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Yup

mattylikesfilms likes this.