Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday Band • Page 262

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JordanKTM, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Listening to WYWTB on the train right now and Fred’s last “YOU GOT IT BAAAAAAD” just matched up perfectly with this yawning guy’s mouth.

2. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

I'm a El Paso fan.

3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

"El Paso" is a pretty good song and a very, very good album opener

Orla and bradsonemanband like this.
  4. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

El Paso is a perfect album opener on s/t AND perfect live opener tbh and I'm bummed they never play it

Orla, bradsonemanband and Rowan5215 like this.
  5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

This is the first time I’m hearing that people dislike El Paso that song friggin rips

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

7. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Prepare to be wrong, John

manoverboard365, irthesteve and Orla like this.
  8. mynamesgeneric

Regular

bradsonemanband likes this.
  9. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Given the choice between having Straylight Run back or being a teenager again, I’d definitely choose Straylight so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

irthesteve likes this.
  10. Replace Straylight Run with Taking Back Sunday and it feels like a tweet that could've been made pre-reunion

11. schackbr

Regular

He's right. One of my least favorite things on Twitter / IG / Social Media is "17 year old me is going crazy".

No, 33 year old you is going crazy because it reminds you of being 17.

I've never understood people's inability to grow with a band.

"It's not as good as their old stuff" is my least favorite argument for any band. Generally it's actually better, but people just don't want to hear it.

BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  12. Kevin_MI

I respectfully disagree. It varies a lot from band to band.

I think a lot of older bands struggle to make compelling music the longer they go. A lot of times they'll become better musicians, but will struggle to write compelling lyrics/songs.

WYWTB and TAYF are my personal favorites, but I'd say Tidal Wave is their best album and will always recommend it to newer fans looking to get into the band. I would never want lyrics like TAYF/WYWTB again. "I'm sad and she broke my heart" just doesn't work when you're in your thirties and married.

Bands like Brand New, The Early November, and Glassjaw have gotten better and better while bands like Circa Survive, Deftones, and Senses Fail have stagnated. They still write great albums, but I think a lot of their creative "juice" is gone so to speak. Sometimes bands can write a bland album, and then turn around a make another hit. Creative ups and downs happen across all mediums.

I love Straylight Run, but current TBS is miles better and I'm glad they're continuing to go without Eddie. I just want them to stop the TAYF tour and as neat as the remastered version will be I just want them to make another album on par with Tidal Wave or Happiness Is.

TBS has not put out a bad album, and the reunion albums have all been fantastic.

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I was with you until you said Circa Survive has stagnated. The Amulet is my favorite of theirs and Descensus is probably my second favorite. I agree with the overall idea though.

14. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Also can’t get down with the idea that Deftones is stagnant either. Gore was admittedly a bit of a mixed bag for me, but still good and showed they’re not afraid to experiment and expand their sound this far into their career. I also would argue that KNY is their second best record, and DE is also ridiculously strong and a lot of fans consider it their best work.

I also personally don’t think TBS had had a great track record post-“reunion” but I don’t see many people agreeing with me on that here. WYWTB thru New Again was their peak for me, and I just don’t think the last three albums have been all that great overall. Some great moments scattered among them, but as a whole they’ve achieved very mixed results to me.

15. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

The post reunion TBS albums are my favorites which is why it's so frustrating watching them do a throwback tour for a year after they already did one a couple years back. I want more of that new shit from Taking Back Sunday, one of the best modern American rock n' roll bands.

withchappedlips likes this.
  16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

HI and WYWTB are co-favs for me and I don’t have a strong opinion on which album run is best but I wish that when they do lean on nostalgia in touring or whatever that they’d expand that to WYWTB and LN more. Seeing TAYF promo is nauseating at this point.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  17. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

TAYF is not a good enough record to warrant being played in full two nights in a row, and tbh it should have just been left behind in 2012 when they did the first anniversary tour.

disambigujason likes this.
  18. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

I'm completely jaded on the whole TAYF nostalgia thing. They've been milking the crap out of it the past few years and I can't wait for that to be done with. Like I'd be stoked if they retired some of the songs like Cute Without the E or So Last Summer from their setlists to make room for songs from their past 3 records (and new again for that matter). That'll never happen in a million years though.

19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I am personally just happy they finally remastered the record.

20. MRose24

Regular

Anyone know if the remastered album will end up on Apple Music?

21. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I believe they tweeted they are attempting to replace the existing streaming versions with only the remaster.

MRose24 and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  22. nickdr921

Regular

Tbh i don’t think Adam is for any of this reunion stuff lol. Seems like he just wants to keep the train rolling forward.

23. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Yeah I get the nostalgia factor, but to me TAYF is an album seen with rose colored shades. It has some gems on it sure, but it’s def a nostalgia album mostly. I’m more excited to hear WYWTB and LN played, and I’d def prefer to hear HI or Tidal Wave in full over TAYF. I’m glad I caught the Tidal Wave small club show in 2016

24. schackbr

Regular

he's said a million times in the past that he never wants to become a nostalgia act. but...then they did like 3 TAYF tours haha

Orla likes this.
  25. manoverboard365

Trusted

TAYF is so overrated in my opinion. Yeah there's definitely some real highs on there, but I'll be fine never hearing songs like Head Club and The Blue Channel ever again.

WYWTB on the other hand is a classic. I really wish the night I go is when they play this.