Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taking Back Sunday Band • Page 249

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JordanKTM, Apr 25, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Taking Back Sunday brings its 20th-anniversary tour (and a unique set-choosing device) to Las Vegas for two shows

This is a good interview with Shaun, he briefly talks about the band recognizing that the response to the reunion wasn't as strong as they thought it'd be.

"There was a definite downturn about eight or nine years ago when [Nolan] and I came back to the band. People did not like this genre of music; they thought it was lame. We put our nose to the grindstone and just went back to work. We were like, “I don’t know if people are responding to this like we thought they would, but we really love doing this.”

RobJGolde and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  2. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I’m glad they persevered despite fans being underwhelmed by S/T and not getting TAYF 2.0. I think them signing with Hopeless also really breathed new life into them and gave them to freedom to explore their full potential.

Davjs likes this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Missed this convo last page but the true way to fix Louder Now is to remove Twenty-Twenty Surgery (one of the band's worst songs) and Error: Operator (decent song that doesn't really fit on the album and didn't need to be on it because it's a soundtrack song) and replaced them with Brooklyn and Sleep.

Kingjohn_654, jordalsh and Rowan5215 like this.
  4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

The verses in Twenty-Twenty Surgery are great. The chorus could have been better but I think it's a pretty good song tbh.

Up Against is easily my least favorite song on the album, and probably bottom 3-5 of their career.

5. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Twenty-Twenty Surgery's pre-chorus alone makes it a lock for remaining over the truly awful Up Against

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  6. Rowan5215

it's not the QUANTITY THAT BOTHERS MEEEEEEEE

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  7. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

What? No. Those two songs are awesome.

So are Brooklyn and sleep. Honestly I’d say replace Up Againt or Miami if something has to go for those

8. I can't imagine cutting anything from Louder Now, just add Brooklyn and Sleep and that's it for me

9. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I can't stand Error Operator, that's an easy cut for me

Rowan5215 and angrycandy like this.
  10. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

hot take “up against” rules

excited to have this convo again though

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I like Up Against more than Twenty-Twenty but they're both bottom-tier songs for me. Then Miami is just above them. Error: Operator isn't bad but it didn't need to be on the album; I personally don't like when bands take soundtrack songs and throw them on their records.

I'll compromise by taking off Up Against, Twenty-Twenty, and Error: Operator, throwing on Brooklyn and Sleep, and making it a lean 10 tracks.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  12. Rowan5215

yeah I'm a fan of not having soundtrack songs on records. like You Gave Your Love To Me Softly is insanely good but I think most people would agree Pinkerton is better off w/o it

Miami also fucking rules btw

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Miami is a great song i wont hear slander

14. Error Operator is one of my favorite TBS songs though!

And it’s news to me that it was even on a soundtrack... haha

15. BTDandFeelingThis

I didn’t either until recently. I always knew it from the album and likely wouldn’t have ever heard that song if it wasn’t on the album.

It’s also awesome live, I won’t accept taking it off the album talk

aoftbsten and bradsonemanband like this.
  16. Rowan5215

not to divert the subject but while we're talking b-sides I a) cannot believe This is Happening didn't make HI and b) cannot believe they never finished You Were Right

both are or had the potential to be top 10ers for me

RobJGolde and aoftbsten like this.
  17. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I used to think Up Against was total garbage until my most recent TBS binge. It’s still probably my least favorite on the album but I find it enjoyable now.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I remember the original version of Error Operator being played on the Macbeth website back in the day along with Burn by Alkaline Trio. I would always repeat those songs when surfing that site lol.

BUT the live version of Error Operator on the Louder Now Live albums is the best.

19. BTDandFeelingThis

I am mad Didn’t See That Coming didn’t make NA. Would have been a top 3 on the album

20. I need to listen to all of TBS’ bsides. I don’t think I’ve heard many of them.

BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  21. Rowan5215

oh yeah Didn't See that Coming is just clearly one of the best from those sessions lol. it flows beautifully into EMG too, I'm convinced that was a tracklist at one point

22. BTDandFeelingThis

Do it now. Right now. Do not post again until you hear all of the HI bSides, Brooklyn, Sleep, Long Time Commin, And Didn’t See That Coming

23. Ok!

EDIT: oops. I didn’t follow instructions.

24. Rowan5215

yeah all three HI b sides are pure fucking quality

25. Sal Paradise

Trusted

Also the self titled bsides while you are at it.